Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
the Kyler thing is a real wild card

the Cards are committed to him for the next two seasons at a minimum.

For the HC candidate, his outcomes are:

1. Kyler works. Hurray.
2. Kyler doesn't work, and he is out of a job after two years.
3. Kyler doesn't work, he still has a job, but no QB and a slug of dead cap money going forward.

The good news on 3 is that if that's the path you take, in two years he only carries $12.4 million in dead cap if released in 2025. That's an extremely manageable number, and he goes away 100% after that.

You can with most QB's in spurts. The question is can he do it consistently.

I've said it before but my biggest concern is Kyler having to learn a pro style offense with traditional verbiage and get 200+ plays down. Then, once he's done all that, apply all the checks at the LOS that are expected of a QB. Then once he's done all that, learn to accurately apply those brand new plays while using the options to adjust for what the defense is doing.

He's basically having to learn Chinese in 6 months after never speaking a word of anything but English.

And do all that while rehabbing from a serious knee injury.

I've posted this before, it's a great video and Cam is very good in it. I just struggle to see Kyler handling this for the first time at 26.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cam Newton is underrated for being awesome. He's a real-life kaiju. I believe the Broncos' shamefully targeting his head in the Super Bowl fundamentally altered the course of his career.

I think you mean 4K yards.

And he would have done so in 2020 if not being knocked out of most of the last game of season. He missed 3 games in 2021.

He averaged 248 YPG in 2020
He averaged 270 YPG in 2021

He only had 2 starting caliber wrs (at the same time) for 1 game in 2022.

Surprising from Chop. Keim level of advanced scouting.

Well, yes. Kyler's inability to stay healthy/productive as the season wears along is a fundamental problem or question about him.

In the fantasy world I live in, Kyler's thrown for 4500+ yards each season!

I'm not saying hide.

I'm saying take a page out of the Pete Carroll playbook. Bring Kyler along slowly. Play good defense and run the ball.

Yikes. It's crazy that the #1 Kyler Murray Advocate is now saying "Maybe just put him in a cage -- treat him like Jalen Hurts (only don't let him QB sneak!).

No - it's not. I explained why we can't have Kyler as a game manager. You can't afford superior talent around him with a big contract. Russ/Kap worked BECAUSE they were on rookie contracts. If Keim were a good GM, we would have followed the formula.

He was a leading MVP candidate just a year ago - he has the talent, it's a matter of whether or not he'll grow up and live up to his potential. HE'S NOT A GAME MANAGER.

Kyler is one person to fix - the rest of the roster needs lots of work, but a transcendent QB can cover up for a lot of flaws, as we saw in 2021.

Kyler was an embarrassing failure just a year ago, having posted an embarrassing playoff performance after collapsing down the stretch and backing his way into the postseason. We're 26 days away from the first anniversary of his agent's letter.

Its also funny that the most coveted coach Sean Payton (or at least top 2) was said to have loved Kyler Murray by Ian Rappoport.

Either its from people close to DeMeco or its possible Flores has said he's not interested. Either way seems we have other candidates heavily interested.

Copium, I guess.

If its Aaron Glenn I would guess Joe Lombardi would be OC. Assuming he doesnt go to Denver.

:barf:

From the dude who is close to the Cards.

I mean, for someone who parsed a tweet that you didn't like so closely, this is pretty clearly and literally Just One Man's Opinion.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The good news on 3 is that if that's the path you take, in two years he only carries $12.4 million in dead cap if released in 2025. That's an extremely manageable number, and he goes away 100% after that.

Cam Newton is underrated for being awesome. He's a real-life kaiju. I believe the Broncos' shamefully targeting his head in the Super Bowl fundamentally altered the course of his career.

Well, yes. Kyler's inability to stay healthy/productive as the season wears along is a fundamental problem or question about him.

In the fantasy world I live in, Kyler's thrown for 4500+ yards each season!

Yikes. It's crazy that the #1 Kyler Murray Advocate is now saying "Maybe just put him in a cage -- treat him like Jalen Hurts (only don't let him QB sneak!).

Kyler was an embarrassing failure just a year ago, having posted an embarrassing playoff performance after collapsing down the stretch and backing his way into the postseason. We're 26 days away from the first anniversary of his agent's letter.

Copium, I guess.

:barf:

I mean, for someone who parsed a tweet that you didn't like so closely, this is pretty clearly and literally Just One Man's Opinion.
I'll agree that Cam was never the same after his head slammed repeatedly into the turf. Well that and getting his shoulder torn up.

Kyler being physically incapable of playing a full season is a legit question. Questioning his arm because he missed a certain passing mark without factoring in injuries is silly.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Keep in mind that there are only 32 HC jobs. And about 4-5 are open every year. To wait for a better job opportunity or not. That is the question. My question is how many guys who decided to wait are still waiting?
Exactly. Hot candidate this year is yesterdays news the next. Think bienemy wished he interviewed for our spot when he passed?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'll agree that Cam was never the same after his head slammed repeatedly into the turf. Well that and getting his shoulder torn up.

Kyler being physically incapable of playing a full season is a legit question. Questioning his arm because he missed a certain passing mark without factoring in injuries is silly.

Kyler isn't the only QB to miss games here or there/not finish the season at 100%. In 2021 10 QBs passed for over 4000 yards and two QBs (Brady and Herbert) passed for over 5000 yards. Joe Burrow that year passed for over 4600 yards coming off a major knee injury that cost him a substantial portion of his rookie season.

This year both Burrow and Allen managed to pass for over 4000 yards while missing games with injury. The standard for elite-ish QB play is 4000 yards, and Murray hasn't managed to meet that standard in four tries.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Agree. Saying you want Daniel jones is decency bias based more on coaching than QB potential imo.
I wish this board had more of a decency bias.

Daniel Jones is better right now than Kyler Murray has been in the past 18 months. Plenty of reasons why it doesn't have to stay that way -- it probably won't!

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kyler isn't the only QB to miss games here or there/not finish the season at 100%. In 2021 10 QBs passed for over 4000 yards and two QBs (Brady and Herbert) passed for over 5000 yards. Joe Burrow that year passed for over 4600 yards coming off a major knee injury that cost him a substantial portion of his rookie season.

This year both Burrow and Allen managed to pass for over 4000 yards while missing games with injury. The standard for elite-ish QB play is 4000 yards, and Murray hasn't managed to meet that standard in four tries.
You're right about one thing. In the imaginary world of Kyler playing 17 games he throws for 4600 yards 2021. Maybe even more if we imagine world where he has his #1 wr playing as well.

Again this feels like a different argument. It was in regard to his arm. And his ARM is great enough. His BODY just has to be on the field.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well its that and missing Hopkins for 11 straight games. He was actually ok with Hopkins.

It sucks, but he's clearly a guy who needs a #1 Wr at this point in his career unlike the Mahomes or Brady's of the world.
I don’t know how we claim mahomes doesn’t have a #1 when kelce had 120/1350/14 this year and is the second leading receiver in most categories in playoff history. Who cares if he’s a TE? That’s a #1.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Johnny Venerable

In Aaron Glenn's two seasons as the Detroit Lions' DC, the team has ranked in the bottom five in both points and yards allowed per game. That's not everything but it's not nothing.
That hire would very much feel like a version of hiring a college head coach who was just fired from his alma mater.

You can say he’s being hired for more than just defense but that doesn’t mean you can’t look and see that he failed at his primary task the past two years: build and coach a great defense. Failure is failure, even when there are excuses/reasons. And we need less, not more, of it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
LOL, you must be misremembering. Here's a breakdown to jog your memory:

They had a pretty good RB! He ran for almost 1300 yards. The trio of Harvin/Baldwin/Tate was very good, and Zach Miller was a pro bowler. They had Okung and Unger at O-line.

This team was loaded on both sides of the ball.

He was terrible - does that make him a game manager now?

Your guess is as good as mine - last year really rocked my faith in the guy.
You lost me here.

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
Glenn is getting a lot of strong looks from Indy too, so it’s not just because he knows Kyler. He must be rocking these interviews.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t know how we claim mahomes doesn’t have a #1 when kelce had 120/1350/14 this year and is the second leading receiver in most categories in playoff history. Who cares if he’s a TE? That’s a #1.
And Brady had Moss & Gronk, two of the better weapons in NFL history for at least more than half of his career.

Lets stop this narratives that QBs are playing at a high level with Walmart-workers as their WR1/TE1!

And no, this is NOT excusing Kyler’s pathetic play with Hopkins.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
dan quinn.....he decides to stay in dallas,...and suddenly Kellen Moore says screw this **** and bails for the chargers after like 15 years in dallas.
my speculation, is Moore wanted to be HC in dallas,...but Jerry promised the job to quinn if they dont go to the super bowl next year...which pissed moore off so he bailed.

He’s been a coach in Dallas since 2018. Almost 15 years. If you want to count his time as a player, almost 10 years.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
You lost me here.
I'm not going to put up much of a fight about WR on a run heavy team. The Seahawks had plenty of talent on offense as well - Marshawn/Mack were elite talent at the time, and they had plenty of other good players.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I want a coach who hates the Niners as much as I do!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the dude who is close to the Cards.

If he was healthy, didn’t look like garbage for the last 1.5 seasons and didn’t have a massive contract, maybe.

But I find it very strange that people are confused at the idea that Kyler might be looked at more baggage than carrot for coaches right now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose