Jazz @ Suns Monday 10-28-19 game thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jazz visit the Suns on Monday for a 7 p.m Arizona time game. It will be televised on FSAZ.

The Jazz (2-1) are coming off a 113-81 win over the Kings on Saturday at home. They beat the Thunder in their opener and lost to the Lakers.

No doubt it will be a stiff test for the Suns.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like Ricky Rubio is probable which is welcome news although Jevon Carter played well in the Suns win over the Clippers on Saturday.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

Ricky Rubio is probable for Monday's game.

4:14 PM - 27 Oct 2019

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ty Jerome is still out.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I feel sorry for anyone that gets a feed of the Jazz broadcast. I hope for a great game from the Suns because I can't stand the Jazz (I live in the Jazz market, unfortunately).

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel sorry for anyone that gets a feed of the Jazz broadcast. I hope for a great game from the Suns because I can't stand the Jazz (I live in the Jazz market, unfortunately).

Who does their commentary, anyone noteworthy? I would imagine they're homers since Utah doesn't have any other professional teams but I wanted to hear another team's broadcast just to hear what they have to say about the Suns. I guess I'll skip that for the Jazz game. I should have listened to the Clippers feed with Billups.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who does their commentary, anyone noteworthy? I would imagine they're homers since Utah doesn't have any other professional teams but I wanted to hear another team's broadcast just to hear what they have to say about the Suns. I guess I'll skip that for the Jazz game. I should have listened to the Clippers feed with Billups.

Since I have no patience for EJ's runaway ego I tend to watch the opponent broadcast. I don't recall the name of the Jazz play by play announcer as I haven't paid attention to anyone there since Hot Rod Hundley retired. But I think the color guy is either Harpring or Thurl Bailey - I have fairly recent memories of each in that role.

Billups did a good job the other night and he and his partner (forget the name, no longer Ralph Lawler) were very complimentary of the Suns all night. Speaking of Billups though, I'd like to hear him answer the question now that he was so glib about early in the telecast. His partner asked him if he thought the Suns were going to be the most improved team this season. He laughed off the idea (not arrogantly or anything) and said that he had a lot of teams in the running for that but the Clippers were the easy call for most improved. Regardless of how he'd answer it now, I'll bet we moved up on his list.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are starting to get some attention.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It looks like Ricky Rubio is probable which is welcome news although Jevon Carter played well in the Suns win over the Clippers on Saturday.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

Ricky Rubio is probable for Monday's game.

4:14 PM - 27 Oct 2019
This has to one of the great stories this year. Ayton is out, but Baynes and Kaminsky are capable. Rubio is out but Carter and Booker fill the pg role nicely in a pinch. Having quality depth is such a luxury.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Isn't Hot Rod Hunley still doing Jazz broadcasts? He used to team with Al McCoy 40 years ago.

I love to go read other teams' message boards to see what they have to say about the Suns. I don't post though.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I have no patience for EJ's runaway ego I tend to watch the opponent broadcast. I don't recall the name of the Jazz play by play announcer as I haven't paid attention to anyone there since Hot Rod Hundley retired. But I think the color guy is either Harpring or Thurl Bailey - I have fairly recent memories of each in that role.

Billups did a good job the other night and he and his partner (forget the name, no longer Ralph Lawler) were very complimentary of the Suns all night. Speaking of Billups though, I'd like to hear him answer the question now that he was so glib about early in the telecast. His partner asked him if he thought the Suns were going to be the most improved team this season. He laughed off the idea (not arrogantly or anything) and said that he had a lot of teams in the running for that but the Clippers were the easy call for most improved. Regardless of how he'd answer it now, I'll bet we moved up on his list.

I'm surprised you're not a fan of EJ. I think he's one of the best color commentators in all of sports, not just basketball or locally. He really does provide some quality insight. I know he strokes his own ego a bit but generally it's not much of an issue. I did notice him doing that more during the Clippers game because they talked a lot about Lou Williams, who is the reigning Sixth Man of the Year, and EJ has won that award as well. Whenever he has the chance to bring it back to something he did like that, he doesn't pass up the opportunity to do so, which I could see rubbing some people the wrong way.

Appreciate the info on the Jazz crew. I do remember hearing something about Harpring working there now. It's the role players like EJ, Harpring, and Bailey that generally make the best TV people because their egos aren't that outrageous and they're willing to take a backseat to the action. Also they have to know a lot about the game to have had long careers playing. That's why I was surprised that Billups works with the Clippers. I remember how he was a favorite for the Cavs GM job a few years back but he past, understandably so, and hearing that he's now calling games is a little surprising.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has to one of the great stories this year. Ayton is out, but Baynes and Kaminsky are capable. Rubio is out but Carter and Booker fill the pg role nicely in a pinch. Having quality depth is such a luxury.

Agree. Having NBA depth is awesome.

Particularly exciting for me is how Monty has the Suns playing defense and playing as a team. If the Suns can keep this up they are going to be in most games. Tough game ahead tonight. The Jazz always give the Suns problems.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score

To me, this has been the most notable aspect of this years team. We seem to have the deepest bench I can recall for the Suns in a long time.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns are starting to get some attention.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Interesting facts in those two articles.

1. After two games, the Warriors have not yet had a lead.
2. The Warriors have 6 first or second-year players on their roster. Sounds like a Suns thing to do, with the same results.
3. After three games, the Suns have the highest point differential in the league.
4. After three games, the Suns lead the league in assist percentage.

It's early, of course, but it is encouraging that maybe we have turned a corner.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, this has been the most notable aspect of this years team. We seem to have the deepest bench I can recall for the Suns in a long time.

When everyone is healthy and available the Suns have the players to go twelve deep. It doesn't seem to be an illusion.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2. The Warriors have 6 first or second-year players on their roster. Sounds like a Suns thing to do, with the same results.
3. After three games, the Suns have the highest point differential in the league.

It's early, of course, but it is encouraging that maybe we have turned a corner.

I'm still waiting on the return of the D’Angelo Russell trade... whether he fits with Curry. I hope not but Draymond Green and Curry will likely figure it out. I hope they do not click until after the Suns visit.

I will feel a lot better when Ty Jerome and Deandre Ayton return. Jerome will give the Suns another shooter and playmaker they can rotate giving the team further depth at the guard position. You called it on Jevon Carter. He could be the steal of the Josh Jackson trade. Really like his tough nose defense, ability to run the team and he has developed a shot.

It's too early to know how those stats hold up but defense and teamwork is something that the Suns can rely on.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's interesting that the Suns look so good together because they haven't had a lot of time to gel. In a month or two, when these players are more familiar with one another, they should be able to counter any sort of planning other teams do when preparing for them because as the league gets put on notice that the Suns are legit, their teammates should learn where players like the ball more and where to move to while playing team defense. The team defense has been great so far and that's unusual for a squad that is comprised of new pieces.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised you're not a fan of EJ. I think he's one of the best color commentators in all of sports, not just basketball or locally. He really does provide some quality insight. I know he strokes his own ego a bit but generally it's not much of an issue. I did notice him doing that more during the Clippers game because they talked a lot about Lou Williams, who is the reigning Sixth Man of the Year, and EJ has won that award as well. Whenever he has the chance to bring it back to something he did like that, he doesn't pass up the opportunity to do so, which I could see rubbing some people the wrong way.

Appreciate the info on the Jazz crew. I do remember hearing something about Harpring working there now. It's the role players like EJ, Harpring, and Bailey that generally make the best TV people because their egos aren't that outrageous and they're willing to take a backseat to the action. Also they have to know a lot about the game to have had long careers playing. That's why I was surprised that Billups works with the Clippers. I remember how he was a favorite for the Cavs GM job a few years back but he past, understandably so, and hearing that he's now calling games is a little surprising.

I loved EJ at first and not just because he was such a huge improvement over the party boy (Majerle) but after a few years he started making it more about him than the game itself and after awhile I just couldn't take it anymore. He's knowledgeable and sometimes quite insightful about the NBA but his need to put the focus on his glory days grates on me. Actually, it's not just his glory days. How many times in an average telecast does he try to take credit for a change in the way someone plays? And it's stupid stuff such as "I told him not to turn the ball over like that, glad to see he listened to me" or "I told him to take that shot when he's open, clearly he listened to me". Myself notwithstanding, almost to a person Suns fans seem to love the guy but he draws a LOT of criticism from neutral fans.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's interesting that the Suns look so good together because they haven't had a lot of time to gel. In a month or two, when these players are more familiar with one another, they should be able to counter any sort of planning other teams do when preparing for them because as the league gets put on notice that the Suns are legit, their teammates should learn where players like the ball more and where to move to while playing team defense. The team defense has been great so far and that's unusual for a squad that is comprised of new pieces.

Yeah, we should see steady improvement throughout the season but I wonder how much of our stellar play so far has to do with scouting. Prior to this stretch, all you had to do to beat the Suns was to read the book on Devin. Now, other teams will have a legit need to scout and prepare for us as a team and then we'll start to see how good this coaching staff really is.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved EJ at first and not just because he was such a huge improvement over the party boy (Majerle) but after a few years he started making it more about him than the game itself and after awhile I just couldn't take it anymore. He's knowledgeable and sometimes quite insightful about the NBA but his need to put the focus on his glory days grates on me. Actually, it's not just his glory days. How many times in an average telecast does he try to take credit for a change in the way someone plays? And it's stupid stuff such as "I told him not to turn the ball over like that, glad to see he listened to me" or "I told him to take that shot when he's open, clearly he listened to me". Myself notwithstanding, almost to a person Suns fans seem to love the guy but he draws a LOT of criticism from neutral fans.

I know exactly what you're talking about and for the most part, I've always laughed those comments off as jokes. I have no doubt he has talked to players but the way he says those things comes across more as a guy taking credit for something rather than actually being the one who did the work involved. I get it though. I know I'm not changing your mind and you're not likely to change mine either but I will pay a little more attention tonight if I do catch any of the Suns telecast.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love EJ, he talks about himself only to tell the younger kids watching what to do, er what not to do. EJ is also really cool on nba radio.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I've thought about this too, Suns winning and Warriors losing. Everyone(national media) was on Booker's case about a lot of stuff, why is he getting paid, not winning, etc.
Now the Warriors are in the same spot it seems, I'm not sure they can put it together in time to make a playoff push. I'm loving it, i despise Green and Curry has been annoying to me, while i find Thompson the only likeable player. They spent money on DLo, with DLo looking terrible it might actually be harder to get rid of him. And they also spent money on Thompson, who's not going to play at all this season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gina Mizell (@ginamizell)
10/28/19, 12:04 PM
Ricky Rubio, with a sleeve on his left knee, is getting some shots up after #Sunsshootaround. He’s listed as probable to play tonight vs. Utah after missing Saturday’s win against the Clippers.

I hope Rubio plays. I feel like this is probably a game he circled on his own calendar since he was let go by the Jazz. I'd love to see him have a better game than Conley.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah, we should see steady improvement throughout the season but I wonder how much of our stellar play so far has to do with scouting. Prior to this stretch, all you had to do to beat the Suns was to read the book on Devin. Now, other teams will have a legit need to scout and prepare for us as a team and then we'll start to see how good this coaching staff really is.
As long as we have this many guys knocking down outside shots it won’t matter what other teams try to do. They may be able to strategize more on offense to exploit the weak points in our defense, but it’s hard to slow down an offense that has 7-8 guys all hitting shots.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose