2021 2nd round pick is Rondale Moore WR

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They can look each other in the eye

KM has trouble seeing his receivers over the OL as it is. This just makes even harder for him to find Moore

Moore highlights didn't impress me. He was wide open in many of them.

We need to see contested catches. Getting open in tight spaces.

Freiermuth was another option for us
But he was wide open due to some twitchy minor route moves. It’s a thing. And it’s valuable.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Moore actually runs like K1 in the open field...very similar styles of juking/accelerating past the first guy.
That’s actually a good comp. herky-jerky still based on instant re-acceleration. I was thinking watching him it wouldn’t work at the NFL level, but you’re pointing out kyler’s success gives me more confidence.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Differences between Izzy and Moore...

1. Rondale is Moore elusive in his attacks
2. Rondale is Moore powerful
3. Rondale catches Moore passes

Izzy MAY have a slight edge in speed but not much. Issues with Izzy and Christian is their drop rates.

If Rondale can stay healthy, we have our Steve Smith/Tyreek Hill/Tyler Lockett game changer.
There’s talk of Moore drops too. Just keeping things real. Like rondale leaps and bounds Moore than Issy.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I’m not nitpicking. You’re throwing out an impossible situation to justify the fact that he is short. Still comparing apples to oranges as basketball and football are no where near the same sport. If you want to do that, Mike Tyson was a short heavyweight. I’d say he was a pretty good boxer. How about Jose Altuve in baseball. He’s pretty good :shrug:. He’s a exciting athlete and is electric with the ball in his hands. He’s a football player and a damn good one in my opinion. The “height issue” hasn’t stopped some of the WRs I mentioned beforehand have a pretty good career in the NFL.
The entire discussion was about how there are probably more failed tall WRs than short ones, and my point was that WRs of that height don't make it to the next levels because they're just not in demand.

If there's 1000 WRs playing in college over 6'0, and 300 under 5'9, "more failed tall WRs" is just going to make sense by volume.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As a WR4 Moore will be lucky to have 30 targets all year
It’s possible. Particularly as a rookie. But to assume he can’t pass Kirk is faulty reasoning. And if he is the fourth target he’ll take last year’s fourth receiver and likely most, if not all, of Arnold’s catches with our current TE group. If he shows talent not unreasonable to think he can grab 40-50 (I think 50 is his ceiling as a rookie with the cast around him) for 500-600 yards and 4-8 TDs. Would be a fine rookie season for a 2nd round pick.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My thoughts:

I generally don't want to draft height/speed outliers, but you have to focus on the person.

It worked out with Kyler because of his drive and his elite athletic ability.

Rondale Moore has elite athletic ability. We don't know about his drive, but I'd wager he has the kind of drive because of his weightroom prowess. A player of his size isn't going to get to a 600 lb squat without working extremely hard.

Rondale has size limitations, so that means he can't be used the same way a 6'2 fast guy can. This pick really comes down to whether he is used correctly, used often enough, and he stays healthy.

Rondale fits a very specific niche in this offense:. He is a dynamo on bubble screens and jet sweeps. It drove me NUTS last year watching Kliff run bubble screens to Hopkins and Fitzgerald. I can't remember either of them having ANY success running those plays. Moore has a chance to be feature on these plays. Also running mesh with Kirk over the middle should be deadly in 10 personnel.

I like this pick because I can very much see how he fits; most first year receivers wouldn't get much play in this offense because I doubt whether they would supplant Hop, Kirk, or Green. This kid doesn't supplant them; he supplements them.
EXACTLY

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m willing to guess there’s just as many short receivers that have failed in the NFL as there are big tall receivers. N’keal Harry, Kelvin Benjamin, Josh Doctson, and Laquan Treadwell all first round busts with a big catch radius, but they either can’t catch or separate :shrug:
I’ll bet more tall first round busts than short first round busts bc the short stature plays against them in the draft process. So I’ll bet there’s just fewer in aggregate drafted in first round, period. The better datapoint would be percentage of each drafted in each round, that pass and fail.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SK: "Our QB Kyler Murray is a big fan of yours."
I love the fact that keim twice mentioned immediate impact as a returner. If russ’ info was correct he averaged 7 yards on punt return and 20 on KO returns. In college. Those are totally pedestrian numbers. Keim is not smart.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ok, I found something I like. The kid graduated college in 2.5 years. Took 12 hours of classes a day. Respect.

As I said before. None of us know anything until they hit the field. There's been many draft stars who have been bums and many "bums" who have been stars. It's done so I will support the kid and hope he does well.
If nothing else he’s shown the character traits of being extremely driven and working hard in multiple areas. That’s a great base with his athleticism to strive for success.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I have to laugh at the guys on this board worried about his height. I remember a couple of years ago, when height was supposedly an issue to many on this board with K1. I'm a 5'6" guy myself & played every sport there was. Loved abusing the taller guys. Even in hoops, I knew I'd run circles around the big dudes. Athletes are athletes & they come in many different sizes.
Absolutely. But in a sport of behemoths, outliers have to be extra special so it’s more of a rarity.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Guy loses some credibility when he references nkeal Harry as having been known for making guys miss. I never heard that as part of his skill set at asu. Breaking tackles - yes; making tacklers miss - not as much.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ll bet more tall first round busts than short first round busts bc the short stature plays against them in the draft process. So I’ll bet there’s just fewer in aggregate drafted in first round, period. The better datapoint would be percentage of each drafted in each round, that pass and fail.

having lenght limitation force them to compensate with will, attitude, hard work and above average athleticism
Guy loses some credibility when he references nkeal Harry as having been known for making guys miss. I never heard that as part of his skill set at asu. Breaking tackles - yes; making tacklers miss - not as much.

In college he was, i remember some great punts return from him, and he made people miss

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is another reason why I do not like the pick. When is the last time Keim has ever drafted a WR that came to be good? The answer is never.

Furthermore, how many of these smaller WRs has he drafted that have turned out to be nothing? Isabella, Nelson, Brown, Kirk? Some of these guys have been serviceable at best.

I don't want Keim drafting a WR at all, unless he is a 100% cant miss prospect like Jamarr Chase.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Here is another reason why I do not like the pick. When is the last time Keim has ever drafted a WR that came to be good? The answer is never.

Furthermore, how many of these smaller WRs has he drafted that have turned out to be nothing? Isabella, Nelson, Brown, Kirk? Some of these guys have been serviceable at best.

I don't want Keim drafting a WR at all, unless he is a 100% cant miss prospect like Jamarr Chase.
First, brown was more than “serviceable.” He was a very good pick.

second, you’re absolutely right that his track record selecting wrs has been absolutely dreadful. But does that mean the cardinals just throw their hands up in the air and never draft another receiver again as long as he’s gm? That’s not a workable game plan.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave