Trey Mcbride has only 129 receiving yards in 10 starts

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brit saying he'd seen enough from McBride to "see" he was going to be a good player does not equate any statistical or logical proof that this was or is the case. Early in this thread was your typical blame Kyler for everything approach.

Any old hack can look at a stat sheet and say "This guys good, he has stats".

His physical talent was obvious both from college and his early games for us. Which was why I had no concerns about him long term. Talent will always win out.

You can argue we shouldn't have drafted a tight end and I agree. I said so at the time. But in regards to McBride himself I never had any concerns he would be worth the pick long term.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

His physical talent was obvious both from college and his early games for us. Which was why I had no concerns about him long term. Talent will always win out.

You can argue we shouldn't have drafted a tight end and I agree. I said so at the time. But in regards to McBride himself I never had any concerns he would be worth the pick long term.
You haven't had any concerns with him doesn't equate to evidence of any kind. You were blindly supportive of the kid. That's okay; you're a fan. Fans do this sometimes. You kept trying to present it as fact, which it was not. But, hey, the kid starting to come good means we all win, so let's be happy and kill the arguing, eh?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You haven't had any concerns with him doesn't equate to evidence of any kind. You were blindly supportive of the kid. That's okay; you're a fan. Fans do this sometimes. You kept trying to present it as fact, which it was not. But, hey, the kid starting to come good means we all win, so let's be happy and kill the arguing, eh?

lol ok

I watched him play and concluded that he was physically and technically up to the NFL then said I had no concerns about him. And I was proven correct.

But that doesn't matter because there was no evidence? Hilarious.

It wasn't blind faith. There are plenty of players on this team I don't rate. Byron Murphy being one of them. Simmons another.

There was no evidence he was going to be bad but that didn't stop people piling on.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The thing is you have to understand the player's role. On the Bill Simmons Podcast (I know; it's just a lifelong habit), one guy says every so often that there are probably 60 guys in the NBA who could average 30+ PPG. The reason why they don't is there are only so many possessions to go around.

Hollywood Brown is an interesting tweener. You can force-feed him the ball as a #1 and he'll get 100 receptions and around 1000 yards, but he's not going to get you anywhere. Did you see enough from him to decide whether he can be an effective complementary target across from/alongside DHop? Does it even matter, or can we live in hope that someone can draft and develop a good #1/#2 with some size?

McBride seems more productive because he went from getting four targets in the first 10 weeks of his pro career to getting 4.5 targets per game. How did that happen? A bunch of the other receiving options fell away — those targets had to go somewhere.

Zach Ertz has a $12.8 million cap number next season; maybe they can get him to take a haircut on his $8.75 million base salary. Keim sucks so much.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zach Ertz has a $12.8 million cap number next season; maybe they can get him to take a haircut on his $8.75 million base salary. Keim sucks so much.
People love to rail about Connor's contract, but there are several that are worse. Including this one, and we already drafted Ertz's replacement, lol.

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not sure where McBride is considered a bust? He Started 13 games, He had 4 penalties(2 False Starts, 1 in CAR game, 1 in first SEA game, 2 holding calls in MIN game.
He had 3 catches in LVR game with 3 targets, other than that he had 0 targets thru game 9. Game 10 is when Ertz was hurt. He was 1 target and 1 catch in game 10, after that 35 targets with 25 catches. Until Ertz was injured he was only targeted in the LVR game. By the way Ertz had 5 penalties in his 10 games.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'm not sure where McBride is considered a bust? He Started 13 games, He had 4 penalties(2 False Starts, 1 in CAR game, 1 in first SEA game, 2 holding calls in MIN game.
He had 3 catches in LVR game with 3 targets, other than that he had 0 targets thru game 9. Game 10 is when Ertz was hurt. He was 1 target and 1 catch in game 10, after that 35 targets with 25 catches. Until Ertz was injured he was only targeted in the LVR game. By the way Ertz had 5 penalties in his 10 games.
I think it was the timing of the penalties killing drives, they low key hype from being our first pick when we had TE assets ahead of him that made people feel, wow, this guy must be GOOD. I think he wil be good. Could we have used a center more? Or edge rusher, etc? I think the way the season played out hurt this kid, too. It wasn't his fault he had a Zack Ertz in front of him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree. He may not have been the right selection, but as a player I believe he will be a part of our success, whatever that may be.

And one really impressive catch and run where he looked like a TE trying to be tackled by smaller guys. That was a glimpse of what I hope to see more of next season.

A) he’s not exactly getting seam opportunities. That’s a kliff problem, not McBride.

B) data set isn’t large enough to be considering numerically significant at present.

I’m not a McBride fan, but neither am I a hater. It’s just too early to call him a bum.

We got our AUSTIN HOOPER!!!!! Yeeeeaaahhhh!

Agree. Will he be all pro or pro bowler? Doubt it. Can he start for us for 8-10 years without major injury? It’s early, but I think he may be able to do so. Maybe 350-650 yards per season with plus blocking.

Eh he’s got almost 200 yards with two games left in a season where he’s played with backups because he wasn’t getting on the field behind ertz and due to being a rookie.

Hmm I get the point you’re trying to make, but comparing a guy who likely ends up with < 200 yards to guys who almost doubled or tripled that seems like a disingenuous argument. Also errs has been gone for essentially 6 games with no other real competition for mcbride and he hasn’t produced what ertz was producing.

I’m still optimistic about the kid, but I certainly see and understand (a) the reasons for concern; and (b) the criticism of the pick.

(A) You’re right man. No one here has any opinion on football worth a penny. Don’t know what I was thinking.

(B) Everything you do must be either a complete 100% success or an abject disaster with no possibility for anything in between if you honestly think critical analysis is just “habitual bitching.”

Other than having 92 receptions and close to the 1,000 yards his first two years, you were spot on with Gonzales.

No one has any idea what we have long term with this kid yet. He’s shown glimpses. Today was a nice performance for example. But to say anyone criticizing him is just habitual bitching is, well, your own form of habitual bitching I guess.

7-78 and a touchdown is not an “average game. If so the average tightend would average 119 receptions for 1,326 yards and 17 TDs. At least try to be honest with your arguments.

All those players are playing for contracts, their careers and money. Don’t fool yourself if you think that wasn’t against an NFL defense.

And with kliff gone I suspect a more savvy coach will actually explore that potential.
So it looks like the poster in the other thread calling me a mcbride hater is just a flat out liar. I don’t use that word often or lightly, even when people misconstrue my statements or put words in my mouth. But all of this is pretty damn supportive, if not always 100% excited (but almost always hopeful) about mcbride. And it also supports my contention that his lack of production was due more to being buried behind ertz, coaching, and a non-pro system than due to his own lack of effort - these are all comments in real time, not recollection.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So it looks like the poster in the other thread calling me a mcbride hater is just a flat out liar. I don’t use that word often or lightly, even when people misconstrue my statements or put words in my mouth. But all of this is pretty damn supportive, if not always 100% excited (but almost always hopeful) about mcbride. And it also supports my contention that his lack of production was due more to being buried behind ertz, coaching, and a non-pro system than due to his own lack of effort - these are all comments in real time, not recollection.

This thread is full of McBride slander but ok

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

*cough* Told you *cough*

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
good news: looks like the Cards may have an upper half of the NFL starting TE for the first time in 30 something years

i also think that having a running game people respect frees the TE to get favorable matchups -- which this might be the most competent running game since ... I dont know when

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads