I don’t get the hate

Tacticool Nerd

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not at all disappointed with the pick. The way I see it with the news coming out that he'll be a inside backer along with Simmons gives VJ a lot of set diversity. Mind you with Simmons skill set he isn't always going to be at linebacker. Heck he could possibly even line up at safety in the nickle.

With Collins while he may play some inside backer he could sometimes switch to edge rusher with that size of his. While I am a concerned about his weight I'm an optimistic one. After watching some breakdowns of him he has a HUGE upside.

Mind you he played in a 3-3-5 at Tulsa so he will be rather good in coverage with his high football IQ.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he does on the field.

I was hoping for Farely but there's still a 2nd round to maybe get Asante Samuel Jr (if he's there when we pick) or the UNC RB.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My real issue here is the same as Choppers. If I asked you to build a defense, middle linebacker is the last spot you address.

So this pick HAS to be more than "Decent starter" or we are just blowing up how to properly build a team.
I agree with this. If you just met an average player at this position with the 16th pick in the draft it’s almost equivalent to a bust. An average LT? You can work with that. An average wr? You can work with it. An average cb? Same. An average ILB at 16? Huge disappointment. He has to be a difference maker. I hope he is.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
ILB is one of the key piece
History told that
Urlacher, ray lewis, Patrick Willis, navorro bowman, Bobby Wagner, fred Warner, Dez white, lavonta David, there is a reason they have been or they are one of the reason their defense has been successful
But they were only key pieces bc they were special. If they aren’t special they are hicks and not big difference makers.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hmm. I always considered it one of the key positions. But it was the position I played so maybe I am biased.
Same in college before my body blew apart. So I’ve always had an affinity for the position. It’s one of the rare positions where if you’re really good you can blow up virtually all aspects of an offense. I think that’s why the special ones (singletary, Lewis, etc.) are considered soooo good. They seemed to be everywhere.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just to inject a point of sanity, so haters please stop reading. Last season we did NOT have an offseason, and that had a big impact on Simmons. Hopefully, we have one this year. Fingers crossed.

P.S. It would help if posters who hate the Collins pick, post the player you would have taken.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Against people who will never sniff a NFL field.

Blowing up production against the Harvard of the south (Tulane) is pretty pointless. It's like crowing about the one guy who is set to play in the SEC by using his small school high school tape.

I guess Corey Littleton, Matt Milano and Darius Leonard are bums then?

They don't hand time with a sun dial. Maybe they shaved a fraction but he would still be faster than all these guys, with significantly more weight.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ILB is one of the key piece
History told that
Urlacher, ray lewis, Patrick Willis, navorro bowman, Bobby Wagner, fred Warner, Dez white, lavonta David, there is a reason they have been or they are one of the reason their defense has been successful
Probably because they(their defenses) were rich in more valuable positions.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Against people who will never sniff a NFL field.

Blowing up production against the Harvard of the south (Tulane) is pretty pointless. It's like crowing about the one guy who is set to play in the SEC by using his small school high school tape.

The Hall of Fame is replete with players who in College ran up stats against the "Little Sisters of the Poor".

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think a lot of people wanted the Cardinals to draft a cornerback or a wide receiver so I can see why people are disappointed.

It also didn't help the Cardinals were trying to trade down from #16 and couldn't find a taker.

It takes away from the selection.

This is a 100 percent false narrative people that support the pick keep throwing out there. Keim himself stated they didn't try, that Collins was simply too good to pass off. And that's part of why I think the pick stinks. He's great at limiting his own options.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a 100 percent false narrative people that support the pick keep throwing out there. Keim himself stated they didn't try, that Collins was simply too good to pass off. And that's part of why I think the pick stinks. He's great at limiting his own options.

If you try to trade down you get bent over.

If there is somebody out there that want's to trade up they will call you. If they don't, then there weren't any takers.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I guess it depends on how much confidence one places in Gambo's tweets. Personally, I think the Cardinals were trying to trade down.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
so you were going to complain no matter who the pick was because we've been mediocre since 2015
I am usually all sunshine and puppies

I am such a homer I bought a Rosen jersey so who knows. Maybe Collins is a future all pro. He certainly seems bright
Imo he's the replacement for Hicks at ILB & will share snaps with him plus insurance in case he gets hurt? Plus even though Collins is heavy, he moves a hell of a lot faster than Hicks. Once he learns the defense & can make all the audible calls, Hicks will be on the sideline more if he's as good as the analysts say?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Same in college before my body blew apart. So I’ve always had an affinity for the position. It’s one of the rare positions where if you’re really good you can blow up virtually all aspects of an offense. I think that’s why the special ones (singletary, Lewis, etc.) are considered soooo good. They seemed to be everywhere.
Good job man. I played MLB (and some DE) in football and SG on the basketball team. Small high school. No college. Started both. Still love the sports but I would have never had a chance in college.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The good news is that there is a universe where having two ILBs with the size and speed of Simmons and Collins can be the centerpieces of an amazing defense. They are both fast and long enough to shut down the zone running game. They are both athletic and long enough to make the crossing route aspect and seam routes of passing games very difficult. Taking away those things makes running an offense very tough.

Everyone knows my opinion on Vance so I will not repeat it, but that is where the question is.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose