I am not saying Colt is great (he is not) but..

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That game and the first Seattle game are the only losses that bother me and Seattle is 6-4 and it was on the road so that one doesn’t even stick too much.

But that first Rams game sucks. That team has stunk on ice from the first snap of the season on TNF and that was a home game where the D played well enough to win, but Kyler just stunk up the joint.

The defense gave up points on the Rams first 3 drives. The Rams also averaged 7.4 yards per play, which was their highest per play average of the season by almost 2 yards.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Understandable take, I just don’t feel like Kyler has forgotten how to play football. Think there are many factors playing into how this season has played out thus far.
The biggest factor has been the QB regressing. There are other factors, but when your $250 million quarterback regresses as bad as Kyler has, that's problem #1 right out the gate.

Look at yesterday's Bengals/Steelers game. Against a tough defense and under constant pressure, with a sucky OL, without his top receiver or RB for most of the game, and with several practice squad players on offense, JB was nails. All the other factors were against him, but he elevated the team.

If we got that from KM this season, we easily win the division. That's a lot to ask, though. If we get that even intermittently from KM, we're in the playoffs this season. Instead we've gotten the opposite.

As bad as KK has been at times, as many injuries as we've had, he's undoubtedly the story of the season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My guess, (and I would like to think it is an educated one) is this is because we utilize the shotgun so much and how teams rush Kyler (contain vs crash to the pocket).
So kliff’s only counter is to acquiesce to the other team boxing us in play style-wise? Not very indicative of an offensive genius.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So kliff’s only counter is to acquiesce to the other team boxing us in play style-wise? Not very indicative of an offensive genius.
It's hard to think that you're not being intentionally obtuse to not at least nod to the idea that he's also boxed in by his mercurial quarterback who will do what he wants when he wants, and not otherwise.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I’ll admit to being partially purposefully obtuse if you own the hyperbole.
What’s the hyperbole? I’ve never thought that Kliff is an offensive genius and neither has he.

I do think that Kliff’s preference for shotgun limits his ability to do rollouts. I attribute the reliance on shotgun 70% Kliff and 30% Kyler. But when you have a fourth-year, quarter-billion-dollar QB you shouldn’t have to cut the field in half with a rollout when guys are getting open pretty consistently in play design.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This is another no-win scenario for Kyler. If Colt comes out and plays well, another slap in his face. If Colt doesn't, it is because Colt is the backup, there were a ton of injuries and Kyler let a hamstring keep him out. Fair or not, this is reality.
If Colt balls out tonight and next week, he should start the remainder of the season. Kyler hasn’t earned the right to keep QB1 indefinitely

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
What’s the hyperbole? I’ve never thought that Kliff is an offensive genius and neither has he.

I do think that Kliff’s preference for shotgun limits his ability to do rollouts. I attribute the reliance on shotgun 70% Kliff and 30% Kyler. But when you have a fourth-year, quarter-billion-dollar QB you shouldn’t have to cut the field in half with a rollout when guys are getting open pretty consistently in play design.
Quarter billion gets you half of the playbook.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d be on board with playing the hot hand in Colt until the wheels fall off, but fans saying an athlete has or hasn’t “earned” something is hilarious.

Like, who the hell are you supposed to be? lol.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d be on board with playing the hot hand in Colt until the wheels fall off, but fans saying an athlete has or hasn’t “earned” something is hilarious.

When KM is healthy he plays. No doubt in my mind.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love how the pregame talk is about how much you can tell Colt loves the game of football and that you just don't get the same feeling from Kyler. Plenty of talk about how much work Kyler still needs to put in just to be a competent QB. SMH.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kyler had all offseason to prepare for life without Deandre Hopkins. As others have said there is no shame in losing to the Seahawks (2nd game) and Vikings. However, he had all off season to just figure out how to be "good" without Hopkins. Instead, he regressed. Its on him. Plays better, wins a couple more winnable game and the Colt talk would be a joke. He opened up that door.

The interesting thing is that Kirk Cousins season isnt that much better than Kyler this year. Yet they are one of the top teams in the NFC.

Which really tells you about the Vikings putting together a really talented roster. However, its confirming that maybe Kirk Cousins really is the ceiling for Kyler (obviously different players, but still).

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
CM did his QB2 job tonight. Kept us in the game for a half, but the defense was having none of it. The 49ers could have scored 50 tonight if they had needed to.

We're just a terrible football team right now.
Poorly coached on BOTH sides of the ball

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest factor has been the QB regressing. There are other factors, but when your $250 million quarterback regresses as bad as Kyler has, that's problem #1 right out the gate.

Look at yesterday's Bengals/Steelers game. Against a tough defense and under constant pressure, with a sucky OL, without his top receiver or RB for most of the game, and with several practice squad players on offense, JB was nails. All the other factors were against him, but he elevated the team.

If we got that from KM this season, we easily win the division. That's a lot to ask, though. If we get that even intermittently from KM, we're in the playoffs this season. Instead we've gotten the opposite.

As bad as KK has been at times, as many injuries as we've had, he's undoubtedly the story of the season.

Point mostly agreed with but bad example. only 4 teams in the NFL average more yards allowed on defense than Pittsburgh, they allow 272 yards passing per game, worst in the NFL. Only 7 teams in the NFL allow more points per game than Pittsburgh does. They aren't the defensive team we're used to with the Steelers

But Burrow had a great game that's for sure.