Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We gave Kyler a contract extension because the media was crapping on us and now the media is crapping on us for giving it to him. Placating the media is the worst reason to do anything as an organization.
placating the media under any circumstances is the worst thing...PERIOD.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler has had Dj Humphries, Kelvin Beachum, and Justin Pugh for 3 or 4 years of his career. Those are three legit NFL starters.
I feel like you know 2/3 are average at best.

Then, you’re probably going to counter with Kyler needing a good OL to play at a high level as if that’s not supposed to be a GM’s job.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is the issue. Technically speaking these leaks could be true that “Kyler is the problem” if the candidates are being told by ownership that they have to keep him until 2026/27.

But at its roots that’s an ownership gaffe not Kyler’s issue if the job is being sold in that way.
I mean, you brought up that you can move off of Kyler after 2024 season. That only matters if you aren't sold on Kyler as your QB of the future. Otherwise, if you are cutting or trading Kyler after 2024, that coach is getting fired.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty sure if that were the case it would've already been announced - plus I just don't see Mikey and Monti setting up a black coach to fail on a one year contract only to discard them afterwards. I think whomever we hire will be a legit decision and have a few years to right the ship. This is Monti's first HC hire, if I were him I wouldn't do the whole "place holder" thing

If it's Vance it will be late, and it will be because they couldn't get anyone they liked better.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Fully expecting Vance as a one year place holder now
My opinion is they'd have to give him a 5 year deal with knowing he was HC for at LEAST 3 of those before considering firing him. I could only see this scenario if they were keeping Vance until they could jettison KM and then rinse and repeat a HC search.
Hopefully, this will NOT occur.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I feel like you know 2/3 are average at best.

Then, you’re probably going to counter with Kyler needing a good OL to play at a high level as if that’s not supposed to be a GM’s job.
I think both Humphries and Pugh have been above average starters at their positions for the Cardinals while Kyler has been here. Both stayed reasonably healthy when Kyler played. Beachum is an average NFL vet, agree but that should not be discounted.

I agree that every QB needs a competent offensive line to be consistently successful. While I don't believe Kyler ever had a top 10 offensive line, but I do believe he had a top 20 offensive line for at least half of his 4 year career.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I mean, you brought up that you can move off of Kyler after 2024 season. That only matters if you aren't sold on Kyler as your QB of the future. Otherwise, if you are cutting or trading Kyler after 2024, that coach is getting fired.
Again - if we are not pitching the job for the coach getting the opportunity to get a second QB in ‘24 or ‘25 assuming Kyler fails then that’s on the owner not Murray.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the issue. Technically speaking these leaks could be true that “Kyler is the problem” if the candidates are being told by ownership that they have to keep him until 2026/27 and that the mandate is to fix Kyler.

But at its roots that’s an ownership gaffe not Kyler’s issue if the job is being sold in that way.

Let’s use an example of say Isaiah Simmons. Pretend Michael Bidwill was interviewing candidates and telling them they have to start Simmons for the next 5 years and the mandate is to get him to a Pro Bowl level thus leading candidates to hesitate at taking the job. In that scenario who’s fault would it be that we had you bow hiring coaches - Isaiah Simmons or Michael Bidwill?

We just inventing stuff now?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It won't be a 1 year deal. It will be a 3 year deal at $2.5m a year.
You literally said it would be Vance as a 1 year placeholder. I don't care if the new coach signs a 10 year deal for $100 million...Ain't no way, regardless if they are black or white, that Mike is firing them after year 1.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You literally said it would be Vance as a 1 year placeholder. I don't care if the new coach signs a 10 year deal for $100 million...Ain't no way, regardless if they are black or white, that Mike is firing them after year 1.

Yeah. 3 year deal. Fired after 1.

Let's not pretend they can't. Texans just did it 2 years in a row.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Again - if we are not pitching the job for the coach getting the opportunity to get a second QB in ‘24 or ‘25 assuming Kyler fails then that’s on the owner not Murray.
But that is the reality of any HC who you are asking to inherit and tie their career to an underachieving QB. The contract and injury are just the cherries on top of the buyer beware situation.

Like what does Lou Aranumo or Brian Flores or whomever offer to improve Kyler? What sort of experience do any of them have that improving a QB? The general answer is playing good defense and limiting the QB but that is a path for failure with a QB who will be making 40+ mil per year after 2023, the year he is coming off an ACL injury.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not going to argue with you. I know, for a fact, that Bidwill has a bad reputation of being very difficult to work for and has his hands in everything.

That’s his right as an owner. But, guys who have built their careers in coaching and personnel don’t want a clueless owner questioning every move and micromanaging their job.
Agree 100%, he learned that from his Daddy. His father was the same way, only a lot cheaper.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
But that is the reality of any HC who you are asking to inherit and tie their career to an underachieving QB. The contract and injury are just the cherries on top of the buyer beware situation.

Like what does Lou Aranumo or Brian Flores or whomever offer to improve Kyler? What sort of experience do any of them have that improving a QB? The general answer is playing good defense and limiting the QB but that is a path for failure with a QB who will be making 40+ mil per year after 2023, the year he is coming off an ACL injury.
You’re not reading what I am saying

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lmao you even back track on your back tracks

What's backtracking? You really think in 5 minutes I changed my mind?

There's no such thing as a 1 year head coach contract in the NFL. So when I said "1 year placeholder" it was with that full knowledge. You can think what you like.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't need to wait to interview them. Steichen (sp?) is interviewing with Colts for 2nd time tomorrow. It appears AZ isn't interested in them, at this point. They could have easily requested permission and interviewed them already.
Since we haven’t interviewed them once, we now have to wait until after the SB to get that 1st interview. It’s possible that we weren’t initially interested, but seeing how everything has played out, we may now be interested. If we’re not, we should be. No one on this board should question the ineptitude of the Bidwill family. We need to stop pointing fingers at our coaches, GM’s, QB’s, etc & realize the problem has ALWAYS been at the top for decades now.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
What's backtracking? You really think in 5 minutes I changed my mind?

There's no such thing as a 1 year head coach contract in the NFL. So when I said "1 year placeholder" it was with that full knowledge. You can think what you like.
First you said one year

We shot that down

Then you switched to 3 years

We were like nope

Then you go with 3 years but 1 year and act like that's what you meant the whole time lol it's like you think we're all idiots not seeing you're just throwing stuff out there hoping it'll stick, or maybe the attempts of being controversial is just your schtick

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You’re not reading what I am saying
Once again. If these are the two paths to success for our next HC. (which I think most would agree with)

A. Get Kyler back to being a top 12 QB.

B. Trade Kyler this year, and build a top end roster with a QB on a rookie contract.

If Mike pitches Kyler as a great opportunity to potential HCs, what is the pitch of the candidate? What remaining candidate has any credible history or experience in doing A? And if no history or experience, how do they do that?

I would argue there are far more candidates who are capable of executing option B.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If Mike goes to Brian Flores and says Kyler is great QB, needs to be unlocked, and what is your plan to do that? What can Brian Flores say that is actually believable and not Mike buying into a completely flawed and failure of a plan?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave