2020 Draft

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't take any stock in Gambo's opinion, dude usually knows things about 5 minutes before we do.

I think #10 is Terry barring a drastic drop from someone like Wiseman, Okongwu, Haliburton or Toppin. I think teams are intrigued with him as a possible Steph Curry / Trae Young type because of his shooting range.

Jalen Smith's knock was that he was assertive enough but MARY had a lot of scorers on that team (Wiggins, Cowan, Ayala & Ledo) so that shows to me he is a team player. I think he is the top 2 way PF in this draft. Hopefully PHX can land both he and their PG in this draft as I don't think we'll see any FA signings other than guys on the roster, Saric maybe with the Paul now on the roster.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about if Haliburton fell to 10, and the Suns didn't draft him?

I'd have the same reaction. There are some players the Suns can't pass on but I doubt they will be there.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Now THAT would be a surprise.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If James Jones prefers Bane over Haliburton, I will never trust any scouting judgment he makes ever again.

You've already made it clear that you have never and will never trust Jones for anything so why do you keep throwing out these absurd "if" statements? We don't know what he's thinking so dragging him through the coals over and over for media and fan speculation makes no sense and unnecessarily sours the mood on this board.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't take any stock in Gambo's opinion, dude usually knows things about 5 minutes before we do.

I think #10 is Terry barring a drastic drop from someone like Wiseman, Okongwu, Haliburton or Toppin. I think teams are intrigued with him as a possible Steph Curry / Trae Young type because of his shooting range.

Jalen Smith's knock was that he was assertive enough but MARY had a lot of scorers on that team (Wiggins, Cowan, Ayala & Ledo) so that shows to me he is a team player. I think he is the top 2 way PF in this draft. Hopefully PHX can land both he and their PG in this draft as I don't think we'll see any FA signings other than guys on the roster, Saric maybe with the Paul now on the roster.

Terry? He's projected late first. Obviously that doesn't mean much with this front office, especially after last year.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You've already made it clear that you have never and will never trust Jones for anything so why do you keep throwing out these absurd "if" statements? We don't know what he's thinking so dragging him through the coals over and over for media and fan speculation makes no sense and unnecessarily sours the mood on this board.
Agreed . Jones seems to have gotten this team on the right track and deserves a certain amount of grace for that. In regards to drafting, I like that he is putting more value in guys that may not have elite characteristics, but can play ball and serve a purpose on a team. Too many times I feel like NBA GMs draft potential and get burned (out last GM for instance ) and Jones is drafting guys that at a minimum will be able to fill a role long term much like he did in his career. I’m sure he will take a few more swings once the opportunity makes sense.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Agreed . Jones seems to have gotten this team on the right track and deserves a certain amount of grace for that. In regards to drafting, I like that he is putting more value in guys that may not have elite characteristics, but can play ball and serve a purpose on a team. Too many times I feel like NBA GMs draft potential and get burned (out last GM for instance ) and Jones is drafting guys that at a minimum will be able to fill a role long term much like he did in his career. I’m sure he will take a few more swings once the opportunity makes sense.

That's still not an excuse to go from one extreme to the other. There are guys who can fill a role who also at least have elite potential, and there are guys who can fill a bigger role even if they don't have Elite potential. As long as those guys are available, why reach for a guy whose ceiling is as an 8th or 9th man?

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I am just mentally preparing myself for Bane to be the pick. That way I can only be neutral or happy with the pick.
He does have NBA ready abilities. He can hit the open 3 and might be the best passing SG in the draft. He'd be a good backup to Book and wouldn't kill us defensively. I just don't think he's the 10th best prospect in this draft (nor the 20th for that matter) and, more importantly, I honestly believe most of the other teams feel the same way. Hope we don't reach here.

I'm fully expecting a trade back.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

just because we improved last year does not mean James Jones did a good job with personnel decisions. He didn’t.

tj warren trade was terrible. Ty Jerome selection was terrible. Cam selection at 11 was not good. Yeah he has turned out ok, but we could have drafted him at 20, and could have drafted Tyler herro instead.

josh Jackson trade was also highly questionable, and frank kaminsky was not a good fa signing.

I also feel there was no reason to give OKC our first rounder in the latest trade either.

saric move seems like it was good, but that’s about it.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He does have NBA ready abilities. He can hit the open 3 and might be the best passing SG in the draft. He'd be a good backup to Book and wouldn't kill us defensively. I just don't think he's the 10th best prospect in this draft (nor the 20th for that matter) and, more importantly, I honestly believe most of the other teams feel the same way. Hope we don't reach here.

With short arms and zero athleticism, Bane absolutely would kill us defensively, plus while he can pass, he can't handle the ball against quicker opponents. He is very much this year's version of Ty Jerome. If you don't like what you have seen of Jerome in the NBA, I guarantee you that you won't like what we will see of Bane.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's still not an excuse to go from one extreme to the other. There are guys who can fill a role who also at least have elite potential, and there are guys who can fill a bigger role even if they don't have Elite potential. As long as those guys are available, why reach for a guy whose ceiling is as an 8th or 9th man?
I guess my only answer is due to the fact that you only need three(ish) studs and 5-10 good basketball players to win in this league. It helps to draft those three studs no doubt but Jones may have looked at the idea that he had Booker and Ayton already and wanted to surround them with solid players and all around good dudes . Just my opinion, and I truly hope he does go for someone like Vassell in this draft.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I am too, but I don’t like it. We can’t just draft safe old college players continually and expect to be competitive in the long run.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am too, but I don’t like it. We can’t just draft safe old college players continually and expect to be competitive in the long run.

Like I said before, a team full of James Joneses can't win in the NBA...

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
just because we improved last year does not mean James Jones did a good job with personnel decisions. He didn’t.

tj warren trade was terrible. Ty Jerome selection was terrible. Cam selection at 11 was not good. Yeah he has turned out ok, but we could have drafted him at 20, and could have drafted Tyler herro instead.

josh Jackson trade was also highly questionable, and frank kaminsky was not a good fa signing.

I also feel there was no reason to give OKC our first rounder in the latest trade either.

saric move seems like it was good, but that’s about it.

I like TJ Warren and didn’t like the trade although I don’t know what behind the scenes looked like( TJ seems like more of an alpha the someone like Book may be comfortable with).

Other than that no arguments from me other than the team seems better and easier to watch which is not been something I could do over the last 10 years.
That being said I lean on you guys for basketball , because like I said I haven’t watched much in a while. Hoping this years team earns my time.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
We have realistically moved out of the "rebuild phase" and are, by most standards, a playoff contender. So I'm ok with drafting safe picks if they fill a much needed role (Essentially follow the SA model).

As far as the trade back, I'm okay with it if we draft smart (and maybe get a little lucky).

Say Okoro is there and we trade #10 to Boston for #14 and #26.

We could walk away with:

Tyrell Terry and Jalen Smith or

Kira Lewis and Daniel Oturu

I'd be happy with either combo.

I'm not gonna be thrilled if we trade back and then REACH (for a guy like Bane)... again.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who are your top 5?

It changes but right now my top 5 is Wiseman, Bey, Toppin, OO and Patrick Williams followed by a group including Terry, Lewis, Vassell, Jalen Smith, Pokusevski, and Okoro.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
With short arms and zero athleticism, Bane absolutely would kill us defensively, plus while he can pass, he can't handle the ball against quicker opponents. He is very much this year's version of Ty Jerome. If you don't like what you have seen of Jerome in the NBA, I guarantee you that you won't like what we will see of Bane.
Have you ever seen Memento?

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
It changes but right now my top 5 is Wiseman, Bey, Toppin, OO and Patrick Williams followed by a group including Terry, Lewis, Vassell, Jalen Smith, Pokusevski, and Okoro.
Nice... I think I have been ruined by past Suns drafts. I have a hard time placing too much value on potential. I like to see results on the court. I like Williams though. I think the Florida St. offense limited his production a bit, but he is still just outside of my top ten due to his biggest strength being that darn P word :)

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have realistically moved out of the "rebuild phase" and are, by most standards, a playoff contender. So I'm ok with drafting safe picks if they fill a much needed role (Essentially follow the SA model).

As far as the trade back, I'm okay with it if we draft smart (and maybe get a little lucky).

Say Okoro is there and we trade #10 to Boston for #14 and #26.

We could walk away with:

Tyrell Terry and Jalen Smith or

Kira Lewis and Daniel Oturu

I'd be happy with either combo.

I'm not gonna be thrilled if we trade back and then REACH (for a guy like Bane)... again.

Here’s the thing, if we are a playoff team that means we aren’t getting this high of a pick again for a while, so now is the time to draft someone with as much potential as possible, which is why I would draft someone like Killian Hayes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson