Kyler Murray Contract Extended

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That he’s not an enforcer and also doesn’t have an enforcer on his staff. Not all coaches are capable of enforcing discipline, but they usually recognize that and put others in place to handle it.
I think it says more than that. I think it also means he’s not a motivator. And he’s poor at imparting the importance of certain aspects of being a pro.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The "Independent Study Clause" was added by Michael Bidwill. I think it was a response to the Manifesto that Erik Burkhardt sent out which had this statement in Italics in it:

That was clearly a shot at the organization from Burkhardt suggesting that Michael Bidwill was not committed to winning like Kyler Murray is. So Michael shot back at Burkhardt with the "Independent Study Clause".

You must be registered for see images attach
Other then Gambo do we have anything else saying it was Bidwill's idea? Question for the group, not just MadCard

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The four hours of weekly study clause being in the contract is interesting.

Since it's almost unenforceable I've come to wonder if it's something Kyler wanted in the contract for motivation.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the hilarious back-breaking spinning that I love coming here for. OMG.

I've known people who want more oversight so laugh all you want.

Everyone is different.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea

Since it's almost unenforceable I've come to wonder if it's something Kyler wanted in the contract for motivation.
yea Kyler requested it mmmhmm sure… wow….. people will do anything in here not to tarnish that kid even when it’s clearly deserved.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Reports are that clause came from Mikey

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
FTR - Marcus Mariotta had a "no surfing" clause in his initial contract because he was not committed to giving up surfing. This is nothing new and teams are cognizent of player's reluctance to be fully committed.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

The comments tho... :dead:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Based on everything that has been reported and has occurred in the last six months and putting it all together, indications are this is not going to end well.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• 52EABC92-3AD1-4D52-A64A-1EBD2869F45F.jpeg
    52EABC92-3AD1-4D52-A64A-1EBD2869F45F.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 12

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It wasn’t. Evidently, its on the NFL portal and if you register it can be downloaded. The guys on the radio were talking about it. It wasn’t leaked.
True. Contract language is public. What happens is that agents or the team will tip reporters that there is unique verbiage in the contract. Can’t say that this occurred here but if it did it benefits the Cardinals more than Kyler.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea

yea Kyler requested it mmmhmm sure… wow….. people will do anything in here not to tarnish that kid even when it’s clearly deserved.
Reports are that clause came from Mikey

This is about a contract... period.

Walk in backwards in your mind. Why would you want an unenforceable clause in a contract. The player and agent would have to willingly agree to it. They had to know how it looked. If the clause were left out, it shouldn't have been a deal breaker. I've know people who want the extra motivation.

I'm only saying this is a possibility.

Yes, I heard it came from Mike Bidwill.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is about a contract... period.

Walk in backwards in your mind. Why would you want an unenforceable clause in a contract. The player and agent would have to willingly agree to it. They had to know how it looked. If the clause were left out, it shouldn't have been a deal breaker. I've know people who want the extra motivation.

I'm only saying this is a possibility.

Yes, I heard it came from Mike Bidwill.
It isn’t unenforceable and anyone saying such is just plain wrong.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FTR - Marcus Mariotta had a "no surfing" clause in his initial contract because he was not committed to giving up surfing. This is nothing new and teams are cognizent of player's reluctance to be fully committed.

So this served as extra motivation or a deterrent.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Going into Walter land here with the conjecture.

But if you marry the two biggest off field concerns together is there a scenario where Rodney Hudson was considering not coming back because he felt Kyler wasn't doing the work? And that he announced last week that he would return once he was told that this clause had been inserted in his new deal?

It always felt weird that Hudson took so long to make a decision and then the decision came just as Kyler's deal was concluding.
For someone that argued against the conjecture of potential retirement (a reasonable thought) this is like bat#%€£ crazy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It isn’t unenforceable and anyone saying such is just plain wrong.

It would be very hard to enforce unless a player blatantly disregarded his duties.

If that's the case, the Cardinals front office shouldn't have given him the extension.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Oh no. I totally agree with the clause for what it is. I'm all for ensuring that Murray actually puts in the time preparing for games. I do believe that is the one thing holding Kyler back from truly being great.

In fact I'm thinking about making my son sign a clause like it except for the college tuition that I'm going to help him with. He needs to put in time or he doesn't get a dime for me.

I just think that this was also a shot back at Burkhardt and the antics he pulled this offseason. Everyone knew that the contract becomes public knowledge once submitted.
I 100% think the Cardinals were put off by the comments by Kyler’s agent. The struggles are a shared outcome.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other then Gambo do we have anything else saying it was Bidwill's idea? Question for the group, not just MadCard

Nothing concrete but that is the overall opinion that it was ownership driven.