Free Agency 2020

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The odds of us finding a legit replacement for Paul if he misses significant time is very slim. Even someone like Augustine probably isn't anything more than a band-aid that could cover for a game here or there.

If Paul misses a large chunk of the season we will be screwed no matter what IMO.

Same thing if Booker misses a ton of time. I think Paul should be load-managed given his age and history of breaking down when he has too many miles on the tires.

Paul plays 60 of 72 and we are in good shape, but we should sit him strategically (against really bad opponents or in schedule losses), and for this strategy to work we need to have a NBA caliber starting PG so we can still compete.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And I think Paul should be load managed, so the Suns need to find a Hill/Augustin type guy to spot start and play 20 mpg.

Fair point, but that then gives us 6 point guard sized players on the roster (Paul, Hill/Augustin, Payne, Carter, Okobo and Alexander). That looks too dangerously like the disastrous 2014-15 roster for my liking...

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This. Especially if we don't fill our other holes.

I really think a third guard is our number one hole.

Yes we need another 3 and 4, but we need a scoring combo guard more.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns need a third point guard behind Paul and Payne. Carter is not a true point guard. Neither is Okobo.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Same thing if Booker misses a ton of time. I think Paul should be load-managed given his age and history of breaking down when he has too many miles on the tires.

Paul plays 60 of 72 and we are in good shape, but we should sit him strategically (against really bad opponents or in schedule losses), and for this strategy to work we need to have a NBA caliber starting PG so we can still compete.
Hill or Augustine would be very nice to have if we are planning to do this. Or even if we aren't it can't be a bad idea to get another dependable PG in here.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

We already have too many point guard sized players, though (Paul, Okobo, Carter, Payne and Alexander).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need a wing. Especially if Cam is going to be spending time at pf.

I am nervous about pf. We could be ok there but it’s a lot to put on a rookie and Saric is almost starting material but not quite.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fair point, but that then gives us 6 point guard sized players on the roster (Paul, Hill/Augustin, Payne, Carter, Okobo and Alexander). That looks too dangerously like the disastrous 2014-15 roster for my liking...

Okobo needs to be cut.

Alexander is a 2 guard - and is end of bench / g league.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let the Knicks and Carmelo Anthony unite.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Mikal and Cam are ready to play 65-70 of the 96 3/4 minutes, tilted more to the 3, so we only need to squeeze 25-30mpg out of the rest of the orange. Saric/Smith should be able to take the balance of the 4 minutes. Noel as back-up 5 at the BAE would be perfect.

Then we can use our MLE on the best guard. Or Millsap I suppose if you’re bearish on Saric/Smith at the 4.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Alexander is 2-guard sized imo. Okobo can bounce. Carter is tough enough to guard 2s even tho he’s small. Paul can bother anyone with his defensive IQ.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Mikal and Cam are ready to play 65-70 of the 96 3/4 minutes, tilted more to the 3, so we only need to squeeze 25-30mpg out of the rest of the orange. Saric/Smith should be able to take the balance of the 4 minutes. Noel as back-up 5 at the BAE would be perfect.

Then we can use our MLE on the best guard. Or Millsap I suppose if you’re bearish on Saric/Smith at the 4.

That rotation gets completely destroyed at the 4, and also gets abused at the 3 when Bridges is not on the court. It can't compete.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Agreed, although like I’ve said I think a stagger or Paul/Booker makes this less dire.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Alexander is 2-guard sized imo. Okobo can bounce. Carter is tough enough to guard 2s even tho he’s small. Paul can bother anyone with his defensive IQ.

Alexander is 6'3", though he does have long arms. Of that group, he is the only one potentially strong enough to guard a back-up like, say, KCP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard