Suns @ Lakers Sunday game thread 5-9-2021

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Indeed, it does seem the Suns are continually intimidated by the Lakers (or similar teams like Clippers, Nets, Celtics, probably Warriors when they are back to full strength, etc.) - veteran teams with superstars that are going to get calls from the refs. The Suns turtle up against those types of teams, and don't really have the fiery leadership (aside from Paul to some limited extent) to overcome that.

If they want to really contend for the title, they need to find a way to overcome that, or at least get another leader type (or two) here to instill it. Otherwise, they are just going to end up like very good but not great Suns teams of the past - nice regular season records, but total failures in the post-season.
Well that seals suns doom in poffs.... obviously hope not

Jones needs desperately to add another solid big body to compete with ayton

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed, it does seem the Suns are continually intimidated by the Lakers (or similar teams like Clippers, Nets, Celtics, probably Warriors when they are back to full strength, etc.) - veteran teams with superstars that are going to get calls from the refs. The Suns turtle up against those types of teams, and don't really have the fiery leadership (aside from Paul to some limited extent) to overcome that.

If they want to really contend for the title, they need to find a way to overcome that, or at least get another leader type (or two) here to instill it. Otherwise, they are just going to end up like very good but not great Suns teams of the past - nice regular season records, but total failures in the post-season.

reality is that to compete with one of those teams, they need at least one true blue SUPERSTAR. I love CP3. He’s one of the best leaders I’ve ever seen, but his superstar days are long gone, if he ever actually had them.

This team is going to be like the 1991/92 Suns. They’ve got a good enough mix of players to be a perennial 50 win club, possibly win a playoff round depending on match ups for the next couple years. But not really contend for a title.

Cotton woulda looked at this team the same way he did 1992... they need a Charles Barkley type of player.

Who that is and who we can trade to get him is anyone’s guess.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As we know, the Suns didn't come out ready to play.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope the Suns did get the message the Lakers sent and respond accordingly if they meet them in the playoffs.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Ugly game. The Lakers got anything they wanted and the Suns weren't able to take anything away. The bigger worry over the last 10 games or so is that the defense seems to have fallen off. Sure, there's the occasional quarter or two that they turn it up (OT in Cleveland, for example), but overall feels like the team is a ways off from where they were before.

I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt, as it kinda correlates with Crowder's injury, but they gotta find their mojo back.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I think there is still a chance that Suns could make a run in the playoffs. Maybe even all the way, if circumstances break correctly. If Lakers and Clippers get knocked out by someone else, and likewise some younger team comes out of the East, maybe the cards fall their way.

It's not a strong probability by any means, but not impossible.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugly game. The Lakers got anything they wanted and the Suns weren't able to take anything away. The bigger worry over the last 10 games or so is that the defense seems to have fallen off. Sure, there's the occasional quarter or two that they turn it up (OT in Cleveland, for example), but overall feels like the team is a ways off from where they were before.

I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt, as it kinda correlates with Crowder's injury, but they gotta find their mojo back.

Now that the Suns have a high seed in the West locked up, I think the key to getting their mojo back is resting or limiting the minutes of key players.

The Suns appear mentally and physically exhausted from the grueling end of season schedule. It started with the trip back East to play Milwaukee on April 19th and it's kept right on going.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

this is definitely the most troubling thing with the team. It’s not a coincidence that the defense has really tailed off as DeAndre went back to be MasturbAyton out there.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that the Suns have a high seed in the West locked up, I think the key to getting their mojo back is resting or limiting the minutes of key players.

The Suns appear mentally and physically exhausted from the grueling end of season schedule. It started with the trip back East to play Milwaukee on April 19th and it's kept right on going.

has it really been that grueling? The Celtics have stunk against everyone lately, we played the Jazz without Mitchell and Conley, the Clippers without Kawhi and Beverly, the woefully pathetic Thunder and Cleveland who are routinely getting trounced by 40 and with half of their teams sitting, and the Lakers without LeBron, Schroeder and Kuzma who have been in a tailspin.

we’ve gotten a TON of breaks with what looked like a tough schedule, but we have struggled through it. And a lot of it has been our defense.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
reality is that to compete with one of those teams, they need at least one true blue SUPERSTAR. I love CP3. He’s one of the best leaders I’ve ever seen, but his superstar days are long gone, if he ever actually had them.

This team is going to be like the 1991/92 Suns. They’ve got a good enough mix of players to be a perennial 50 win club, possibly win a playoff round depending on match ups for the next couple years. But not really contend for a title.

Cotton woulda looked at this team the same way he did 1992... they need a Charles Barkley type of player.

Who that is and who we can trade to get him is anyone’s guess.

A well rested CP3 can still take over a series but the other guys have to hit shots. What hurts is no consistent inside scoring threat. It’s mid-range/3’s or bust right now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker on slow starts which has been a problem.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers defense were doing some blitzes the Suns can hopefully figure out.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns not being able to get to the free throw line as much as the Lakers was a huge problem.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A well rested CP3 can still take over a series but the other guys have to hit shots. What hurts is no consistent inside scoring threat. It’s mid-range/3’s or bust right now.

i don’t think Paul can take over a series. He’s never really been able to do that. Not at a superstar level. And I definitely don’t think he can at the age of 36.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting to the free throw line as much as the Lakers was a huge problem.

I REALLY don’t like this. we’re already complaining about the refs? We’ve got a big man who shoots 2 FTs per game. look at you own fixable problems before you start blaming the refs like a bunch of *******.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
because he shouldn’t be this weak period. He’s both the biggest possible solution and biggest problem on this team that will either make it a legit title contender or keep It a pretender.

and I don’t know what the answer is.

I mean Davis destroyed Jokic last year in the playoffs it’s what he does. There is nobody in the NBA that can deal with him when he’s on.

I think your letting this loss get you to riled up. We aren’t as good as they are point blank period

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
has it really been that grueling? The Celtics have stunk against everyone lately, we played the Jazz without Mitchell and Conley, the Clippers without Kawhi and Beverly, the woefully pathetic Thunder and Cleveland who are routinely getting trounced by 40 and with half of their teams sitting, and the Lakers without LeBron, Schroeder and Kuzma who have been in a tailspin.

we’ve gotten a TON of breaks with what looked like a tough schedule, but we have struggled through it. And a lot of it has been our defense.

I do think the end of season schedule has been grueling.

The Suns have caught some breaks on injuries but they have earned their seed in the standings. It's unfortunate the best team in the West and perhaps the NBA may be waiting for them. No way should the Lakers be a play-in team.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I REALLY don’t like this. we’re already complaining about the refs? We’ve got a big man who shoots 2 FTs per game. look at you own fixable problems before you start blaming the refs like a bunch of *******.

dude again with calling pro athletes “*******”

take a step back and collect yourself.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
i don’t think Paul can take over a series. He’s never really been able to do that. Not at a superstar level. And I definitely don’t think he can at the age of 36.

He went toe to toe with Harden last year for a few games and had a trip-dub in game 7.

He’s on pace to play more minutes than each of his last 4 seasons. He should get at least a week off before the playoffs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He went toe to toe with Harden last year for a few games and had a trip-dub in game 7.

He’s on pace to play more minutes than each of his last 4 seasons. He should get at least a week off before the playoffs.

that was against a pretty weak Houston team. In the first round. Where he put up 21/7/5. That isn’t toe to toe. That’s a very good series. That isn’t a superstar level series.

And they lost.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dude again with calling pro athletes “*******”

take a step back and collect yourself.

lol. Ok.

It’s all relative to other NBA players. Guys that whine about refs are ******* compared to other NBA players who hold their own team accountable, IMO. I think it’s a sign of mental weakness as a team.

But if you’re looking to start a fight with me, I ain’t your huckleberry.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score

CP3 and Booker are going to see a steady stream of double teams in the playoffs. The rest of the team has to be able to make the defense pay for it. Cam, Mikal and Crowder primarily need to be able to hit shots, but just as important is Ayton/Frank/Dario to be an effective release valve from the top of the key and punish the 4 on 3s. Draymond is probably the best in the business at this.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol. Ok.

It’s all relative to other NBA players. Guys that whine about refs are ******* compared to other NBA players who hold their own team accountable, IMO. I think it’s a sign of mental weakness as a team.

But if you’re looking to start a fight with me, I ain’t your huckleberry.

na you got prios

it’s your go to when you get emotional

nobody is looking for anything just saying calm down and relax.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Didn't see a second of the game but that's on booker there he either has to immediately pass the ball to Crowder who's wide open or attack the double. If you just hold the ball and let them rotate back all you've done is take 4-5 seconds off the clock without doing anything. That's nowhere near as far out as teams do that to Curry but it's the same idea make him give it up so someone else has to make the play.

How in the hell did Ayton play 33 minutes and take only 3 shots?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort