Roster ideas and rumors for Suns

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And what will you do if the team implodes or reverts back to the McD culture in the event Jalen Smith is gifted playing time the same way Chriss and Bender were?

And his play in Summer League spoke for itself. As his body continued to grow disproportionately, he ultimately looked like Frankenstein's monster bumbling and stumbling around on the court. Zero coordination.
Cheese isn't the one polluting the board with absurd claims. And why do you keep creating this scenario that's so unlikely to happen? It's highly unlikely that Jalen sees any meaningful minutes, however that's defined. If he gets some minutes it will likely be in a blowout (win or loss). Regardless, I haven't seen any one here calling for meaningful minutes for Jalen.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Cheese isn't the one polluting the board with absurd claims. And why do you keep creating this scenario that's so unlikely to happen? It's highly unlikely that Jalen sees any meaningful minutes, however that's defined. If he gets some minutes it will likely be in a blowout (win or loss). Regardless, I haven't seen any one here calling for meaningful minutes for Jalen.
Much less be gifted minutes.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or because he is proving himself worthy of those minutes. We were in the finals. We are past the days of doling out playing time to bad players.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

My post earlier today was in direct response to TWO different posters who advocated for giving him meaningful playing time.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Or because he is proving himself worthy of those minutes. We were in the finals. We are past the days of doling out playing time to bad players.

So why are you advocating the Suns doing so? He has done nothing...nothing at all...to prove himself worthy of those minutes.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My post earlier today was in direct response to TWO different posters who advocated for giving him meaningful playing time.
Two? All I see is one poster suggesting we should see what Smith can do. That does not mean give him meaningful minutes. It means play him when you can and if he shows value, then give him more minutes. That's pretty typical when dealing with a young, raw player. And that's assuming the coaches see what they want from him in practice, otherwise he'll never see the court.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And what will you do if the team implodes or reverts back to the McD culture in the event Jalen Smith is gifted playing time the same way Chriss and Bender were?

And his play in Summer League spoke for itself. As his body continued to grow disproportionately, he ultimately looked like Frankenstein's monster bumbling and stumbling around on the court. Zero coordination.

So, you’re not willing to put your money where your mouth is?

And I’ll be here just the same. Maybe you don’t realize this but I was one of the BIGGEST critics of McD and Sarver for YEARS. And if they fall back into that place, I’ll become one of the biggest critics again. But I’m not going to pollute the board with unlikely scenarios and predictions seemingly HOPING they come true so you don’t look like such the complete and utter fool like you did last season.

You thought CP3 was gone. He wasn’t and he was signed to a team friendly contract. You thought we’d low ball Payne and lose him. You were dead wrong again and we got him to a great contract. You have questioned whether Ayton deserves a MAX contract because of how he floats while crying like a baby that AYTON’S NOT SIGNED TO THE MAX!! Yes, we need a backup PF. Literally EVERYONE agrees. But the idea that not having one RIGHT NOW means we are well on our way to lower town is flat out pathetic.

tired and pathetic.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Two? All I see is one poster suggesting we should see what Smith can do. That does not mean give him meaningful minutes. It means play him when you can and if he shows value, then give him more minutes. That's pretty typical when dealing with a young, raw player. And that's assuming the coaches see what they want from him in practice, otherwise he'll never see the court.

Covert Rain as well.

And a team with championship aspirations cannot afford to take such an approach, particularly where that young, raw player has been an abject disaster at the G League and Summer League levels.

Jalen Smith MUST first show he can hold his own in real games (and in a rare bit if wisdom, Allen Iverson was right about "practice" insofar as he was noting that level of play in practice doesn't count when it comes to performance level in actual games) at the so-called minor league level before the Suns "play him when [they] can" at the big boy level". Anything else is a direct repeat of what they did with Chriss and Bender.

You wouldn't expect a guy batting under .100 or a pitcher with an E.R.A. over 10 in AAA, or even worse AA or Single A, to get immediate meaningful game action at the MLB level for a World Series contender, would you?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, you’re not willing to put your money where your mouth is?

And I’ll be here just the same. Maybe you don’t realize this but I was one of the BIGGEST critics of McD and Sarver for YEARS. And if they fall back into that place, I’ll become one of the biggest critics again. But I’m not going to pollute the board with unlikely scenarios and predictions seemingly HOPING they come true so you don’t look like such the complete and utter fool like you did last season.

You thought CP3 was gone. He wasn’t and he was signed to a team friendly contract. You thought we’d low ball Payne and lose him. You were dead wrong again and we got him to a great contract. You have questioned whether Ayton deserves a MAX contract because of how he floats while crying like a baby that AYTON’S NOT SIGNED TO THE MAX!! Yes, we need a backup PF. Literally EVERYONE agrees. But the idea that not having one RIGHT NOW means we are well on our way to lower town is flat out pathetic.

tired and pathetic.
Worth remembering, he already lost a "will leave the board" bet to you last season.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Suns management and the coach just spent the better part of a press conference saying that Dario Saric is the heart and soul of the team. Thad Young isn't coming here. Period.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It's been really really silent on this front since first reported. I think that's a good thing. Seems to me that when things are hush hush it ends up being good news. If you are hearing it constantly? Likely won't work out.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been really really silent on this front since first reported. I think that's a good thing. Seems to me that when things are hush hush it ends up being good news. If you are hearing it constantly? Likely won't work out.

My guess is it's a done deal. Also it helps explain why the Suns have not shown any interest in players for camp deals or two-way contracts.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My guess is it's a done deal. Also it helps explain why the Suns have not shown any interest in players for camp deals or two-way contracts.

Wouldn't explain that at all. The only way a Thad Young trade works for the Suns cap-wise is if they trade two players for one or three players for two. That actually opens an additional roster spot that they would need to fill, to go along with the one that is already open.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Is it more than when he wanted a PG before we got Ricky Rubio?

Pretty much the same. The Suns have now ignored their need at power forward for over two years much in the same manner they ignored their need at point guard for over two years before signing Rubio.

Some pretty interesting parallels, too:

Jalen Smith / Elie Okobo (neither anywhere near NBA ready and both struggled mightily in the G League)

Dario Saric / Isaiah Canaan (more suited to a different bigger position, center for Saric and shooting guard for Canaan, even at the proper size for this position, and both coming off of a major injury)

Frank Kaminsky / Shaq Harrison (loosest parallel...both borderline NBA players)

Cam Johnson out of position / Point Book (both ill-suited for the position and at the same time hurting effectiveness and development at his natural position)

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much the same. The Suns have now ignored their need at power forward for over two years much in the same manner they ignored their need at point guard for over two years before signing Rubio.

Some pretty interesting parallels, too:

Jalen Smith / Elie Okobo (neither anywhere near NBA ready and both struggled mightily in the G League)

Dario Saric / Isaiah Canaan (more suited to a different bigger position, center for Saric and shooting guard for Canaan, even at the proper size for this position, and both coming off of a major injury)

Frank Kaminsky / Shaq Harrison (loosest parallel...both borderline NBA players)

Cam Johnson out of position / Point Book (both ill-suited for the position and at the same time hurting effectiveness and development at his natural position)

You left out some parallels such as worst record in the NBA versus 2nd best record in the league. Also, missed the playoffs by 26 games versus playing in the NBA finals.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I would be surprised if anything gets done on the PF front for awhile. I think we go with the team we have and then use our roster and financial flexibility to possibly make an in season trade or, even more likely, a signing of a veteran buyout.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be surprised if anything gets done on the PF front for awhile. I think we go with the team we have and then use our roster and financial flexibility to possibly make an in season trade or, even more likely, a signing of a veteran buyout.
Yeah I had hopes for T Young at one time but it sounds like we've moved on. I expect we'll wait for the midseason releases/buyouts although a 3 team trade in October where we move a future pick and Jalen Smith for Young wouldn't shock me.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I had hopes for T Young at one time but it sounds like we've moved on. I expect we'll wait for the midseason releases/buyouts although a 3 team trade in October where we move a future pick and Jalen Smith for Young wouldn't shock me.

This is about where I am. I think Thad Young is likely to be bought out if San Antonio can't find a trade by the deadline and then we'll see if he really has interest in coming here. Its not a pressing need at the moment so why give up assets for someone who may be free, or close to it, in a couple of months.

I think its more important we get an idea on where Jalen Smith is and giving him some spot minutes will show that. He was a lottery pick last season. It's not like giving him a look will cause Booker, Paul, or Ayton are going to revolt for giving Jalen a shot.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You left out some parallels such as worst record in the NBA versus 2nd best record in the league. Also, missed the playoffs by 26 games versus playing in the NBA finals.

A top 3 point guard and coach will do that for you.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is about where I am. I think Thad Young is likely to be bought out if San Antonio can't find a trade by the deadline and then we'll see if he really has interest in coming here. Its not a pressing need at the moment so why give up assets for someone who may be free, or close to it, in a couple of months.

I think its more important we get an idea on where Jalen Smith is and giving him some spot minutes will show that. He was a lottery pick last season. It's not like giving him a look will cause Booker, Paul, or Ayton are going to revolt for giving Jalen a shot.

We KNOW where Jalen Smith is. Or were you not paying attention in Summer League?

My God. That's now THREE on this board pushing for the Suns to gift Jalen Smith playing time he doesn't deserve and hasn't earned, just like they did with Chriss and Bender. What kind of message does that send the rest of the team? What kind of culture does that facilitate?

And I'M supposedly the troll.

Sheesh.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson