Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What I think you and @Chopper0080 aren't understanding is that I don't think the Cardinals are going to "fix" him.

Their only path is to wait until they can move on and improve the fundamentals of the team.

Make him early career Russell Wilson.
If this is the plan, the Cardinals are better off trading Kyler for whatever they can get and drafting a QB at 3 who will give them the cap flexibility to build a roster to actually execute this plan.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
maybe

i think it comes down to the assessment of what happened to him in the later 5 games of 2021 and all of 2022-- because the 2020 and first 10 games of 2021 version of Kyler Murray has a great deal to like.

Could it be that he got his big contract and mailed it in? maybe, but that doesnt explain 2021.

It should be pointed out that the first 10 games of 2021 were the best offensive line he played behind in his NFL career. The later half of 2021 and 2022 was when the offensive line revolving door hit its high point.

correlation doesnt prove causation, but its worth noting.

Its also worth noting that Matt Stafford won a SB when his o-line was healthy all year -- and this year between Whitworth retiring and their revolving door on the line, the offense was a shambles.
Well its that and missing Hopkins for 11 straight games. He was actually ok with Hopkins.

It sucks, but he's clearly a guy who needs a #1 Wr at this point in his career unlike the Mahomes or Brady's of the world.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
His arm is pretty fantastic too. A real leader would believe they can fix him. I've taken on a number of troubled Soldiers and "fixed" them to a degree or influenced them to be significantly better.
I agree that a real leader significantly increases the chance of success. However, Murray still has to want to change. I’ve also dealt with literally thousands of leadership solutions and good leaders are good because they can typically motivate. That said I’ve also encountered people who weren’t able to be motivated. That’s a smaller group but it’s a reality That it exists. I hope that’s not the case with Murray, but time will tell if the Cards get someone who motivates the vast majority of the others.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Johnny Venerable

In Aaron Glenn's two seasons as the Detroit Lions' DC, the team has ranked in the bottom five in both points and yards allowed per game. That's not everything but it's not nothing.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If this is the plan, the Cardinals are better off trading Kyler for whatever they can get and drafting a QB at 3 who will give them the cap flexibility to build a roster to actually execute this plan.
Trading him and taking a cap hit this year that no team has ever absorbed. That's not smart.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, turning him into a game manager ala Russ and the Seahawks is even more unrealistic than Kyler getting turned around by another coach.

Fixing Kyler requires one person - to recreate the Russ environment, we'll need an all time D, a controlling offensive line and run game. Long story short - either you can fix Kyler or dump him. Trying to turn him into old school Kap/Russ is not possible with the current roster.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah, turning him into a game manager ala Russ and the Seahawks is even more unrealistic than Kyler getting turned around by another coach.
Nothing unrealistic about it. It's the only choice at this point.

What's unrealistic is expecting Murray to become Patrick Mahomes or cutting him right now.
Fixing Kyler requires one person - to recreate the Russ environment, we'll need an all time D, a controlling offensive line and run game. Long story short - either you can fix Kyler or dump him. Trying to turn him into old school Kap/Russ is not possible with the current roster.
LOL. You think fixing Kyler takes one person?!?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Better off is not how many would describe a trade that necessitates taking an $80m+ dead money hit in 2023.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we don't have a HC by Monday, we can't announce anything until after the SB, right?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Nothing unrealistic about it. It's the only choice at this point.
No - it's not. I explained why we can't have Kyler as a game manager. You can't afford superior talent around him with a big contract. Russ/Kap worked BECAUSE they were on rookie contracts. If Keim were a good GM, we would have followed the formula.
What's unrealistic is expecting Murray to become Patrick Mahomes or cutting him right now.
He was a leading MVP candidate just a year ago - he has the talent, it's a matter of whether or not he'll grow up and live up to his potential. HE'S NOT A GAME MANAGER.
LOL. You think fixing Kyler takes one person?!?
Kyler is one person to fix - the rest of the roster needs lots of work, but a transcendent QB can cover up for a lot of flaws, as we saw in 2021.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Kafka is fascinating. I think he might be good for Murray. Still his lack of broad coaching experience would make the leap to HC huge. That is often the thing that produces failure. It‘s a lot to ask to learn how to do so many new things. Even college HCs are often challenged making the transition to the NFL with so many personnel management issues. It would have be one great interview, especially his thinking on staff.
The league has gone to the well too much on the OC position. The remaining guys just dont have the experience.. some of the DC guys do but everyone wants offense

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Top prospect evaluator & professional scout had this report from the Senior Bowl. It checks with what others & I have posted. He’s very credible. “Why is the Arizona Cardinals head coach job taking so long to fill? If you are to believe what people in Mobile are saying, it’s due to Kyler Murray — and it’s not because the quarterback has a large say in the matter.

Rather, many of the desired candidates don’t want to take the job knowing they’ll be tied to the hip of Murray for the next four seasons. Murray signed a five-year, $230 million contract in late August, and anyone who takes the Cardinals job will have no options in the foreseeable future at quarterback.”

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well its that and missing Hopkins for 11 straight games. He was actually ok with Hopkins.

It sucks, but he's clearly a guy who needs a #1 Wr at this point in his career unlike the Mahomes or Brady's of the world.

Right. Let's neglect to mention that Brady and Mahomes had/have two first-ballot Hall of Fame tight-ends.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose