Off season: Focus on offense

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the question is: What is the Cardinals team identity? Are they an offensive team or defensive team? What part of the team do you believe failed the most?

I would place a large portion of the blame on offensive execution. QB play, blocking, running with the football, and catching the football. I think that infusing more talent on the OL and adding new receiving options can fix some of these issues.

On defense the Cardinals can largely bring back the same group and expect similar results, which were decent by most measurements.
Its taken Keim how many years to figure that out?

He cant help himself. Some athletic defender thats "versatile" he has a high grade on will drop to him and he'll draft him.

If Keim ran the Bengals he probably would have thought long and hard about taking Jaycee Horn.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah. I have zero issues with this approach if Vance is back. Pencil in Hicks and Vallejo. Re-sign Hamilton.

In terms of EDGE, I don't think it really matters. Add a vet or two, cut Kennard and draft one in rounds 2 - 5. Also need to add a DT to replace Peters and draft another for depth.

We will continue to be capped by our scheme so I am fine just getting cheap vets to fill in and then mid round guys to get limited snaps as they "learn" the scheme.
Good point. There's no point giving VJ better pieces if he's too damned stubborn to use them.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

<Stomps feet, closes eyes, puts fingers in ears, and yells> :

No! That's not true! Murray is three feet tall, can't throw over the middle, doesn't watch film, is the devil, and eats babies!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
<Stomps feet, closes eyes, puts fingers in ears, and yells> :

No! That's not true! Murray is three feet tall, can't throw over the middle, doesn't watch film, is the devil, and eats babies!
Murray was outstanding for the first 7 weeks of the season.

Then the Packers game came and he played uneven...got hurt...came back and was pretty underwhelming. A number of games down the stretch if he played 80% as well as he did in the first 7 games, the Cardinals win.

The Colts game, Rams game part deux, and Seahawks game part deux, if Murray plays better, Cardinals win. I don't think this take is a stretch and that would be the difference in a 14-3 season and a 11-6 semi-debacle.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Its taken Keim how many years to figure that out?
Keim has spent few premium picks on OL in his tenure. With Murray's obvious issues, I think it would be smart to consider throwing a pick at a player like Linderbaum. Sure it wouldn't be a sexy pick, but to draft a player to solidify the middle with Hudson could vastly improve the offense.

I actually really like the current depth. Justin Murray was underrated and is an NFL quality player. Max Garcia isn't too bad either.

I think Josh Jones is better on the edge and improved at RT by the end of the season. I'd keep Pugh around; I think he'd stuck around even with a paycut.
He cant help himself. Some athletic defender thats "versatile" he has a high grade on will drop to him and he'll draft him.
Hopefully not another ILB lol.
If Keim ran the Bengals he probably would have thought long and hard about taking Jaycee Horn.
Jamar Chase was such a special fit especially with the connection he had with LSU.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Then the Packers game came and he played uneven...got hurt...came back and was pretty underwhelming. A number of games down the stretch if he played 80% as well as he did in the first 7 games, the Cardinals win.

The Colts game, Rams game part deux, and Seahawks game part deux, if Murray plays better, Cardinals win. I don't think this take is a stretch and that would be the difference in a 14-3 season and a 11-6 semi-debacle.

Of course you're correct Krang (except Murray played great in week thirteen, his first game back from the injury against CHI), but it's just so exhausting reading the "Murray sucks" "We'll never win with Murray" "Murray likes to dress up as Elsa from Frozen" posts, when we know those things are not true.

Something happened to the whole team during the 1-5 stretch. Okay? Offense, defense, special teams, the whole thing stunk after the CHI game. It wasn't just Murray, and that's why I'm looking at Kingsbury. It's his job to make sure the team is ready to play, and they were not ready to play during the last six games of the season. If you want pin it all on K1, great, we'll just agree to disagree.

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Keim has spent few premium picks on OL in his tenure. With Murray's obvious issues, I think it would be smart to consider throwing a pick at a player like Linderbaum. Sure it wouldn't be a sexy pick, but to draft a player to solidify the middle with Hudson could vastly improve the offense.

I actually really like the current depth. Justin Murray was underrated and is an NFL quality player. Max Garcia isn't too bad either.

I think Josh Jones is better on the edge and improved at RT by the end of the season. I'd keep Pugh around; I think he'd stuck around even with a paycut.

Hopefully not another ILB lol.

Jamar Chase was such a special fit especially with the connection he had with LSU.
That didnt matter to Keim when Kyler clearly wanted Lamb. Now they should have drafted Wirfs, but still it was the elite athlete defender Keim chose. Chase was a better prospect, but its the reason Im not 100% sure he would have made that decision.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
No, just freaking no to Josh Jones. Holy moly. You can hide him at G for a game or two, but he's not yet even a back up NFL tackle (sorry Josh, prove me wrong man). At this point, we need to move on from him.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No, just freaking no to Josh Jones. Holy moly. You can hide him at G for a game or two, but he's not yet even a back up NFL tackle (sorry Josh, prove me wrong man). At this point, we need to move on from him.
Young player on a cheap contract who now has playing experience. Remember Bobbie Massie? He was substantially worse than Josh Jones his first year starting.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was. Massie gave up like a dozen sacks his first year. He was awful.
Massie was an average tackle who had few good seasons, the Humphries path is not so far from him
Keim never found a good one ready to contribute from day one, i guess isn't necessary being a former player to see the successful traits on a player

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was. Massie gave up like a dozen sacks his first year. He was awful.

Hump too. Similar story to Jones really. Didn't play first year. 2nd year was asked to play on the right instead of the left. Hump gave up 9 sacks in 13 games.

Jones has plenty to learn but he's far from a bust.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then DC's figured him and the offense out

KM and KK didn't make any adjustments and looked lost

The question is why?

I don't really buy this idea that there's pre figured out Kliff and post figured out Kliff. It's not like the offense is new, it's the same as last year. There's plenty of tape on it.

Did Green Bay, Tampa or the Rams make major mid season adjustments because they were "figured out"? I think not.

I'm not sure what the reason is. It could be several. But Kliff's teams always have a tendency to drop off.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

I agree to an extent.

My main two issues with Kyler are easily fixable.
1) 2nd/3rd and short - he needs to stop throwing those 30, 40, 50 yard sideline routes that are very low percentage. Make it easy on yourself and move the chains K1! Also why I think Ertz is our #1 priority FA on offense.

2) Get rid of the ball faster vs taking sacks. He needs to do a better job of seeing the pressure and finding a hot route or throwing it away.

Outside of Kyler - We HAVE to run the ball more/more effectively. Have to. You can point to the Colts game as a prime example of that plus all the missed FG's.
The Rams, 49ers, Chiefs, Bengals, etc can all run the ball effectively. Pick your poison. Let them run you to death or when you try and stop the run - they have weapons in the passing game to crush you as well. We need that balance.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Young player on a cheap contract who now has playing experience. Remember Bobbie Massie? He was substantially worse than Josh Jones his first year starting.

I mean I definitely could be wrong, and if you and Brit Card think Jones is on the same trajectory as Humphries, great, but it sure doesn't look like that to me. I hope I'm wrong, and that he comes out of TC camp this upcoming year, wins the RT job from Beachum, and capably anchors that position for us for the next ten years. That would be awesome.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This thread title should be figure out Collins and Simmons. I know @DVontel wants an edge player but Vance didn't play Devon Kennard who was a vet who had B2B seasons with like 8 sacks. I have little faith an EDGE we draft is going to get playing time under Vance.
You figure out Simmons by trading him. You figure out Zaven by playing him at WILL.
I have a hard time the EDGE we draft won’t get playing time, especially with the void that Chandler will leave. Even under Vance.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort