OT: Las Vegas Raiders WR Henry Ruggs to be charged with DUI resulting in death

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s not how legal rights work. For instance, you don’t have a right to even drive.

There’s no legal reason to require permission. You’re seeking rights where none exist.

You do have a right against self incrimination.

If the police want to search your personal computer or phone they have to get a warrant. I'm sure the "Black Box" is a computer of sorts in your vehicle.

The point I'm making, people are gradually giving up their rights without even thinking twice about it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree the Miranda Warnings are more than fair. However, I believe police are more sophisticated these days in gathering information before the rights are given.

Now it seems like police have most of the information they need before they are administered

Watch some of some real life police programs (including game & fish) and tell me what you think. I don't see a lot of savvy citizens out there.
The bolded is a gross ivergeberalization based on your tv viewing habits.

But yes, we have a society of generally low IQ citizens.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You do have a right against self incrimination.

If the police want to search your personal computer or phone they have to get a warrant. I'm sure the "Black Box" is a computer of sorts in your vehicle.

The point I'm making, people are gradually giving up their rights without even thinking twice about it.
That’s what humans do for safety and comfort and ease. The more we want to make our lives easy the more we are willing to give up privacies. It’s part of the evolution of society. The more we want life easy and cushy the more we are willing to give up to attain same. Same with safety. You have to be willing to give up some privacies in order for the NSA to identify bad actors before an event.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's much more than that I assure you. In regard to the reality televsion (I'm not sure of the correct name for it), I've seen real law enforcement officers talking about about charging someone with a felony without giving them their Miranda Warnings all the while telling them it's better to cooerate with police and it will go better for them.

Only the prosecuting attorney can offer a plea deal not police.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s what humans do for safety and comfort and ease. The more we want to make our lives easy the more we are willing to give up privacies. It’s part of the evolution of society. The more we want life easy and cushy the more we are willing to give up to attain same. Same with safety. You have to be willing to give up some privacies in order for the NSA to identify bad actors before an event.

Pretty soon there will be little privacy to give up. The movie "1984" is not far off base.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Pretty soon there will be little privacy to give up. The movie "1984" is not far off base.
You know you can choose off the grid if it bothers you so much. Find a remote location with few municipal codes. Don’t use a smart phone or computer. Buy a used car from the 70s or 80s and learn how to keep it up yourself. Don’t use streaming or cable subscription services. Keep away from urban areas. It’s possible to live like it’s the 80s, it’s just not as comfortable, enjoyable or safe.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's much more than that I assure you. In regard to the reality televsion (I'm not sure of the correct name for it), I've seen real law enforcement officers talking about about charging someone with a felony without giving them their Miranda Warnings all the while telling them it's better to cooerate with police and it will go better for them.

Only the prosecuting attorney can offer a plea deal not police.
Find an episode and link if possible. I’d like to view it. What your describing sounds like you might be over generalizing.... What your saying would be a clear violation of rights if being questioned relating to a crime. Being on camera both tv and body I’m assuming would EASILY be dismissed and thrown out if a suspect spoke or offered any relevant info in said circumstance? Thus protecting the guys rights in the end result.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Find an episode and link if possible. I’d like to view it. What your describing sounds like you might be over generalizing.... What your saying would be a clear violation of rights if being questioned relating to a crime. Being on camera both tv and body I’m assuming would EASILY be dismissed and thrown out if a suspect spoke or offered any relevant info in said circumstance? Thus protecting the guys rights in the end result.

I doubt if I can find the exact same program but when I watch something like this again I will try to take note of the program and episode. The suspect was not charged with a felony though in the end. It was something less.

On some of the game and fish programs, the law enforcement officer often asks the subject to go back to where they shot an animal and recreate the scene. Then they charge the person based upon what they find if it's illegal. The person in some of these cases may have committed a felony. I've seldom seen a suspect refuse to cooperate or have their rights explained.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Well, Ouchie, I can't pronounce that word, much less know what it means, but, I probably agree with you.
:p
I think self incrimination has to do with what you say, not necessarily what you do or have.
I doubt a crime being a felony vs a misdemeanor probably has no bearing on your rights. But, I am not an attorney. Rights are required under a custodial arrest, I think, but like I said, I'm not an attorney

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Ouchie, I can't pronounce that word, much less know what it means, but, I probably agree with you.
I think self incrimination has to do with what you say, not necessarily what you do or have.
I doubt a crime being a felony vs a misdemeanor probably has no bearing on your rights. But, I am not an attorney. Rights are required under a custodial arrest, I think, but like I said, I'm not an attorney
They are required whether you are under arrest or not. If being asked about a crime with which the police think you may be a suspect. And yes felony or misdemeanor has no bearing same same...

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That’s the greatest “autocorrect” ever. Wtf?!?

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I don’t know what ivergeberalization is either, but from the sound of it I bet a 90’s Richard Gere rumor is involved.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t know what ivergeberalization is either, but from the sound of it I bet a 90’s Richard Gere rumor is involved.
If ever there was a sign that we need not yet be concerned with Skynet taking over, look no further than “ivergeberalization.”

. . . unless of course that’s how AI is now communicating worldwide - via autocorrect code.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cops Say Raiders’ Henry Ruggs Screamed at Them After Deadly Drunken Crash​

Heartbreaking accounts from the Good Samaritans that tried to save Tina's life.

Also kind of shocking (to me) that the bail was set at $150k when prosecutors wanted $1 million.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If ever there was a sign that we need not yet be concerned with Skynet taking over, look no further than “ivergeberalization.”

. . . unless of course that’s how AI is now communicating worldwide - via autocorrect code.

I just figured Ouchie was making up new words. :cheers:

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

Cops Say Raiders’ Henry Ruggs Screamed at Them After Deadly Drunken Crash​

Heartbreaking accounts from the Good Samaritans that tried to save Tina's life.

Also kind of shocking (to me) that the bail was set at $150k when prosecutors wanted $1 million.
To read that people nearby were trying to pull her from the vehicle before the fire took over is truly heartbreaking.