Kyler Murray Contract Extended

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they tried and failed before why would be possibly think this completely unenforceable, impossible to monitor, very minimal hours of study contract clause would work?
The fact that you call it unenforceable is truly laughable.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
“It’s 100% true that’s going to be in there,” Arizona Sports’ John Gambadoro said on Burns & Gambo Monday. “From what I’ve heard, this was something that (owner Michael Bidwill) wanted in the contract — the owner wanted to make sure that Kyler was putting the extra time in.

From Kyler’s perspective, this is not a problem. He puts way more time in than that anyway. So they were like, ‘OK, if you want that in there.’ But it is unusual to see that.

“I am hearing from the Kyler side, they’re fine with it. Whatever it is, it is. But they’re OK with it.”

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“It’s 100% true that’s going to be in there,” Arizona Sports’ John Gambadoro said on Burns & Gambo Monday. “From what I’ve heard, this was something that (owner Michael Bidwill) wanted in the contract — the owner wanted to make sure that Kyler was putting the extra time in.

From Kyler’s perspective, this is not a problem. He puts way more time in than that anyway. So they were like, ‘OK, if you want that in there.’ But it is unusual to see that.

“I am hearing from the Kyler side, they’re fine with it. Whatever it is, it is. But they’re OK with it.”
Does the Kyler side mean his mommy and daddy?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If they tried and failed before why would be possibly think this completely unenforceable, impossible to monitor, very minimal hours of study contract clause would work?

You have to keep trying. Otherwise you're in the "Maybe Sam Darnold?" market.

I actually don't believe it's impossible to monitor if you want to. I'm sure that when the Cards went to remote work they installed all the same spyware that other parsimonious, pennywise, pound foolish organizations did.

Obviously they probably would prefer not to have to monitor or enforce this clause, but the fact that it exists at all should send a pretty clear message to the folks who believe that Kyler can do no wrong and it's 100% on Kliff.

You have to do your homework to be great in this league. The work doesn't end when the meetings do. You have to love the film room as much as you love the weight room. We just guaranteed $106MM to a guy who hasn't figured that out yet.

Also, his bosses had to fly out and talk to his parents about expectations. So there's that.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I actually don't believe it's impossible to monitor if you want to. I'm sure that when the Cards went to remote work they installed all the same spyware that other parsimonious, pennywise, pound foolish organizations did.

Obviously they probably would prefer not to have to monitor or enforce this clause, but the fact that it exists at all should send a pretty clear message to the folks who believe that Kyler can do no wrong and it's 100% on Kliff.

You have to do your homework to be great in this league. The work doesn't end when the meetings do. You have to love the film room as much as you love the weight room. We just guaranteed $106MM to a guy who hasn't figured that out yet.

Also, his bosses had to fly out and talk to his parents about expectations. So there's that.
Post of the thread K9 bravo

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Concerning contingencies in Kyler's contract:

1) Baseball clause

2) Film study

3) Heavy bonuses for workouts

I get some of this might be concessions to get the deal done in a timely fashion, but I cant see how this conveys to Kyler and the public that they have the utmost confidence in his desire to improve as a QB, which he has a lot of room to grow.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Concerning contingencies in Kyler's contract:

1) Baseball clause

2) Film study

3) Heavy bonuses for workouts

I get some of this might be concessions to get the deal done in a timely fashion, but I cant see how this conveys to Kyler and the public that they have the utmost confidence in his desire to improve as a QB, which he has a lot of room to grow.
K9 and TJ killing it today

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "Independent Study Clause" was added by Michael Bidwill. I think it was a response to the Manifesto that Erik Burkhardt sent out which had this statement in Italics in it:

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY REPRESENTS A REAL COMMITMENT FROM THE ORGANIZATION TO SEE IF THEIR ULTIMATE GOALS ALIGN WITH WITH HIS 2 ABOVE...

That was clearly a shot at the organization from Burkhardt suggesting that Michael Bidwill was not committed to winning like Kyler Murray is. So Michael shot back at Burkhardt with the "Independent Study Clause".

You must be registered for see images attach

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "Independent Study Clause" was added by Michael Bidwill. I think it was a response to the Manifesto that Erik Burkhardt sent out which had this statement in Italics in it:

That was clearly a shot at the organization from Burkhardt suggesting that Michael Bidwill was not committed to winning like Kyler Murray is. So Michael shot back at Burkhardt with the "Independent Study Clause".

You guys will try and find anything to deflect from Kylers now proven study habits. Lol

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys will try and find anything to deflect from Kylers now proven study habits. Lol
Oh no. I totally agree with the clause for what it is. I'm all for ensuring that Murray actually puts in the time preparing for games. I do believe that is the one thing holding Kyler back from truly being great.

In fact I'm thinking about making my son sign a clause like it except for the college tuition that I'm going to help him with. He needs to put in time or he doesn't get a dime for me.

I just think that this was also a shot back at Burkhardt and the antics he pulled this offseason. Everyone knew that the contract becomes public knowledge once submitted.

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least we gave him the money. The Bangles are already being cheap with Burrows.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fact that you call it unenforceable is truly laughable.

It is unenforceable. They already paid him $265m for NOT studying. What they going to do if he doesn't do his 4 hours? Sit him on the naughty step?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It would be good to hear why this was put into his contract from someone in the Cards organization. Bidwill, Keim or KK.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I completely agree. It's bad from a Kyler perspective.

I just don't see what the clause achieves except to make the Cards and Kyler look bad.

Jason McCourty said today the spyware teams put on is easy to defeat. He said you can just press play, put on a movie or COD and every now and again just tap rewind and pause to make it look like your actively using it.

I completely agree this is an issue the team should be fixing, this just seems like the dumbest, most public way to do it.

The only reason I can think for the Cards to do this is that they wanted it to come out to shame Kyler into studying more.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is unenforceable. They already paid him $265m for NOT studying. What they going to do if he doesn't do his 4 hours? Sit him on the naughty step?
Pretty simple. Beech if contract fine. It’s hot rocket science. But being it’s only 4 hours a week really shouldn’t be an issue one would hope.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
It would be good to hear why this was put into his contract from someone in the Cards organization. Bidwill, Keim or KK.
They'd just give ya "coach-speak" and never get the actual reason lol

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Going into Walter land here with the conjecture.

But if you marry the two biggest off field concerns together is there a scenario where Rodney Hudson was considering not coming back because he felt Kyler wasn't doing the work? And that he announced last week that he would return once he was told that this clause had been inserted in his new deal?

It always felt weird that Hudson took so long to make a decision and then the decision came just as Kyler's deal was concluding.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

The only reason that they would need to enforce it is if things go really really bad. If the Cards are at that point it will be the least of their problems.

Again I think this was more of a beef Michael had with how Burkhardt handled things.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going into Walter land here with the conjecture.

But if you marry the two biggest off field concerns together is there a scenario where Rodney Hudson was considering not coming back because he felt Kyler wasn't doing the work? And that he announced last week that he would return once he was told that this clause had been inserted in his new deal?

It always felt weird that Hudson took so long to make a decision and then the decision came just as Kyler's deal was concluding.
He needs 4 extra hours a week practice snapping in shotgun.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I don’t look at it as deflecting, rather both sides just getting defensive and petty. Basically, MB was pissed that Burk questioned his willingness to win, in a public forum, so MB shot back with the film study clause…and MB almost assuredly knew it would be found out, since NFL contracts are public knowledge.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ironic that his agent spewed a lot of words and also included this quote. ;)

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler is not going to play baseball. That ship has sailed & will continue to sail as he gets older.
Can that discussion please die?

Yeah the only late blooming rookie I can think of is Max Muncy on the Dodgers. Right now if you can play you are up by 25

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard