2021 2nd round pick is Rondale Moore WR

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
If AJ Green is better than the Ghost of Larry Fitzgerald we should expect him to get more targets, yes?

this is how i think of AJ Green

he takes over the Larry Fitz role, but plays outside: dependable vet with great hands

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Here's an analysis from one of the Purdue writers (this coming from Rivals):

Brian Neubert • GoldandBlack
GoldandBlack.com staff
@brianneubert

ON RONDALE MOORE

I know Rondale Moore was determined to be a first-round pick, and that didn't happen — not surprisingly given his difficult final two seasons at Purdue — but he did come out of this weekend's draft well, as the 49th pick to the Arizona Cardinals.

NFL success more than probably any other sport is simply about fit, and about investment.

In Glendale, Moore will have an offensive-minded, college coaching-bred coach in Kliff Kingsbury, long known as a modern and creative thinker as an offensive coach. Rondale Moore needs that sort of setup, clearly, because he belies a lot of norms.

Landing on a roster with an elite quarterback already in place in Kyler Murray, and a big-time wide receiver in DeAndre Hopkins to play off, those things are obviously critically important too.

The weather in the NFC West is certainly better than many of the alternatives, and I do think that matters for a speed- and quickness-dependent player, as does the chance to play home games indoors, albeit on slide-in grass and not turf.

For Moore to be the player the Cardinals hope he'll be, he'll need to stay healthy first and foremost. His injury strife at Purdue really did mar what could have been one of the great careers in college football history otherwise, and I'd think really undercut his chances to be a first-round pick.

But he will also need to provide special teams value. That's part of the deal here. Often is for smaller, faster guys, but Moore is protected by the level of investment Arizona made in him, so it's not like he's some fringe guy just trying to earn a spot.

But he will also need schematic help offensively, the kind he got at Purdue when he was on the field. Moore is not a plug-and-play guy in a traditional sense. He's a sub-package-type with the ability to write a whole new chapter into the playbook of any coach open-minded enough to craft one.

That's the biggest part of this, and It's up to both Rondale Moore and Kliff Kingsbury now to make him successful.

I like his chances in Arizona better than I would most places.

Reaction score
this video is awesome. The comments from the panel about how he has no problem getting in defenders grill without the ball and the video analysis is fantastic.

It is a great video on Moore. I posted it in another thread but it got overlooked methinks. The kid is a stud & is going to be a great addition to our offense.

Reaction score
The ghost of Larry Fitzgerald? Really? Show the man a little respect please. He's still probably better than half of the WR's in the league not to mention on our team.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
There’s talk of Moore drops too. Just keeping things real. Like rondale leaps and bounds Moore than Issy.

Usage rate and catchable passes have a lot to do with that though as well.

Izzy:
College 229 of 378 (58% catch rate)
2019...21 of 35
2020...30 of 49 (60% catch rate)

Moore:
2018...114 of 160 (77% catch rate)
2019...29 of 43 (67.4% catch rate)
2020...35 of 44 (79.5%)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The ghost of Larry Fitzgerald? Really? Show the man a little respect please. He's still probably better than half of the WR's in the league not to mention on our team.
Sorry, this is a totally ridiculous statement.

and yes, he is a shadow of his former self. Even Larry would admit that. Even better, I’ll bet even his father and brother would admit that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

no. I love Larry, but he was running in mud last season.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If AJ Green is better than the Ghost of Larry Fitzgerald we should expect him to get more targets, yes?

There were 33 other targets scattered among other receivers abs backs last year. So 2 additional targets per game and another .5 rushes per game handed to someone.

We only had 4 rushes by receivers all year last year; people thinking this is suddenly going to become a staple are incorrect.

What did Cardinals WRs really suck at last year?

YAC

Larry Fitzgerald YAC per reception of 3.4 yards was 124th in the league.
Kirk wasn't much better with 3.6 yards and 122nd in the league.
Isabella averaged 3.9 yards after each catch which put him at 114th in the NFL.
Hopkins had the highest among the Cardinals WRs with an average of 4.6 yards and that put him at 80th in the NFL.

At Purdue 71% of Moore's yards came after the catch. This is where I hope Moore will help the Cardinals.
Kirk was so good at YAC in college. In fact you could make the case Kirk's highlight tape would probably be just as impressive (although Moore's is because he's 5'7")

Kirk got faster, but lost his strength. Hope Rondale can maintain strength and speed.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kirk was so good at YAC in college. In fact you could make the case Kirk's highlight tape would probably be just as impressive (although Moore's is because he's 5'7")

Kirk got faster, but lost his strength. Hope Rondale can maintain strength and speed.

I don't think strength has anything to do with it. A lot of YAC comes down to the scheme and are you being put into a position to get YAC by the routes you are being asked to run.

Kirk simply isn't. Had to get YAC on curls and out routes.

Reaction score
Sorry, this is a totally ridiculous statement.

and yes, he is a shadow of his former self. Even Larry would admit that. Even better, I’ll bet even his father and brother would admit that.

To say he's a shadow of himself or to call him a ghost would imply that he's around 10% of what he once was. He's not as fast as he used to be but he was never that fast to begin with. I would say he's at 80% of what he once was. He can still catch the ball.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

There were 33 other targets scattered among other receivers abs backs last year. So 2 additional targets per game and another .5 rushes per game handed to someone.

We only had 4 rushes by receivers all year last year; people thinking this is suddenly going to become a staple are incorrect.[/QUOTE]

In today’s NFL a lot of jet sweeps and speed sweeps with WRs, especially out of the shotgun, are tossed into the air and considered a catch. I agree that we didn’t run many of these, but maybe it’s because we didn’t have the right player to do it with. We ran one week 17 against the rams with JoJo Ward and it resulted in a TD. Just something to think about...

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To say he's a shadow of himself or to call him a ghost would imply that he's around 10% of what he once was. He's not as fast as he used to be but he was never that fast to begin with. I would say he's at 80% of what he once was. He can still catch the ball.

When there are 110 players in the NFL with more receiving yards than Fitzgerald then I would say he is a shadow of his former self.

When 175 NFL players have more receiving TDs than Fitzgerald then I would say that he is a shadow of his former self.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

No way he’s 80%. And you can interpret my words however you like, but that doesn’t make it my intent. I would say performing even at 60% (likely higher - if Fitz dropped 20% of his speed that would drop him from 4.5 to 5.5 - but let’s be more realistic bc he likely runs faster than 5.5 - even if it’s dropped him to 4.75 or 4.8 that makes him one of the slowest skill positions in the league) of a professional’s average career ability makes them a ghost or a shadow.

for his career Fitz averaged 1,042 yards per season. 60% would be 617 yards. He had 409 in 13 games last year. Even if we project over 16 games that’s only 503 yards. That’s only 48% production = ghost of Fitz. And a far cry from 80%.

Reaction score
When there are 110 players in the NFL with more receiving yards than Fitzgerald then I would say he is a shadow of his former self.

When 175 NFL players have more receiving TDs than Fitzgerald then I would say that he is a shadow of his former self.

Lol, just because he isn't used as much doesn't make him less of a player. You can honestly say that all 175 or 110 of those players are better than Larry?

Reaction score
No way he’s 80%. And you can interpret my words however you like, but that doesn’t make it my intent. I would say performing even at 60% (likely higher - if Fitz dropped 20% of his speed that would drop him from 4.5 to 5.5 - but let’s be more realistic bc he likely runs faster than 5.5 - even if it’s dropped him to 4.75 or 4.8 that makes him one of the slowest skill positions in the league) of a professional’s average career ability makes them a ghost or a shadow.

for his career Fitz averaged 1,042 yards per season. 60% would be 617 yards. He had 409 in 13 games last year. Even if we project over 16 games that’s only 503 yards. That’s only 48% production = ghost of Fitz. And a far cry from 80%.

Use vs ability.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use vs ability.

okay... so you’re saying Kyler was then a failure in getting him the ball?

The idea that Larry is still 80% of what he was is almost as ridiculous as when you said a sluggish David Johnson and John Brown were better than Antonio Brown and Leveon Bell when they were All-Pros.

you consistently overrate Cardinals players to extreme degrees. And continuing to do so with Fitz. Dudes a legend but he’s done.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

The idea that Larry is still 80% of what he was is almost as ridiculous as when you said a sluggish David Johnson and John Brown were better than Antonio Brown and Leveon Bell when they were All-Pros.

you consistently overrate Cardinals players to extreme degrees. And continuing to do so with Fitz. Dudes a legend but he’s done.
I forgot about those scenarios. Yeah he’s just not realistic about our players.

Larry will always be a part of our mount Rushmore and a HOFer, but thinking he isn’t being used enough in an offense that was starved for high end targets after nuk is neither reasonable nor jibing with the eye test.

Reaction score

I am saying Kyler is a failure at getting Larry the ball.

DJ & JB in their prime was every bit as good as Lev Bell & AB. Just because both DJ & JB fell off a cliff sooner doesn't mean they weren't as good when they were at the top of their game. Sluggish David Johnson? ****. Next time you bring it up you'll say he was in a wheel chair rolling down the field & JB only had one arm when I claimed it. Do you keep this reference in a rolodex somewhere so you can bring it up every time we have a difference of opinion on a player (''Let's see, argument with cardncub, yup here it is, he said DJ & JB are as good as LB & AB.'' 3/3/2016)? You guys continually under rate our players so wtf is the difference?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am saying Kyler is a failure at getting Larry the ball.

DJ & JB in their prime was every bit as good as Lev Bell & AB. Just because both DJ & JB fell off a cliff sooner doesn't mean they weren't as good when they were at the top of their game. Sluggish David Johnson? ****. Next time you bring it up you'll say he was in a wheel chair rolling down the field & JB only had one arm when I claimed it. Do you keep this reference in a rolodex somewhere so you can bring it up every time we have a difference of opinion on a player (''Let's see, argument with cardncub, yup here it is, he said DJ & JB are as good as LB & AB.'' 3/3/2016)? You guys continually under rate our players so wtf is the difference?

I can agree with dj Johnson first seasons being close to levon Bell but John brown has never been half of the player Antonio brown was,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose