Starting to warm to Simmons, but ...

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We haven't been able been able to cover the TE since Before Joseph was here....
We were able to the past 6 years. That’s including with Wilks as well.

It’s like people just magically forget Tony Jefferson use to blanket TEs for the most part. When he left after 2016, it was more of everybody in 2017-2018 that still held their own.

It’s a damn scheme issue. Denver this season did a lot better against TE than they did the previous two with Vance without huge changes in personnel.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I love this guy. Smart . Fast . Can tackle. Versatile. Can go from sideline to sideline. Reminds me of Washington. Seeing him inside next to Hicks excites me.

the problem with Buchanon was he was a safety who was moved to linebacker. Simmons has done both so putting him in this defense as a ILB would be a huge upgrade.
You forgot can cover. I think that’s the guy I’m wanting right now

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chopper loves Wirfs and he’s not coming off that.

but let’s stop acting like covering TE is the only thing Simmons does

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Excited to watch him tonight. Won't be able to key in on him for every play since I'll be out with friends, but looking forward to some ASFN analysis.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
We were able to the past 6 years. That’s including with Wilks as well.

It’s like people just magically forget Tony Jefferson use to blanket TEs for the most part. When he left after 2016, it was more of everybody in 2017-2018 that still held their own.

It’s a damn scheme issue. Denver this season did a lot better against TE than they did the previous two with Vance without huge changes in personnel.
Possibly, but our D was a mess and it did have to do more with personnel than anything. Lost a DE, two CB's, a S who forgot how to tackle and could'nt cover anybody....Buddah and Reddick out of position and without one. On and on.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love Simmons...... And I think he has more gifts than Los.

I just pray he has the same football IQ to sense big moments and plays. Simmons makes a ton of wow plays so it should translate but damn man...... Los seemed to make all the big plays and pass break-ups over the middle.
Doesn't need to have the dansby IQ but being so extremely talented from a athletic standpoint and so instinctive playing the position, he can do some Dwash stuff
Blitizing
Spying
Covering
U can use him in multiple positions, basically u have a player for 3role on defense

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Simmons not making it to #8.
Exactly why I said “I believe” I wouldn’t be shocked if we trade into the top 5 to land him.

He’s a freakish athlete & a freakish football player imo. He’s killing it again tonight so far.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Simmons not making it to #8.
It really is going to depend on the three QB's. We need them.

Young, Jeudy, Thomas, Okudah, Simmons

If the three QB's go..... One is ours.

And that doesn't include Wills (not deserving) or Brown (more of a case but not for me) or Lamb (not before Jeudy IMO).

There is a shot! Kuechly went at #9.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There is no player in the draft who would have a greater impact on improving our team than Simmons (except maybe Chase Young, who isn't slipping past #2).

After tonights game he may move up ahead of #8 though. Didn't think so until now.
#3 through #8 are all possibilities.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Simmons is a really smooth player. Doesnt look like he is running hard but covers lots of ground

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I think he is a luxury item when we need essentials to live. He is risky. He is at a non-premium position. I have a tough time putting any ILB in front of Okudah, Wirfs, and Derrick Brown considering where our roster is at this point in time.

All that said, I love him. I think he is a unique and special player who create some problems for opposing offenses.

If we somehow came out of free agency with Jack Conklin, Calais Campbell, and traded a 2021 1st for Stefon Diggs? In that scenario, I can see rationale in drafting Simmons at 8.

If Okudah fell to 8 i would run to the podium to take him.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1 Derrick Brown
2 Isiah Simmons
3 Javon Kinlaw

that’s my top 3

OP
OP
Dan H

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
For all the talk of Simmons playing so much safety in college, that’s not all that dissimilar from Brian Urlacher. And their size is not far apart, either.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some that I have talked to didn't see Simmons as very instinctive. Very athletic, very long, very fast, but not instinctive. I couldn't watch the game last night, and I haven't seen enough of the kid to make my own judgments. On tape, he looks great, but doesn't everyone. There are some great players that will be available at 8, so I'm not fretting this. Just curious what others think about Simmons's instinctiveness? DWeed wasn't instinctive coming out of TCU either & his athleticism more than made up for it. What says you?

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They were talking about Simmons this morning on Doug and Wolf. They gave the stats that last night on LSU's first three drives....Simmons lined up on different plays at ILB, OLB, S, Nickel Corner, and Outside Corner....and in those first three drives had like 4 tackles, 1 tackle for loss, 1 Pass break up, and a QB pressure/hurry.....at 6'4 230lbs. The dude is the definition of a swiss army knife, and a player that you just leave out on the field. He brings a lot of what we just don't have on our defense, athleticism and playmaking.

I could see him lining up almost anywhere and being an impact player. I can also see him running a 4.3 at the combine and going top 5!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard