Kyler Murray Contract Extended

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is all so very dumb.

Why set the bar so incredibly low at 4 hours/week? If the org legitimately thinks he won't put in 4 hours a week outside of the facility, they shouldn't have given him a quarter of a billion dollars and made him the face of the franchise. If they believe it's an easy goal to achieve, there was really no reason to include the clause and bring on the predictable scrutiny/humiluation. And Kyler and his agent are oblivious if they didn't think agreeing to the clause would blow up in their faces.

Nobody wins here aside from the media who will use this against Kyler for the rest of his career when convenient.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have our franchise QB locked up through 2028. I remember the days when we didn't want to pay Jake Pummer $5.7 million a year and had to suffer through Jeff Blake at $2.5 million a year. I'm ecstatic Kyler is locked up.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

From Ed Burmila:
"This is probably a common question, but given that the Kyler Murray extension freed up cap space for this season, can you speak to how that might be spent? Also curious to hear a knowledgeable take on how the structure of the contract might facilitate freeing up cap space down the road?"
It's funny, but Murray's cap number actually went up by about $1 million; still, at $12.7M, it's very low for a Pro Bowl QB, and it will be low again in 2023 ($16M). I still expect a veteran cornerback to be signed. How that could be spent, they could potentially look into an extension for another player but let's also understand they are around $10-11 million in cap space; that's not a lot. Down the road, there are a ton of variables. Could they move money around to lower the cap numbers? Sure. But you are pushing cap hits down the road -- and I am also guessing that one way or another, Murray won't see the end of this deal. It'll probably get re-done in some fashion, depending on his play.

Is that the same Ed Burmila that used to post here???

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Hi Darren. Now that the Rodney Hudson has declared he'll be returning for training camp, would you share with fans why you ventured a 'soft guess' that Hudson probably wouldn't return for the season after he incurred two unexcused absences from mandatory minicamp? And have you any idea why Kliff Kingsbury chose to close mandatory minicamp a full day early? Kliff must be more than satisfied with the rookies, young players, and new free agents to cut a scheduled three-day camp to only two days. One would think that there's still plenty to practice, concepts and techniques the coaches could teach, and generally furthering the overall team chemistry."
The number of times the mandatory minicamp, once it moved to after OTAs from before them (yes, minicamp used to be the first thing of Phase 3), has made it to three days and not been cut to two is small if not zero. All the coaches seem to prefer to cut it short. Kliff is no different. One day is not going to change the complexion of the season. As for Hudson, it was a guess. At that point, his status was very much an unknown, and obviously I guessed wrong. But it seemed plausible at the time, Steve Keim has kind of underscored that.

So we're so cocky that we don't need as much practice as possible?

One more day gives you that much more to work on to keep up with the other teams that are doing everything they can to get as much work in as possible

They are stretching every moment they can to get ahead, why not us?

Don't they remember collapsing last year?

I think cutting it short is not good and I'm not going along with the team line

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
"Hi Darren. Now that the Rodney Hudson has declared he'll be returning for training camp, would you share with fans why you ventured a 'soft guess' that Hudson probably wouldn't return for the season after he incurred two unexcused absences from mandatory minicamp? And have you any idea why Kliff Kingsbury chose to close mandatory minicamp a full day early? Kliff must be more than satisfied with the rookies, young players, and new free agents to cut a scheduled three-day camp to only two days. One would think that there's still plenty to practice, concepts and techniques the coaches could teach, and generally furthering the overall team chemistry."
The number of times the mandatory minicamp, once it moved to after OTAs from before them (yes, minicamp used to be the first thing of Phase 3), has made it to three days and not been cut to two is small if not zero. All the coaches seem to prefer to cut it short. Kliff is no different. One day is not going to change the complexion of the season. As for Hudson, it was a guess. At that point, his status was very much an unknown, and obviously I guessed wrong. But it seemed plausible at the time, Steve Keim has kind of underscored that.

One more day gives you that much more to work on to keep up with the other teams that are doing everything they can to get as much work in as possible

I don't worry about this at all. Arians and Whisenhunt broke these OTAs early all the time.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Mini camps are massively pointless except for rookies. Wish they would just do away with them and extend camp.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you don't believe that the leader of the team needs to be there to set an example and put in the work?

No, just that mini camps, especially for vets with and the same coaching staff and largely a waste of time.

Imagine your on sabbatical in Europe for 6 months and your boss calls you after 4 and asks you to fly back to do some petty crap for a couple of days then fly all the way back to Europe. I imagine that's how it feels for players, many of whom live somewhere else in the off season, to have to drag their ass back to Glendale for a few days of workouts, some media interviews full of platitudes and basic scheme stuff they already know.

It would be better for everyone if they just got rid of them and made camp longer.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Can I just point out that it’s not like Kyler hasn’t been doing film study. They just don’t think he has been doing enough of it on his own time and this is them incentivizing him to do just that. Obviously there is a decent amount of film study being done with the team at the facility.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
No, just that mini camps, especially for vets with and the same coaching staff and largely a waste of time.

Imagine your on sabbatical in Europe for 6 months and your boss calls you after 4 and asks you to fly back to do some petty crap for a couple of days then fly all the way back to Europe. I imagine that's how it feels for players, many of whom live somewhere else in the off season, to have to drag their ass back to Glendale for a few days of workouts, some media interviews full of platitudes and basic scheme stuff they already know.

It would be better for everyone if they just got rid of them and made camp longer.

It's nothing like this example. The offseason schedule is essentially set for these guys when they leave the facility at the end of the season. They know more or less when they're going to have to be back. It's not a surprise.

Saying it's inappropriate and stupid that these guys only have six straight months off instead of seven is a wild take to get fired up about. It's SUCH an inconvenience for Rodney Hudson to make the 30 minute flight (if he's flying commercial which he's probably not) from LA or Vegas to -- you know -- do a part of his job.

Longer camp isn't the solution, either. Sports science has made it super-clear that you need to ramp up to full work. Mandatory minicamps are a chance for the team to help their guys get or stay on track so their bodies are ready come training camp.

Can I just point out that it’s not like Kyler hasn’t been doing film study. They just don’t think he has been doing enough of it on his own time and this is them incentivizing him to do just that. Obviously there is a decent amount of film study being done with the team at the facility.

The "this is actually no big deal even though the national media without exception is saying this is totally unique and embarrassing" take remains hilarious. That Michael Bidwill thought that Kyler wasn't doing enough offsite work in the playbook and so slipped an embarrassingly short addendum into his contract is sad. That all Kyler's teammates had to answer questions about it while he hides behind his mom's apron is even sadder.

Do you honestly think any quarterback of quality has to be held to a four hour per week standard of study?