Starting to warm to Simmons, but ...

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He came in as a safety but his body is growing the kid is huge. I didn’t know he was 6’4/6’5

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://wholeninesports.com/2019/10/05/isaiah-simmons-scouting-report/

This scouting reports compares him more to Deone Buchanan than Keuchly.

Thoughts?
I love this guy. Smart . Fast . Can tackle. Versatile. Can go from sideline to sideline. Reminds me of Washington. Seeing him inside next to Hicks excites me.

the problem with Buchanon was he was a safety who was moved to linebacker. Simmons has done both so putting him in this defense as a ILB would be a huge upgrade.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
on Buc -- at 6'0", i think his natural size was probably 205lbs or so

bulked up to 220 to play LB, and in doing so seemed like he lost his flexibility / movement skills --

Simmons is a natural 230 lbs, and as he matures with a 6-3 frame -- playing at 240 doesnt seem like a stretch

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

bulked up to 220 to play LB, and in doing so seemed like he lost his flexibility / movement skills --

Simmons is a natural 230 lbs, and as he matures with a 6-3 frame -- playing at 240 doesnt seem like a stretch
Simmons has nothing to do with Bucannon, he is way bigger and playing much faster, he is a better tackler and can cover also widereceivers

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

You'd have to strongly consider his skill set for this D. Particularly with the TE's in the division and just for his overall coverage skills. Not sure about his tackling in close range. Clemson had him in the secondary most of the game vs. OSU.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simmons has nothing to do with Bucannon, he is way bigger and playing much faster, he is a better tackler and can cover also widereceivers
His versatility would allow the Cards to move him around in certain situations. He could even move to the outside and blitz. I want this kid. Hope he doesn’t sparkle too much in the championship game.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Bucannon was a stiff especially later in his tenure here. He was top heavy and dealt with lower body injuries.

Simmons is listed at 230 but that seems a little high. If it’s his true weight he wears it really well. You wonder what he could look like in 2-3 years when he hits his prime... Scary.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Remember, Deone Bucannon was a relatively iconic player for a while, as the $backer revolutionizing the NFL. I think a lot of people don't realize he fell off pretty hard, and it's still a hip name for a versatile ILB/Safety, even though others did it better.

I would imagine the author thought of this as a big compliment, not a diss.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On the ESPN championship preview they just said 6’4 230

McShay is just gushing over him.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Sounds more like Dansby than Buchannon
I think the Buchannon comparison is more about the versatility that he has. Simmons is likely to be better at most things that Deone was, but he should bring a similar type of versatility.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I think the Buchannon comparison is more about the versatility that he has. Simmons is likely to be better at most things that Deone was, but he should bring a similar type of versatility.

I honestly think Dansby was a safety as a freshman at Auburn but moved to linebacker as he matured and got bigger.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
If you want a combo of Los & Dwash without the weed, Simmons is the guy!!! He’s a heat seeking missle who can cover almost anyone. Imo he will get better the more he plays LB.

I still say if he’s at #5 or 6 don’t be surprised to see Keim trade up & nab him.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If you want a combo of Los & Dwash without the weed, Simmons is the guy!!! He’s a heat seeking missle who can cover almost anyone. Imo he will get better the more he plays LB.

I still say if he’s at #5 or 6 don’t be surprised to see Keim trade up & nab him.
There will be too much talent available at 8 to trade up IMO. He will likely be there at 8 and if he isn't than there will be another very good talent there.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he's more of a safety right now than a linebacker. Box safety is the perfect role for him. It doesn't matter what name you put on him, he's essentially going to be in a similar position to OLB in a 4-3 when we are in a 3 man front. Down close to the LOS with the linebackers looking watching the run and looking for TE's leaking out, and when we go to nickel he will be in a similar position but obviously focused more on coverage.

He's not a Mike backer. He's never going to be. I don't see him drafted to take over from Reddick. The FA linebacker class is good this year so they almost certainly fill that from FA. It wouldn't rule out us drafting Simmons though as that $ backer safety / linebacker hybrid.

Unfortunately what does rule it out is that we drafted 2 safeties last year and they seem to like Jalen Thompson as box safety. Would be very surprised to see us draft him.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he's more of a safety right now than a linebacker. Box safety is the perfect role for him. It doesn't matter what name you put on him, he's essentially going to be in a similar position to OLB in a 4-3 when we are in a 3 man front. Down close to the LOS with the linebackers looking watching the run and looking for TE's leaking out, and when we go to nickel he will be in a similar position but obviously focused more on coverage.

He's not a Mike backer. He's never going to be. I don't see him drafted to take over from Reddick. The FA linebacker class is good this year so they almost certainly fill that from FA. It wouldn't rule out us drafting Simmons though as that $ backer safety / linebacker hybrid.

Unfortunately what does rule it out is that we drafted 2 safeties last year and they seem to like Jalen Thompson as box safety. Would be very surprised to see us draft him.

They can like whoever they want but our guys couldn't cover anyone in the middle
So a talented all around lb is a need there

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like Simmons. But I did read that Vance Joseph wants an ILB, who PLAYED LB in college. Was he just blowing smoke?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media