OT: Las Vegas Raiders WR Henry Ruggs to be charged with DUI resulting in death

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A person often incriminates themselves because they think they have to talk to police when they don't other than give insurance, license and registration information for a vehicle.

I'm sure a huge number of cases are made long before Miranda Warnings are given. Police can even lie if they want.
If someone incriminates themself that’s a problem how? If they did so voluntarily and weren’t coerced or wasn’t beaten out of them? What’s your issue with it? Someone admitting guilt doesn’t seem like a bad thing to me?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t know why someone would say something to incriminate themselves if they’re not guilty and no interrogation has commenced . . .

If you are a suspect in a crime it's best to get a criminal lawyer. Police are talking to you for a reason. Even an innocent statement can be used against you.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If someone incriminates themself that’s a problem how? If they did so voluntarily and weren’t coerced or wasn’t beaten out of them? What’s your issue with it? Someone admitting guilt doesn’t seem like a bad thing to me?

I have a problem with how the confession is obtained.

IMO, when police are investigating someone for a felony, that person should be given their Miranda Warnings upfront.

Don't you think the average citizen should know what you know concerning their rights?

Most people talk to police because they think they have too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you talking about? The black box is part of your vehicles airbag system. That’s his point.

That's an issue. Without consent, maybe the only data that should be collected is to deploy the airbags.

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is an example of losing individual freedoms.
All cars sold after 2014 must have one. It’s a NHTSA requirement.
Is not a new thing, GM started using them in 1994, they wanted data on how the car behaved before a crash.

Car companies collect all sort of data from your car, gps, speed, driving habits.

This is from GM “onstar” but everyone does it.

· Information about your vehicle, like the vehicle’s identification number (“VIN”), its make, model and year;

· Information about your vehicle’s condition, like diagnostic data, odometer readings, oil life remaining, tire pressure, fuel economy;

· Information about whenyour vehicleis refueled or recharged;

· Information that might indicate that your vehicle has been broken into or stolen, like glass breakage or ignition switch activity if your vehicle is equipped to detect those things;

· Information about apps that are pre-installed on the OnStar equipment, including the version of those apps;

· Information about the OnStar equipment, including the version of the OnStar software installed on that equipment;

· Information aboutwhen your vehicle’s ignition is on or off; and

· Information about collisions involving your vehicle, like the direction from which impact happened and which air bags deployed.

“Driving Information” includes:

· Information like the location of your vehicle, the GPS speed of your vehicle, your safety belt usage, and other similar information about how the vehicle is used.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is not a new thing, GM started using them in 1994, they wanted data on how the car behaved before a crash.

Car companies collect all sort of data from your car, gps, speed, driving habits.

· Information about your vehicle, like the vehicle’s identification number (“VIN”), its make, model and year;

· Information about your vehicle’s condition, like diagnostic data, odometer readings, oil life remaining, tire pressure, fuel economy;

· Information that might indicate that your vehicle has been broken into or stolen, like glass breakage or ignition switch activity if your vehicle is equipped to detect those things;

· Information about apps that are pre-installed on the OnStar equipment, including the version of those apps;

· Information about the OnStar equipment, including the version of the OnStar software installed on that equipment;

· Information about collisions involving your vehicle, like the direction from which impact happened and which air bags deployed.

· Information like the location of your vehicle, the GPS speed of your vehicle, your safety belt usage, and other similar information about how the vehicle is used.

Our whole life is in a computer somewhere and it's used somehow, someway to profit or save money.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with how the confession is obtained.

IMO, when police are investigating someone for a felony, that person should be given their Miranda Warnings upfront.

Don't you think the average citizen should know what you know concerning their rights?

Most people talk to police because they think they have too.
In today’s day and age most average citizens I would say do know their rights.... Now obviously there are exceptions. Most people I dealt with over a career knew exactly what their rights were and to shut up. The Supreme Court laid out reasonable guidelines imo.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In today’s day and age most average citizens I would say do know their rights.... Now obviously there are exceptions. Most people I dealt with over a career knew exactly what their rights were and to shut up. The Supreme Court laid out reasonable guidelines imo.

I agree the Miranda Warnings are more than fair. However, I believe police are more sophisticated these days in gathering information before the rights are given.

Now it seems like police have most of the information they need before they are administered.

Watch some of some real life police programs (including game & fish) and tell me what you think. I don't see a lot of savvy citizens out there.

Last edited:

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Our whole life is in a computer somewhere and it's used somehow, someway to profit or save money.
It’s called your “buyer profile.” I actually may have knowledge of a private company that is writing software to track persons based on their buyer profile/unique device serial numbers associated with said buyer profile. From there, people with the software will be able to track your physical movements through through the different IP addresses your device(s) came within range of. It’s not live tracking, but the “bread crumbs” are all captured by the software. 100% legal and doesn’t require a warrant/other court action.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s called your “buyer profile.” I actually may have knowledge of a private company that is writing software to track persons based on their buyer profile/unique device serial numbers associated with said buyer profile. From there, people with the software will be able to track your physical movements through through the different IP addresses your device(s) came within range of. It’s not live tracking, but the “bread crumbs” are all captured by the software. 100% legal and doesn’t require a warrant/other court action.

I just bought a new computer and I felt I had to give away my personal life in order to access it.

Those artificial intelligence movies are not far off base.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You have to have insurance under the law so it's a catch 22.

A person may have to give up their right to self incrimination by a "black box" if you have to drive to make a living.
Well, I don't think Native Americans have to have insurance, as long as they stay on the reservation? :whip:

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

And that's just the tip of the iceberg for OnStar. Since he was driving a Corvette it most likely had it in it. After working as a dev for GM for a bit I'll never had a car with OnStar in it. It's a bit scary what it knows and has access to in your car. Security on it wasn't as high as I'd like to have seen either. Pretty much if I knew your VIN I had full access to your system. If I was ever to buy a GM, I do like the C8s, I would insist on a build without it and if I had no choice on it the first thing I'd do is fry the cell modem.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
And that's just the tip of the iceberg for OnStar. Since he was driving a Corvette it most likely had it in it. After working as a dev for GM for a bit I'll never had a car with OnStar in it. It's a bit scary what it knows and has access to in your car. Security on it wasn't as high as I'd like to have seen either. Pretty much if I knew your VIN I had full access to your system. If I was ever to buy a GM, I do like the C8s, I would insist on a build without it and if I had no choice on it the first thing I'd do is fry the cell modem.
Sending you a PM, haha.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You don't get that choice

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hyundai Blue Link found my wife's car when it got stolen.
Something I did not know, Blue Link will let you know they located your vehicle but they won't tell you where it is. They give the police that info. They don't want you trying to go get it yourself and somebody ends up dead.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hyundai Blue Link found my wife's car when it got stolen.
Something I did not know, Blue Link will let you know they located your vehicle but they won't tell you where it is. They give the police that info. They don't want you trying to go get it yourself and somebody ends up dead.
What does Hyundai charge for the service

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does Hyundai charge for the service

I think it's like $300 a year.. not sure if that includes the navigation system. Don't need navigation anymore with Google maps on the cell phone. We got some kind of small discount on car insurance because we have it.

btw, it's a 2012 and it only has 30K miles on it. It's just driven by a little old lady to the country club and back..lol

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's like $300 a year.. not sure if that includes the navigation system. Don't need navigation anymore with Google maps on the cell phone. We got some kind of small discount on car insurance because we have it.

btw, it's a 2012 and it only has 30K miles on it. It's just driven by a little old lady to the country club and back..lol
I gotcha.... that’s awesome only 30k

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You have to have insurance under the law so it's a catch 22.

A person may have to give up their right to self incrimination by a "black box" if you have to drive to make a living.
That’s not how legal rights work. For instance, you don’t have a right to even drive.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Regarding black boxes in cars and your rights. I found this very helpful article with state by state requirements. In Nevada, it's disclosed at the time of sale/lease, that the black box is installed.

Interesting. So 13 states have created some limited statutes. Disclosure seems appropriate, but otherwise I think that’s bad policy. If I were the manufacturer I’d want that data to protect me from frivolous product manufacturer lawsuits and if I were an insurance company I’d want that to limit liability coverage.

Without having read each statute, I’ll bet you can contract around the language and I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case in car contracts and insurance policies moving forward.