Kyler Murray Contract Extended

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I know it's fun to dunk on Kyler these days; but does winning the Big 12 championship game against your rivals (Texas), who are top 10 in the country, to make the CFB Playoffs, not count as a big game these days?

No.

But let me tell you about his accomplishments in high school.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is just getting a bit weird for me now. Ertz came out and defended Kyler and said he knows the playbook better than anybody else on the team. I don't doubt that's true but to me knowing the playbook and watching film is NOT the same thing?

To me watching film is that stuff Kurt Warner did that he'd show tape and say if you look at where the safety is this a such and such coverage so you want to look for the TE in the flat. Now kurt had the advantage of having seen the outcome of the play already so he knew but that's where you want your QB to get to. They walk up to the LOS look at the defense and they know who's going to be open.

Remember the play early last year where Kyler said later on Hudson tipped him off that the Titans were going to cover zero blitz so Kyler changed the play and hit D Hop for a TD? That's the kind of stuff you want your QB to eventually see himself and I don't think you get there from knowing the plays you get there from watching film of the defenses you will face.

So I think it's odd ertz is saying that unless he just thinks Kyler is being needlessly dumped on?
It’s nothing odd about it.

He’s defending his QB/brother/teammate. Just like every other teammate would for any team in any sport.

I, & I bet the teammates, would be disappointed if Ertz came out & threw Kyler under the bus. If you have a problem, you keep that in-house.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s nothing odd about it.

He’s defending his QB/brother/teammate. Just like every other teammate would for any team in any sport.

I, & I bet the teammates, would be disappointed if Ertz came out & threw Kyler under the bus. If you have a problem, you keep that in-house.

Oh I don't want him to throw him under the bus I'm just saying playbook and watching film are not the same thing so his defense really didn't do anything.

I am aware that Ertz and Kyler are quite close, Zach has said so several times and I think that's great a veteran guy like Ertz would not be close to a young guy like Kyler if he thought he was lazy and entitled.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
There is 0 guarantee the light will come on and he will work even harder at his craft. One could even say after being payed like that it could go the other direction.
You're right on both accounts.

That said, Kyler is so young and talented that even if he never got much better, he'll still be around a top 10 QB. As he's shown clear signs of improvement, I'm confident he's worth the risk.

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is just getting a bit weird for me now. Ertz came out and defended Kyler and said he knows the playbook better than anybody else on the team. I don't doubt that's true but to me knowing the playbook and watching film is NOT the same thing?

To me watching film is that stuff Kurt Warner did that he'd show tape and say if you look at where the safety is this a such and such coverage so you want to look for the TE in the flat. Now kurt had the advantage of having seen the outcome of the play already so he knew but that's where you want your QB to get to. They walk up to the LOS look at the defense and they know who's going to be open.

Remember the play early last year where Kyler said later on Hudson tipped him off that the Titans were going to cover zero blitz so Kyler changed the play and hit D Hop for a TD? That's the kind of stuff you want your QB to eventually see himself and I don't think you get there from knowing the plays you get there from watching film of the defenses you will face.

So I think it's odd ertz is saying that unless he just thinks Kyler is being needlessly dumped on?
The reporter specifically asked about Kyler knowing the playbook if you listen to the question. Sometimes it’s hard to hear those guys from the peanut gallery, but caught that loud and clear.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reporter specifically asked about Kyler knowing the playbook if you listen to the question. Sometimes it’s hard to hear those guys from the peanut gallery, but caught that loud and clear.

Thanks I just saw the printed part I didn't see the actual interview.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score

Mike B has an addendum in Ertz’s contract that he has to publicly defend Kyler between 1-3 hours per week.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you mean the voluntary OTAs that they REALLY don't have to go back for? C'mon, man.

No I mean the mandatory mini camp which was mid June. It's now end of July. That was 6 weeks ago. C'mon man.

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe the key component isn't the 4 hours of film study, rather it's the language about nothing being on in the background, gaming, etc. A lot of kids today, mine included, try to focus on several things at one time. My daughter is an honors high school student, who will have Netflix playing on her phone, with YouTube videos playing on her laptop, while she's doing homework. She gets mostly all A's, but if she were to focus more, she'd be in the running for Valedictorian. The Cards are just trying to hone KMs focus.
Remember Puddy and Elaine's relationship agreement in Seinfeld?

"...in exchange Elaine comes to your softball game and doesn't read a book."

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Only positive I can get out of this is that Kyler, at his peak, has played like a top 3 despite not watching film & getting by on -vibes-.

Hopefully, he takes full advantage & realize his true potential & play like it the whole season.
100%. Right now Kyler is on the Vick in Atlanta track. Achieving a franchise high level of success for a drafted QB with minimal concern for refining his skills. That is really good even if it is not likely to result in a Super Bowl.

The studying clause is an insecure owner of a historically bad franchise trying to tell the world why they were hesitant to give Kyler his money early without issuing a rebuttal statement.

For me, Kyler’s career goes two ways. One, he is the competitor he says he is and he takes this scrutiny to heart. He throws himself into refining his game, sees the resulting success, and continues to double down. Two, Kyler keeps doing Kyler, he continues to struggle and get dinged up which wears him out and he retires around 30 to do other things.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
100%. Right now Kyler is on the Vick in Atlanta track. Achieving a franchise high level of success for a drafted QB with minimal concern for refining his skills. That is really good even if it is not likely to result in a Super Bowl.

The studying clause is an insecure owner of a historically bad franchise trying to tell the world why they were hesitant to give Kyler his money early without issuing a rebuttal statement.

For me, Kyler’s career goes two ways. One, he is the competitor he says he is and he takes this scrutiny to heart. He throws himself into refining his game, sees the resulting success, and continues to double down. Two, Kyler keeps doing Kyler, he continues to struggle and get dinged up which wears him out and he retires around 30 to do other things.
I agree . I think this turns out to be feast or phantom.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Just a total clown move by a family that just shouldn't own a team. Crapping all over the guy that you gave a quarter billion dollar contract is so stupid.

Way to poison the well before the celebrating is even over.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Just a total clown move by a family that just shouldn't own a team. Crapping all over the guy that you gave a quarter billion dollar contract is so stupid.

Way to poison the well before the celebrating is even over.
Meh. Kyler did the article where he sounded like he thought he was Neo. He also is heading into year 4 and hasn’t made a significant change in terms of film study on his own in that time. His agent attacked the organization and the owner directly as a negotiation tactic to get a contract early. That resulted in a lot of negative national media chatter about the owner and the organization.

Petty and punching down by Bidwill but not anything more than wanting to defend yourself.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Meh. Kyler did the article where he sounded like he thought he was Neo.
Yeah, that was really dumb...almost Ayton "I stay up all night playing video games" dumb.

He also is heading into year 4 and hasn’t made a significant change in terms of film study on his own in that time.
Strong statement...maybe it's true, but Kyler's definitely pushing back on this characterization.
Petty and punching down by Bidwill but not anything more than wanting to defend yourself.
Defending yourself by attacking others (especially the guy you just signed to a mega deal) seems like more of the same "cutting off your nose to spite your face" that this organization has always done.

I can't imagine any top organization crapping on their highest paid player right after signing him, and it's a further indictment of a team and ownership group that doesn't play like the big boys.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I never said Kyler has had great success in close-out games, so I don't know how that's applicable.

Was just refuting your point that he never won a big game in college. Which, I suppose, we're still on opposite sides of the fence about.

But, as I mentioned in my previous post, dunking on Kyler is all the rage. As seen in your scathing reply to me simply saying he won the BIG 12 Title Game against his rivals.
Winning in college means nothing in the NFL. How many Heisman trophy winning QB's have flamed out in the pros?
Kyler has not stepped up and won any meaningful games as a pro. From the playoff game to primetime games. It seems as if he fizzles in the spotlight. If I'm not mistaken, I think Kyler has only won one primetime game in his three years. If you just look at last years he lost GB (Thurs), lost @ LA (Monday Night), Lost Indy (Christmas Day) and of course lost the Rams Playoff game. Not a very good track record of big game performances (or at least the ones that matter, in the NFL).

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is just more Bidwill incompetence. Even if you have an issue with Murray's studying, don't make that crap public. Makes you and Murray both look dumb.
Agree 100%. I’m routinely criticized for my support of Murray. And questioned why I’m more critical of the organization than I am of Murray. This organization has been incompetent for 98% of the almost 60 years that I’ve been a fan. At least Murray has been great far more than he hasn’t been. It’s being ridiculous that our moron owner would share that in a contract. This is exactly why this organization hasn’t won a championship in close to 80 stinking years.