the "What Ended Season 2022?" thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assume you guys have discussed the rumor that Booker and Jenner broke up prior to game 7?

NBA ought to pass a rule no players can date a Kardashian or Jenner they're wrecking the league.

I missed it. If you happen to find a link please pass it along.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were just filmed together??? I call bull. Besides, if Booker can't compartmentalize this kind of stuff we are screwed with him as our #1.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's in the premium UCLA board on 247 a guy there posted it. He's nailed all sorts of stuff in the past but not 100%.

To be fair same guy who said the Lakers would hire Mark Jackson which didn't happen, although they did interview him. Same guy who said the Boston fight after game 6 which apparently did happen.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's in the premium UCLA board on 247 a guy there posted it. He's nailed all sorts of stuff in the past but not 100%.

To be fair same guy who said the Lakers would hire Mark Jackson which didn't happen, although they did interview him. Same guy who said the Boston fight after game 6 which apparently did happen.
They were photographed together before and after Kourtney's wedding. Sounds like bunk.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were just filmed together??? I call bull. Besides, if Booker can't compartmentalize this kind of stuff we are screwed with him as our #1.

Even if true I don't think it's an excuse. When a player is on the court there is not time to think about anything else.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scary I googled it and apparently a couple of days ago he went with her to I
They were photographed together before and after Kourtney's wedding. Sounds like bunk.

Yeah I'm horrified to admit I just googled it and found out they were together in Italy at a sisters wedding so I'm sure that's the one.

So seems likely not true.

Reaction score
If these concerns are true, it would seem that Williams has lost control of the team.

Last edited:

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
And Shamet has two more seasons guaranteed at about $10 million each.
How did the Suns even think about giving Shamet $10 million per year for 3 years? I know they were hoping Shamet would provide that much needed scoring punch off the bench but he gave us nothing and all he had to do was come in & shoot 3's and mid range jumpers and he couldn't do that. I say sent Shamet packing in a trade.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did the Suns even think about giving Shamet $10 million per year for 3 years? I know they were hoping Shamet would provide that much needed scoring punch off the bench but he gave us nothing and all he had to do was come in & shoot 3's and mid range jumpers and he couldn't do that. I say sent Shamet packing in a trade.

It's an excellent point. The Suns had to think Shamet was on the cusp of being a very good player, maybe even a combo guard.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's an excellent point. The Suns had to think Shamet was on the cusp of being a very good player, maybe even a combo guard.
He showed small signs of this. Unfortunately he showed huge flashing neon signs of being useless. On the plus side, his defensive effort was better than I expected so if they can iron out his offense, he could still earn his money.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He showed small signs of this. Unfortunately he showed huge flashing neon signs of being useless. On the plus side, his defensive effort was better than I expected so if they can iron out his offense, he could still earn his money.

Yeah, one can see flashes of potential in Shamet so I understand what the Suns saw in him. I wish James Jones and Monty saw the same flashes of talent in Jalen Smith. IMO, Monty gets too locked on playing certain players.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, one can see flashes of potential in Shamet so I understand what the Suns saw in him. I wish James Jones and Monty saw the same flashes of talent in Jalen Smith. IMO, Monty gets too locked on playing certain players.
I think Jones did, that's why he drafted him. But Jalen came into the league at a horrible time, had some bad luck with injury and Covid and apparently didn't realize how hard he needed to work. All this coupled with Monty using him at our position of need rather than his position of strength led to the Coach not using him. At that point, it's easy to understand why the front office undervalued him and made the wrong call on his extention.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I think that's always the Suns mindset to get that unknown guy on the cusp of being good player on the cheap before he break out & needs to be paid.Nothing wrong with that if it works.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's always the Suns mindset to get that unknown guy on the cusp of being good player on the cheap before he break out to & needs to be paid.Nothong wrong with that if it works.

I don't mind this philosophy and Shamet may yet do it but how could the Suns give up so easily on Jalen Smith. His option will be about what Torrey Craig will cost next season.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't mind this philosophy and Shamet may yet do it but how could the Suns give up so easily on Jalen Smith. His option will be about what Torrey Craig will cost next season.
I hear you Mainstreet. I would prefer Jalen Smith over Craig. Jalen Smith never got a chance on the court in Phoenix. Maybe he was totally lost in the practice sessions and the coach staff didn't feel him worthy of playing time. Suns need to sharpen their scouting. Smith seems to be doing OK after the trade to Pacers. I still hate to see Ayton go with all that great potential & coulda shoulda but if it can't be tapped it's pointless. It is inevitable Ayton is gone. After I coached high school basketball I became a realtor and compromising and negotiating is part of the process but not so much for Ayton. 5 years for $125 Million would have been a fair compromise but Ayton want nothing less than a Max so no deal. Probably both sides have given up on each other and want a clean break.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear you Mainstreet. I would prefer Jalen Smith over Craig. Jalen Smith never got a chance on the court in Phoenix. Maybe he was totally lost in the practice sessions and the coach staff didn't feel him worthy of playing time. Suns need to sharpen their scouting. Smith seems to be doing OK after the trade to Pacers. I still hate to see Ayton go with all that great potential & coulda shoulda but if it can't be tapped it's pointless. It is inevitable Ayton is gone. After I coached high school basketball I became a realtor and compromising and negotiating is part of the process but not so much for Ayton. 5 years for $125 Million would have been a fair compromise but Ayton want nothing less than a Max so no deal. Probably both sides have given up on each other and want a clean break.

When players like Michael Porter Jr., Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Trae Young and Luka Doncic received max contracts, that set the standard.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's the money, no doubt. The subtext to all this is the Suns wanted Ayton to cover the three point shooters away from the basket AND still defend the paint and rebound too! That's just insanity. The guy can't do both. So Ayton was squawking about his stats being lower, which means he wouldn't get paid, but he was doing what the Suns wanted. It was what he was referring to by saying he was sacrificing his game for the Suns.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
When players like Michael Porter Jr., Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Trae Young and Luka Doncic received max contracts, that set the standard.
I think and this is just me but I think the Suns value Booker as a max, CP3 as a near Max, Bridges at approximately 22 million, and Ayton and Cam Johnson somewhere south of that probably in the $12-$15 million range. And Ayton disagrees and next up we see how Cam Johnson does in his negotiations. Suns don't care what another club paid their players. They (the Suns) operate on what the Suns feel they should pay. And it's really their business to run.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The MPJ. Contract is what set the market. It’s like the Browns giving Watson that monster contract. The other GMs gotta be looking at that and going WTF man

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The MPJ. Contract is what set the market. It’s like the Browns giving Watson that monster contract. The other GMs gotta be looking at that and going WTF man
Yep, and the Cards QB just got overpaid because of that! LOL! I wonder what Justin Herbert will get when it's time? :eek:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think and this is just me but I think the Suns value Booker as a max, CP3 as a near Max, Bridges at approximately 22 million, and Ayton and Cam Johnson somewhere south of that probably in the $12-$15 million range. And Ayton disagrees and next up we see how Cam Johnson does in his negotiations. Suns don't care what another club paid their players. They (the Suns) operate on what the Suns feel they should pay. And it's really their business to run.

The examples you give demonstrate the Suns are willing to pay players when they feel they are worth a large contract. They opened their pockets much wider than I thought. It makes one question whether they had a legitimate reason for not giving Ayton the max or reaching an agreement for something slightly less.

I do think Cam Johnson will be paid less than Mikal Bridges and I wouldn't disagree with that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That contract tipped the scale for sure although not all of that is guaranteed.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
The examples you give demonstrate the Suns are willing to pay players when they feel they are worth a large contract. They opened their pockets much wider than I thought. It makes one question whether they had a legitimate reason for not giving Ayton the max or reaching an agreement for something slightly less.

I do think Cam Johnson will be paid less than Mikal Bridges and I wouldn't disagree with that.
Cam Johnson may disagree tho.
I think this will be interesting to watch.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
You are right.

But they are operating a business within a business.