Roster ideas and rumors for Suns

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would be surprised if anything gets done on the PF front for awhile. I think we go with the team we have and then use our roster and financial flexibility to possibly make an in season trade or, even more likely, a signing of a veteran buyout.

Three of our players are on minimum deals and a fourth is on a two-way deal. And we are more than $8 million under the luxury tax threshold. We already have all the roster and financial flexibility we need. What we need more is not to go into the season deliberately shorthanded.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be surprised if anything gets done on the PF front for awhile. I think we go with the team we have and then use our roster and financial flexibility to possibly make an in season trade or, even more likely, a signing of a veteran buyout.

There is nothing to prevent the Suns from making a move early on via trade or a move later in the season such as a buyout or trade. They could conceivably do both.

None of us have insider information although a national media source has confirmed the Suns interest in Thad Young. The thing we really don't know is how much the Suns value Jalen Smith and what the Spurs will accept in trade.

I thought there were some players worthy of training camp deals or possibly a two-way contract such as Kyle Alexander or Daniel Oturu. The inactivity makes me think the Suns have already explored the current market for power forwards and found it lacking or they have their eyes on another target down the road. How far down the road... we really don't know.

The Suns didn't hesitate to add small forward Chandler Hutchison when he became available on a two-way contract so they are not afraid to make a move.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There is nothing to prevent the Suns from making a move early on via trade or a move later in the season such as a buyout or trade. They could conceivably do both.

None of us have insider information although a national media source has confirmed the Suns interest in Thad Young. The thing we really don't know is how much the Suns value Jalen Smith and what the Spurs will accept in trade.

I thought there were some players worthy of training camp deals or possibly a two-way contract such as Kyle Alexander or Daniel Oturu. The inactivity makes me think the Suns have already explored the current market for power forwards and found it lacking or they have their eyes on another target down the road. How far down the road... we really don't know.

The Suns didn't hesitate to add small forward Chandler Hutchison when he became available on a two-way contract so they are not afraid to make a move.

I have the dreaded feeling that Chandler Hutchison is insurance for if/when they let Bridges walk or is being used to try to leverage a lowball deal with Bridges.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We KNOW where Jalen Smith is. Or were you not paying attention in Summer League?

My God. That's now THREE on this board pushing for the Suns to gift Jalen Smith playing time he doesn't deserve and hasn't earned, just like they did with Chriss and Bender. What kind of message does that send the rest of the team? What kind of culture does that facilitate?

And I'M supposedly the troll.

Sheesh.

You mean where he led the league in rebounds, that summer league? He was the focal point of the offense there and would be the 5th option offensively in the regular season. He showed he can bang inside, which is what he'd be asked to do.

And taking a look at him briefly as a backup in certain situations is NOT gifting him minutes he didn't earn. If Monty plays him, he earned that time. YOU know much less than Monty and NEVER seen Jalen practice or have any insight into whether he's earned minutes or not. I know you want him glued to the bench until he magically becomes a starter but that doesn't happen without reps. Getting him some reps against certain teams in various situations is for the best

Absolutely no one is calling for him to receive big minutes or to play a consistent role of any sort of importance. So quit trying to push some false narrative that people here are demanding he be used as a key player.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I have the dreaded feeling that Chandler Hutchison is insurance for if/when they let Bridges walk or is being used to try to leverage a lowball deal with Bridges.

Signing a player to a two way contract as a replacement for letting Bridges walk? That definitely sounds like the type of stupid thing you would think. Let me guess, we signed Chasson Randle as a replacement for when Chris Paul demands a trade next month?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You mean where he led the league in rebounds, that summer league? He was the focal point of the offense there and would be the 5th option offensively in the regular season. He showed he can bang inside, which is what he'd be asked to do.

And taking a look at him briefly as a backup in certain situations is NOT gifting him minutes he didn't earn. If Monty plays him, he earned that time. YOU know much less than Monty and NEVER seen Jalen practice or have any insight into whether he's earned minutes or not. I know you want him glued to the bench until he magically becomes a starter but that doesn't happen without reps. Getting him some reps against certain teams in various situations is for the best

Absolutely no one is calling for him to receive big minutes or to play a consistent role of any sort of importance. So quit trying to push some false narrative that people here are demanding he be used as a key player.

I know that practice (where Dragan Bender once reportedly looked like the next coming of Dirk Nowitzki) doesn't say diddly squat about ability in actual games.

And I HAVE seen Jalen Smith play in actual games...every Summer League game in which he played most recently, and to put it bluntly he was the most awkward and least coordinated basketball player I have ever seen. He literally couldn't control his body for so much as a single step. His body appeared to be an amalgam of mismatched parts. Yes, he grabbed a ton of rebounds on a team that laid enough bricks to build a large city, but while he got a number of rebounds that bounced right to him, he more often let balls slip right through his fingers, and he very rarely came down with contested rebounds. He didn't block, or really even contest, shots. He repeatedly missed layups (where he got a number of his rebounds). He threw the ball away a lot. He had poor handles. He shot and missed a ton of threes.

He hasn't earned a minute of NBA playing time. Not. One. Minute. Advocating him getting so much as a single rep in a real NBA game other than purely in garbage time is advocating for a return to the losing philosophy and culture under McD where players like Chriss and Bender played real NBA minutes before earning them, only this time would be even worse, because this time the team is supposed to be a championship contender, and unlike Chriss and Bender, Jalen Smith has yet to prove he can even be a positive contributor in Summer League or the G League.

You're the one pushing the false narrative here. Jalen Smith needs to be in the G League until he at least can prove he can cut it at that level.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Signing a player to a two way contract as a replacement for letting Bridges walk? That definitely sounds like the type of stupid thing you would think. Let me guess, we signed Chasson Randle as a replacement for when Chris Paul demands a trade next month?

No. Randle is a camp body because CP3 is coming off of wrist surgery and Booker has COVID. At most he MIGHT push for the #3 point guard role as insurance for if Elfrid Payton flops.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
to put it bluntly he was the most awkward and least coordinated basketball player I have ever seen. He literally couldn't control his body for so much as a single step.
Solid analysis.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Solid analysis.

About the best way I could describe the body control he exhibited, or rather didn't exhibit, in Summer League, was that he very much resembled Vincent D'Onofrio's character in Men in Black after the bug killed him and used his skin as a suit.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears the Suns are 100% vaccinated.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per John Gambadoro the Suns still have interest in Thad Young but probably staying put in San Antonio for now.

Keep playing Stix!

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Per John Gambadoro the Suns still have interest in Thad Young but probably staying put in San Antonio for now.

Keep playing Stix!

Why is everyone jumping on the "play Stix" bandwagon when he clearly is not an NBA player at this time? I am absolutely flabbergasted. Do you WANT us to go back to the Chriss/Bender/Watson/Igor/McD days???

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is everyone jumping on the "play Stix" bandwagon when he clearly is not an NBA player at this time? I am absolutely flabbergasted. Do you WANT us to go back to the Chriss/Bender/Watson/Igor/McD days???

Why do you think you have credibility after being so very wrong for the last 12 months? Why do you keep repeating the nonsense?

Do me a favor and answer those questions in front of a mirror while reading them out loud.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why do you think you have credibility after being so very wrong for the last 12 months? Why do you keep repeating the nonsense?

Do me a favor and answer those questions in front of a mirror while reading them out loud.

The fact remains that anyone who wants the Suns to win, and to remain credible to its own star players, shouldn't want this version of Jalen Smith anywhere near the court... ever...

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Keep playing Stix!

Spurs are just playing chicken.

They have no use for him, and are just trying to get the most value. May wait all the way till the deadline.

By the way put me down as someone that has zero faith in Stix and does not think he should play a minute.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spurs are just playing chicken.

They have no use for him, and are just trying to get the most value. May wait all the way till the deadline.

By the way put me down as someone that has zero faith in Stix and does not think he should play a minute.

Yeah, the word is the Spurs want a first round pick.

I'm talking about giving Stix some preseason minutes to see what he can do.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, the word is the Spurs want a first round pick.

I'm talking about giving Stix some preseason minutes to see what he can do.

If he couldn't cut it in Summer League less than 2 months ago, what makes you think preseason will be any different?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put me down as someone that has zero faith in Stix and won't complain at all if he never sees the court. But I also won't complain if the coaching staff sees reasons to play him, whether its to develop him or build up his trade value or just to convince themselves that there is or isn't a place for him in this league.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Put me down as someone that has zero faith in Stix and won't complain at all if he never sees the court. But I also won't complain if the coaching staff sees reasons to play him, whether its to develop him or build up his trade value or just to convince themselves that there is or isn't a place for him in this league.
Exactly this. For me, anything that Stix gives is pure gravy. My ceiling for him this year is, by the end of the season, to take Kaminsky’s minutes and production. if he gives more, great, if he gives less, bummer, but if he indeed gives less, I don’t believe it will have much affect on our season as a whole.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Can a team that's supposed to be contending for a championship with only a 2-year window at most really afford to do that?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Exactly this. For me, anything that Stix gives is pure gravy. My ceiling for him this year is, by the end of the season, to take Kaminsky’s minutes and production. if he gives more, great, if he gives less, bummer, but if he indeed gives less, I don’t believe it will have much affect on our season as a whole.

It all depends on how much the Suns are counting on him to give more...

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I do like that thought on Jalen replacing Kaminsky, mainly due to his athletic advantage.

But kaminsky is a professional, well liked locker guy, seems good with the chemistry flowing,better passer and a way better shooter.

I do agree that if Jalen comes and produces efficiently within the 5-10 mins he might get, then it’s a win.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do like that thought on Jalen replacing Kaminsky, mainly due to his athletic advantage.

But kaminsky is a professional, well liked locker guy, seems good with the chemistry flowing,better passer and a way better shooter.

I do agree that if Jalen comes and produces efficiently within the 5-10 mins he might get, then it’s a win.

I'm also looking where the Suns are at the end of this season and next season.

McGee, Kaminsky and Payton are all on one year contracts. If Stix is ready to play next season he is worth keeping. Even if the Suns trade for Thad Young, he may only be a rental not that I would be upset if the Suns feel he is a missing piece.

Of course I'm counting on the Suns to add another player with the 15th roster spot that can add depth via a trade or buyout.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
AZ Central has Hoops Hype rumor, Marvin Bagley for Jalen Smith. Don't like it, Bagley can't play defense, no outside shot and can't stay healthy. Smith is already a potential 3 & D PF.