Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re not reading what I am saying
What you’re saying is fantasy. Even if Mike is telling prospective candidates they can afford to have TWO mulligan years and then will get an appropriate amount of time to rebuild their team around a new QB, those coaches know the reality is if they ain’t winning in Year 3, their ass is grass no matter what line of BS Bidwill sold them 3 years earlier.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There’s a midpoint between Kyler’s contract and a rookie deal.

You can get a Mariota/Jameis/Trubisky type for a year or two while you build the rest of your roster and then drop the rookie into a more supportive situation.
You could, but there is no guarantee you will be in a better spot than #3 in the draft next year. Defintely would be a gamble to pass up on Levis, Stroud or Richardson in hopes you are in the top 2 next year or will be able to trade into that spot.

I am good with drafting a rookie and starting Colt McCoy this season. I really like Anthony Richardson even though he needs some work. He and Stroud are my favorites this year but they need as much of a full year as you can give them.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You could, but there is no guarantee you will be in a better spot than #3 in the draft next year. Defintely would be a gamble to pass up on Levis, Stroud or Richardson in hopes you are in the top 2 next year or will be able to trade into that spot.
That’s fine. I don’t need a top 3 pick at quarterback to be successful. If I have a well-built roster and a top 10 pick, I can trade up and get my guy.

Like what the 49ers did with Trey Lance.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I’ve said multiple times Bidwill needs to be framing the job to any prospective candidate as guaranteeing them a crack at a second QB if Kyler fails.
And I’ve said multiple times, no smart coach is going to believe that line of BS because NO COACH GETS THAT KIND OF TIME. That’s reality in the NFL.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I am good with drafting a rookie and starting Colt McCoy this season. I really like Anthony Richardson even though he needs some work. He and Stroud are my favorites this year but they need as much of a full year as you can give them.
I really don’t know why you’re so hell-bent on being the Andrew Luck-Colts.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
And I’ve said multiple times, no smart coach is going to believe that line of BS because NO COACH GETS THAT KIND OF TIME. That’s reality in the NFL.
I mean, the Jets are right over there…

…I get what you’re saying, but it’s not impossible. But Michael just fired three dudes a year after handing them long-term contracts. He’s probably not super-credible.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That’s fine. I don’t need a top 3 pick at quarterback to be successful. If I have a well-built roster and a top 10 pick, I can trade up and get my guy.

Like what the 49ers did with Trey Lance.
And I think, as of now and probably at the times as well, 49ers would have been better keeping their picks and drafting Fields instead.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I really don’t know why you’re so hell-bent on being the Andrew Luck-Colts.
I have a LT. It is a deep draft class for OL, especially C. I feel like I can add picks by trading some or all of Hopkins, Kyler and Brown. At worst I am adding 2nd and 3rd rounders. I can fill a hole on the OL in FA without Kyler's contract long term...either Jawaan Taylor or Conner McGovern or Dalton Riser. I might be able to bring back Will Hernandez who was fine.

I can add a RB easy especially if I am going to be run dominant on offense.

Defensively the HC would need to figure out what works with the new scheme and then add bodies as they are avaiable.

The Colts failed because of their GM. We are counting on not having that problem.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Disagree. Having an unproven #1 pick enables you to build a roster that enables you to trade assets and get a better guy. If I go to Carolina, draft a QB, I can build an Eagles level roster and I have no problem hiding my QB because I can under that contract.
But that ignores:

1. You may not have the draft position/capital to get an unproven QB (let’s not pretend that anyone drafted after the first round has a high probability of success);
2. There may not actually be a worthwhile unproven QB available (for instance I think this years crop of top QBs stinks); and
3. Unproven. Using your own word an unproven QB may be the greatest gamble in the nfl.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I can argue that trading Kyler Murray for whatever you can get, drafting Anthony Richardson, and then stacking a roster with talent is exactly what Philly did when they traded Wentz and drafted Jalen Hurts.
Except hurts had a lot more success at the collegiate level.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
But that ignores:

1. You may not have the draft position/capital to get an unproven QB (let’s not pretend that anyone drafted after the first round has a high probability of success);
2. There may not actually be a worthwhile unproven QB available (for instance I think this years crop of top QBs stinks); and
3. Unproven. Using your own word an unproven QB may be the greatest gamble in the nfl.
Again...I can mitigate or replace a QB on a rookie deal easier than I can improve Kyler. (IMO of course)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, the Jets are right over there…

…I get what you’re saying, but it’s not impossible. But Michael just fired three dudes a year after handing them long-term contracts. He’s probably not super-credible.
Bingo.