Matt Millers Post Super Bowl 7 round mock

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the draft network is doing their own work for sure, but it is not in any way tied to the feelings around the league. They create their own grades based off of their own work. That being said, it isn't so different from what PFF does. Their rankings are based more off of their own rankings than what scouts and teams around the league feel about prospects. Andrew Thomas was a top OT and top 10 player until Daniel Jeremiah released his first Mock Draft which had Thomas in the mid to bottom of the first round. Now the site has adjusted their rankings to put Thomas at the 18th ranked prospect and 3rd ranked tackle.

Personally, I feel like it reduces their credibility to the level of individuals on this board who watch a bunch of college football. That doesn't mean it doesn't contain some good info, but it does mean they are still one of the last places I do to determine where a player may go on draft day and where a player ranks among his peers.

I don't think they moved Thomas because of Jeremiah.

It's more likely because they are still watching tape on guys and adjusting rankings as they go. They have 5 or 6 guys there so overall rankings will adjust as people catch up on tape. Although there is an element of group think across the industry.

One of the reasons I like TDN is because their overall big board is an amalgamation of their individual big boards so you are getting a broader spectrum of opinion which is more likely to be accurate.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

It's more likely because they are still watching tape on guys and adjusting rankings as they go. They have 5 or 6 guys there so overall rankings will adjust as people catch up on tape. Although there is an element of group think across the industry.

One of the reasons I like TDN is because their overall big board is an amalgamation of their individual big boards so you are getting a broader spectrum of opinion which is more likely to be accurate.
Yes because it's always good to be amalgamated

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Their entire site is based upon the idea of providing real-time draft/prospect info vs other sites which only do so in the off-season. They have weekly mock drafts and rankings updates during the season. Over that entire time, Andrew Thomas has been OT #1. Suddenly, after the season is over (no more film, no workouts) and Jeremiah puts out his first mock draft which has Andrew Thomas as the #4 OT, Andrew Thomas is the #18 prospect. Not a coincidence.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Their entire site is based upon the idea of providing real-time draft/prospect info vs other sites which only do so in the off-season. They have weekly mock drafts and rankings updates during the season. Over that entire time, Andrew Thomas has been OT #1. Suddenly, after the season is over (no more film, no workouts) and Jeremiah puts out his first mock draft which has Andrew Thomas as the #4 OT, Andrew Thomas is the #18 prospect. Not a coincidence.

But they don't watch every prospect during the season. Thomas was OT1 going into the season which is why they had him there. They rank during the season based on limited tape and watching live games. They don't get around to proper tape grinding until the season is over. So for example, they would have seen very little of Becton like everyone else. That's why Becton was a 3rd rounder at the end of the season, then an early 2nd rounder, and now top 15th without playing a snap. People are just getting to watch him.

Players like McKinney, Chaisson, Kinlaw, Wills etc have shot up boards posts season. Will's for example was already starting to get OT1 talk as more people watched him before Jeremiah did his mock. It's just the season catching up as people finally get to properly watch prospects.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Matt Miller lowered Thomas at the same time.

Which means his contacts told him the same thing.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don’t like either of these comps. OBJ like Juedy is a great athlete but their ball skills aren’t comparable at this point (and I’m a Juedy fan).

Hopkins has 20 lbs on Lamb so I don’t see him being in balls in traffic at the rate Hopkins does. He reminds more of Keenan Allen with better YAC potential.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t like either of these comps. OBJ like Juedy is a great athlete but their ball skills aren’t comparable at this point (and I’m a Juedy fan).

Hopkins has 20 lbs on Lamb so I don’t see him being in balls in traffic at the rate Hopkins does. He reminds more of Keenan Allen with better YAC potential.

Snap. I don't get the Nuk comp. College film couldn't be more different.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Snap. I don't get the Nuk comp. College film couldn't be more different.

I see Hopkins. Perfect comparison in play style.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Isaiah Wilson. Bawh Gawd! That is one big human being.:shock:

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jerry ≠ Larry. You do not take a WR that early unless he is a surefire pro-bowler.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I do not see Becton as a top ten pick at all... sounds like the hype train is leaving the station on a lot of prospects now
You can teach / clean up technique but you can't teach his size, strength or feet. I don't think he is better than Andrew Thomas but all it takes is one team to fall in love.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You can teach / clean up technique but you can't teach his size, strength or feet. I don't think he is better than Andrew Thomas but all it takes is one team to fall in love.

I think his ceiling is MUCH higher.

I trust what I'm reading from the top draft guys.

Thomas might be the fifth best OT behind Wills, Wirfs, Becton, and Jones.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Slow feet, and you dont really see him dominate his guy. Very much a wall off blocker. I love his effort getting to the second level. He tends to reach out with his hand punch alot and will have his hands smacked away by NFL DL.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
All of this deep analysis is so stupid.

Like Kyler last year...... Look at how they dominated the people across from them.

Becton doesn’t even belong in the same arena as Thomas. He needs a passport to enter the country that Thomas occupies.

There are only 3 1st round worthy tackles in this draft and then a ton of wing and a prayer hopes.

Wirfs, Wills, Thomas. However you prefer them.

Everything else is a Hassan Reddick wannabe. Sports science may love them, but they haven’t proven anything against competition that truly matters.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do not see Becton as a top ten pick at all... sounds like the hype train is leaving the station on a lot of prospects now

Snap. He's miles away on technique. Top 10 picks should be instant starters but he needs a lot of work.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

All this is true, but it doesn't make him a top 10 pick. Top 10 picks are sure fire day 1 starters. Not development guys who might be great with some work.

Late 1st round at best for me.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
All this is true, but it doesn't make him a top 10 pick. Top 10 picks are sure fire day 1 starters. Not development guys who might be great with some work.

Agreed but again all it takes is one team to fall in love and take a guy like Jonathan Cooper #7 overall. Sometimes it’s best to go with a safe pick when your in Top 10 rather than a sexy boom or bust pick.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
All of this deep analysis is so stupid.

Like Kyler last year...... Look at how they dominated the people across from them.

Becton doesn’t even belong in the same arena as Thomas. He needs a passport to enter the country that Thomas occupies.

There are only 3 1st round worthy tackles in this draft and then a ton of wing and a prayer hopes.

Wirfs, Wills, Thomas. However you prefer them.

Everything else is a Hassan Reddick wannabe. Sports science may love them, but they haven’t proven anything against competition that truly matters.

I disagree. Thomas has "pedigree" as a Georgia lineman. He plays with a collection of good linemen. But I dont see any WOW plays. Watch him move; he isnt nimble at all.

Becton is a monster. When he latches on to someone he dominates them. He pancakes opponents.

Quite a few mocks now have at least FIVE OTs going in the first as well. Jones allowed FOUR pressures all year. His pass sets are absolutely textbook. Much more fluid than Thomas. I wouldnt be shocked from what I'm reading to see Thomas be the last OT to go in the first round.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Agreed but again all it takes is one team to fall in love and take a guy like Jonathan Cooper #7 overall. Sometimes it’s best to go with a safe pick when your in Top 10 rather than a sexy boom or bust pick.

Cooper wasnt a boom or bust guy. He wasnt a sexy pick. His tape showed elite movement skills for a guard. If you remember he looked really good until his injury. When he came back, he wasn't the same. It happens.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I have to say that this mentality is most often a myth. Very few players drafted in the top 10 do not require refinement on the technique in a significant way. Nick Bosa is an exception. The rest of the 2019 top is the common rule.

The difference between Becton and Thomas is that Becton could come in and physically compete on day 1. He is large and athletic enough to do so. Thomas may not because his technique is likely not refined enough to be able to overcome his slow footwork vs faster NFL athletes.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I have to say that this mentality is most often a myth. Very few players drafted in the top 10 do not require refinement on the technique in a significant way. Nick Bosa is an exception. The rest of the 2019 top is the common rule.

The difference between Becton and Thomas is that Becton could come in and physically compete on day 1. He is large and athletic enough to do so. Thomas may not because his technique is likely not refined enough to be able to overcome his slow footwork vs faster NFL athletes.
You’re right about refinement, but Brit is also right... if you’re drafting someone in the top ten, they should start day one. Maybe not dominate immediately, but start.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson