Off season: Focus on offense

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Charleston Rambo is crazy fast, has good hands and worked already with Murray
Not as physical as he should be. Honestly sort of disappeared at OU when you thought he'd be the one to take the next step. Not saying he cant be good though.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Neither are irreplaceable, but both are a proven commodity as opposed to a draft pick. Neither are fumblers (chase had zero, Conner had two), both are (apparently in J. Conner's case) excellent receivers.

I mean, disagree if you want, and I apologize for the hyperbole, but they comprise a championship backfield. Replaceable? Sure, but let's not go out of our way to do so.

What Conner gave us last year isn’t replaceable but he’s not doing that again so projecting what he’ll do next year is likely replaceable by someone else. There are explosive backs every draft and cheaper pounders on the market. I think Eno will be the Chase of last season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Conner gave us last year isn’t replaceable but he’s not doing that again so projecting what he’ll do next year is likely replaceable by someone else. There are explosive backs every draft and cheaper pounders on the market. I think Eno will be the Chase of last season.
Bingo.

I am BEYOND curious to see what the hell Keim does in a FA period with starters everywhere becoming FAs, NONE of them being slam dunks money or production-wise, while ALSO having almost zero cap room (how is this possible... I mean... I know, but seriously... how is that possible?).

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
nidan! Oh my gosh, so great to hear from you!

On Alford, I agree with you to a point, but we got like, what, 10 good games from him this past year? And he could be resigned for super cheap probably? It's not optimal, but I'm betting we could get 10 more good games in 2022 for not much money.

But How have you been man? Sorry that we haven't kept up too much. I hope things are as well as possible in your neck of the woods.
So you want to replicate our secondary at the end of the season by signing the player who can't stay healthy? No thanks.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bingo.

I am BEYOND curious to see what the hell Keim does in a FA period with starters everywhere becoming FAs, NONE of them being slam dunks money or production-wise, while ALSO having almost zero cap room (how is this possible... I mean... I know, but seriously... how is that possible?).
He has his work cut out for him

Sure wish it was another GM this off-season

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nidan! Oh my gosh, so great to hear from you!

On Alford, I agree with you to a point, but we got like, what, 10 good games from him this past year? And he could be resigned for super cheap probably? It's not optimal, but I'm betting we could get 10 more good games in 2022 for not much money.

But How have you been man? Sorry that we haven't kept up too much. I hope things are as well as possible in your neck of the woods.
I back on the UK planning to get a 45' sailboat

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
And was part of the reason for the late-season slide because he literally wasn't available when we needed him the most. PASS.
The late season slide had a lot more to do with our wunderkind QB playing like dogshit than anything else.

I wouldn't bring Alford back, but it's not exactly a crazy idea either.

I'd use like a 3rd rounder on a corner with good traits and sign a second tier FA.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I can't remember the last late 1st round corner that made any impact on a team's season their rookie year. Not that we are accustomed to rookies making an impact, but... I can think of a lot of late 1st round WRs and 2nd round RBs who were huge contributors right away.

Keim has wasted enough picks on players for Vance do to nothing with.

If you're keeping Kliff, at least give him something to work with. Can't keep going defense in the 1st round.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see what you attempted to do, but this ain’t it at all, lol. Complete swing & a miss.

The idea that we shouldn't bring Alford back because he missed 4 games while being paid $990,000 is frankly silly.

Which is why I used a silly comparison.

Stout

Reaction score
Guess we should trade Nuk too
@DVontel said it and you admitted it. What's silly is expecting a significant contribution from an oft-injured CB. We got mileage out of him this season, yes, but he didn't hold up for crunch time, and was out the past 2 seasons. That money, even a small contract, is best used elsewhere.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
@DVontel said it and you admitted it. What's silly is expecting a significant contribution from an oft-injured CB. We got mileage out of him this season, yes, but he didn't hold up for crunch time, and was out the past 2 seasons. That money, even a small contract, is best used elsewhere.

We shouldn't rely on Alford to be a starter, no, I agree. But what if we brought him back for the vet minimum to be the nickel back? Still no? How about as the dime back? Surely you see the good sense there.

Like it our not, it's probably going to have to be Murphy and Wilson as CB 1 and CB 2. I'm not sure what Hamilton's status is, but he looked okay to be at the very end of the roster. Maybe bring in one relatively cheap FA to be the projected nickel back.

The CB room would then be CB1 = Murphy, CB2 = Wilson, Nickel = FA, Dime = Alford, Depth = Hamilton + maybe a 4th round draft pick, or another vet minimum FA.

Stout, I know it's not ideal man, but we're up against it this year with our roster situation, and there are other parts of the team that need available dollars. It's a gamble to have Alford as part of the path forward, but based what we got from him this past year, I think it's a reasonable risk to take.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

You can't anticipate injuries. He suffered a pec injury which is completely divorced from his previous ills. What I know is that when healthy he provided stable coverage and that has value. What's truly silly is suggesting that you 'KNOW' how things will turn out.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Dude would be depth for $1m. I'd sign him all day.

Even if he remained CB3 I'd still sign him. Anyone is open to injuries. We had good value out of him and the wheels were already off before Alford went out injured.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Even if he remained CB3 I'd still sign him. Anyone is open to injuries. We had good value out of him and the wheels were already off before Alford went out injured.
Alford was decent last year. Definitely was a value player and he is better than probably 60% of the leagues CBs.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This thread title should be figure out Collins and Simmons. I know @DVontel wants an edge player but Vance didn't play Devon Kennard who was a vet who had B2B seasons with like 8 sacks. I have little faith an EDGE we draft is going to get playing time under Vance.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alford was decent last year. Definitely was a value player and he is better than probably 60% of the leagues CBs.

Agreed but he is injured 80% of the time so by my math that puts him the bottom 2% of active CB

Stout

Reaction score
We shouldn't rely on Alford to be a starter, no, I agree. But what if we brought him back for the vet minimum to be the nickel back? Still no? How about as the dime back? Surely you see the good sense there.

Like it our not, it's probably going to have to be Murphy and Wilson as CB 1 and CB 2. I'm not sure what Hamilton's status is, but he looked okay to be at the very end of the roster. Maybe bring in one relatively cheap FA to be the projected nickel back.

The CB room would then be CB1 = Murphy, CB2 = Wilson, Nickel = FA, Dime = Alford, Depth = Hamilton + maybe a 4th round draft pick, or another vet minimum FA.

Stout, I know it's not ideal man, but we're up against it this year with our roster situation, and there are other parts of the team that need available dollars. It's a gamble to have Alford as part of the path forward, but based what we got from him this past year, I think it's a reasonable risk to take.

I hear you about us being up against it next year, Crimson. It's going to be hugely difficult and, IMO, we probably won't spend much on defense (although it needs a lot of help). The problem with making Alford depth is that he would have to be a special teams ace, and as a vet I don't know if he can be that.

See my above. I know you're trying to be practical and I get that we'll have to be, especially on defense, but Alford just can't be relied on. Get someone young and hungry in to take his spot.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I hear you about us being up against it next year, Crimson. It's going to be hugely difficult and, IMO, we probably won't spend much on defense (although it needs a lot of help). The problem with making Alford depth is that he would have to be a special teams ace, and as a vet I don't know if he can be that.

See my above. I know you're trying to be practical and I get that we'll have to be, especially on defense, but Alford just can't be relied on. Get someone young and hungry in to take his spot.
I think the question is: What is the Cardinals team identity? Are they an offensive team or defensive team? What part of the team do you believe failed the most?

I would place a large portion of the blame on offensive execution. QB play, blocking, running with the football, and catching the football. I think that infusing more talent on the OL and adding new receiving options can fix some of these issues.

On defense the Cardinals can largely bring back the same group and expect similar results, which were decent by most measurements.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think the question is: What is the Cardinals team identity? Are they an offensive team or defensive team? What part of the team do you believe failed the most?

I would place a large portion of the blame on offensive execution. QB play, blocking, running with the football, and catching the football. I think that infusing more talent on the OL and adding new receiving options can fix some of these issues.

On defense the Cardinals can largely bring back the same group and expect similar results, which were decent by most measurements.
Yeah. I have zero issues with this approach if Vance is back. Pencil in Hicks and Vallejo. Re-sign Hamilton.

In terms of EDGE, I don't think it really matters. Add a vet or two, cut Kennard and draft one in rounds 2 - 5. Also need to add a DT to replace Peters and draft another for depth.

We will continue to be capped by our scheme so I am fine just getting cheap vets to fill in and then mid round guys to get limited snaps as they "learn" the scheme.