Budda Baker getting paid

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He is sooooo overrated :hammer:

The fact that he led all defensive backs in TFLs since he came into the league is a huge indicator of how good he is.

Baker makes the defense work.
He is quite simply a playmaker. People get caught up in in interceptions and things like that, but he can have huge effects on games without ever grabbing interceptions.

The fact that he is starting to do that as well is really just a bonus to what he already does.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
7 folks like this post.

FANS MAKE THE WORST GMs

I knew somebody would re-post this. I am happy that Buddha is NOW playing worthy of the highest paid Safety in the league. Prior to this year, he was MAYBE top 10.

I love Buddha, but his past performance did not make him worth the number one safety in the league.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I knew somebody would re-post this. I am happy that Buddha is NOW playing worthy of the highest paid Safety in the league. Prior to this year, he was MAYBE top 10.

I love Buddha, but his past performance did not make him worth the number one safety in the league.

Paying people solely based on past performance when they’re 24 y/o doesn’t seem that smart. Also, his past performance was multiple pro bowls.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
tAcKLe bAllCaRriErS sIx yaRdS doWn tHE FiELD ????

Yeah that's what happens when the FS comes streaking down the field or across the field to make the tackle.

We all saw what happens when Budda isn't making those 6 yard tackles.....someone else is making a 15 or 20 yard tackle.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

The dumbest thing a GM can do is pay based on past performance. You pay based on future performance. Budda has been and IS an ascending player. Plus, his contract is going to be a bargain when Jamal Adams becomes massively overpaid. I bet objective NFL fans (if they exist) will look at the two players and think, why pay Jamal $20 mil + when you can have Budda at $15 mil.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah that's what happens when the FS comes streaking down the field or across the field to make the tackle.

We all saw what happens when Budda isn't making those 6 yard tackles.....someone else is making a 15 or 20 yard tackle.

Right

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am happy that Buddha is NOW playing worthy of the highest paid Safety in the league. Prior to this year, he was MAYBE top 10.
Per the article K9 posted from the time of Baker's extension:
He finished ninth in ESPN's recent safety rankings in which Jeremy Fowler polled 50-plus league executives, coaches, scouts and players to rank the NFL's best safeties. Baker even ranked as high as second on one ballot.
I find it peculiar that you and many other Cardinals fans were skeptical that he belonged in the top 10, but NFL execs, coaches, scouts, and players already ranked him there.

...dbs

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Per the article K9 posted from the time of Baker's extension:

I find it peculiar that you and many other Cardinals fans were skeptical that he belonged in the top 10, but NFL execs, coaches, scouts, and players already ranked him there.

...dbs

Budda was probably like 8th best last year, but he is on a whole other level this year.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Man's earning his paycheck. Got to love it when a dude gets paid and plays like a man possessed. Too many dudes check out after getting that big pay day.
This

I was talking poo about his contract.... but dude has stepped up and is playing on another level
Keep in mind his first pro bowl was for special teams not for being a good safety
But I have no complaints about his contract now

might even buy a jersey

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure whether this was posted earlier, but i was watching another video and this came up as the next suggested video. Kurt Warner and Brian Baldinger review some film with Baker. Must've been from the offseason. Fun watch!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

...dave

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Not sure whether this was posted earlier, but i was watching another video and this came up as the next suggested video. Kurt Warner and Brian Baldinger review some film with Baker. Must've been from the offseason. Fun watch!

...dave
Thanks for posting that, nice to have KW there giving the QB perspective as well.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I think it was a result on the trade off of how they were implementing Simmons that day

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Budda stepping up as a Team Leader:

https://www.si.com/nfl/cardinals/news/budda-baker-speech-makes-difference-cardinals-win-over-giants

Also an interesting note from a NJ reporter following the game:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/s...g-nfc-east-control-sundays-defeat/6537641002/

The Budda Baker effect
So if you watched Sunday's game, there's one player whose name was rarely mentioned, and he was rarely seen in the middle of the action: Cardinals safety Budda Baker.

Despite playing 92 percent of the defensive snaps, Baker was quiet while others such as Haason Reddick (five sacks, three forced fumbles) and former Giant Markus Golden made all the noise.

But don't mistake that for Baker having zero impact on the game. I'm willing to bet it was the opposite. He's the Cardinals' best defensive player. A guess as to why Baker was quiet relative to Reddick and Golden - he was a big part of the coverage on the back end and helped neutralize Giants tight end Evan Engram, and that hurt the Giants.

That would be another big difference between Seattle and Arizona. The Giants easily identified Jamal Adams and went after him, especially in the run game. Adams showed himself pre-snap, where he was and what he was going to do, against the run in particular. It was hard to find Baker against the Giants, which likely means one of the league's biggest defensive playmakers was in a role that was much greater than appearance on the surface would suggest.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose