Jazz @ Suns Monday 10-28-19 game thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as we have this many guys knocking down outside shots it won’t matter what other teams try to do. They may be able to strategize more on offense to exploit the weak points in our defense, but it’s hard to slow down an offense that has 7-8 guys all hitting shots.

I'd like for the Suns to play offensively like they did in the preseason against the Trail Blazers of course with the defense as well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gina Mizell‏Verified account @ginamizell

Ricky Rubio, with a sleeve on his left knee, is getting some shots up after #Suns shootaround. He’s listed as probable to play tonight vs. Utah after missing Saturday’s win against the Clippers.

11:04 AM - 28 Oct 2019

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's interesting that the Suns look so good together because they haven't had a lot of time to gel. In a month or two, when these players are more familiar with one another, they should be able to counter any sort of planning other teams do when preparing for them because as the league gets put on notice that the Suns are legit, their teammates should learn where players like the ball more and where to move to while playing team defense. The team defense has been great so far and that's unusual for a squad that is comprised of new pieces.
I think part of why they are gelling is that they know they have to. The players that James Jones added are good quality NBA players but not stars. They are good enough to play very well but not good enough to star on their own. They are also smart and know their success is rooted in how well they play as a unit. Monty's real victory is getting Booker to buy in.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gina Mizell‏Verified account @ginamizell

Ricky Rubio, with a sleeve on his left knee, is getting some shots up after #Suns shootaround. He’s listed as probable to play tonight vs. Utah after missing Saturday’s win against the Clippers.

11:04 AM - 28 Oct 2019
Kinda funny. I was elk hunting this last week and fell hard on my left knee against a rock. It hurt bad initially but I could walk ok. Swelled some. I cannot kneel on it, but otherwise I can move. Guess Ricky and I are sharing the same injury at the same time.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kinda funny. I was elk hunting this last week and fell hard on my left knee against a rock. It hurt bad initially but I could walk ok. Swelled some. I cannot kneel on it, but otherwise I can move. Guess Ricky and I are sharing the same injury at the same time.

but who's a better 'shot'?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as we have this many guys knocking down outside shots it won’t matter what other teams try to do. They may be able to strategize more on offense to exploit the weak points in our defense, but it’s hard to slow down an offense that has 7-8 guys all hitting shots.

But that's the thing - when defenses are geared to our style of play we will likely see fewer wide open 3's. As for our defense, if we can keep our effort high I think that only fouls (legit or otherwise) will be the only real roadblock.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've thought about this too, Suns winning and Warriors losing. Everyone(national media) was on Booker's case about a lot of stuff, why is he getting paid, not winning, etc.
Now the Warriors are in the same spot it seems, I'm not sure they can put it together in time to make a playoff push. I'm loving it, i despise Green and Curry has been annoying to me, while i find Thompson the only likeable player. They spent money on DLo, with DLo looking terrible it might actually be harder to get rid of him. And they also spent money on Thompson, who's not going to play at all this season.

Yeah if the warriors win like 30 games this season, do you think anyone will say steph puts up empty stats?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe you had some water on your knee? Anyway, these injuries are not fun.

Personally I enjoy watching these critters. I quit hunting years ago.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know. I thought Oubre was telling the ref to get some glasses, or something to that effect.

Did you see him squinting and pointing to his eyes?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should quit calling it hunting and just call it watching. The animals are all safe when I am in the woods with a gun.

When I was younger I used to really enjoy hunting but then one day I suddenly asked myself why.

It's a thrilling experience out in the woods. I'm not anti-hunting. I simply think I enjoy watching the animals more than shooting them. I can buy meat at the grocery store.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When I was younger I used to really enjoy hunting but then one day I suddenly asked myself why.

It's a thrilling experience out in the woods. I'm not anti-hunting. I simply think I enjoy watching the animals more than shooting them. I can buy meat at the grocery store.
Love elk meat if I can get it. I am not a trophy hunter. I also love bird hunting but mostly to watch my bird dog do his amazing work.

I have seriously considered dropping the gun for the most part and just taking a camera. No license necessary and I do not have to wait for a specific season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love elk meat if I can get it. I am not a trophy hunter. I also love bird hunting but mostly to watch my bird dog do his amazing work.

I have seriously considered dropping the gun for the most part and just taking a camera. No license necessary and I do not have to wait for a specific season.

I hear elk meat is really good although I have never had it. I've had deer and it is really good.

The one thing I miss most is quail hunting. Those birds can never be eliminated unless someone destroys the habitat which is true of all wild animals. It's development that destroys most of the wildlife.

When I was a kid I ordered a Weimaraner through a magazine but it arrived with distemper and the veterinarian had to put it down. This was very hurtful and I never did that again.

Good luck with your bird dog. I've always wanted to watch a hunting dog work.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something to watch for tonight and into the future. I had never heard of the words "mosh bits." I guess it it is a dance that involves body contact.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
David Locke‏ @Lockedonsports

Hard to overstate the impact Ricky Rubio had on our franchise. We took on his personality when he was with us. He gave us everything he had. What he brings comes from deep inside - Quin Snyder

5:36 PM - 28 Oct 2019

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Who does their commentary, anyone noteworthy? I would imagine they're homers since Utah doesn't have any other professional teams but I wanted to hear another team's broadcast just to hear what they have to say about the Suns. I guess I'll skip that for the Jazz game. I should have listened to the Clippers feed with Billups.
Sorry for the late reply. Their TV guys are Craig Bolerjack and Matt Harpring. It is one of those broadcasting teams where every call against them is terrible and their team is the best invention since sliced bread. The radio guys are just as bad (David Locke and Ron Boone).
What I find hilarious is that they let Rubio walk because he can't shoot (true), but he does assist. They pick up Conley, who can't shoot or pass. At least thus far. So all the talk every game is how long it takes to get comfortable with new teammates. For a month they played this radio promo of "The Jazz finally found their point guard". It was in poor taste.
When Booker hit them for 59 in SLC last year, they hammered it home time and time again (and on the radio for one to two weeks afterwards) that he was a bad player and how much better Mitchell is than him. That he is just out to get stats. As he was hitting over double- and triple-teams all game. That is their insecurity level here....

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both teams turning the ball over to start the game.

Saric with two early fouls. Kaminsky in the game for Saric.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least the refs haven't improved. And can they at least call the obvious grabs by Mitchell on Booker.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baynes (3), Kaminsky (3) and Oubre (2) have all the Suns points.

Suns trail 12-8.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carter, Cam Johnson and Bridges enter the game. Suns are really out of rhythm offensively.