Who Are Some Candidates Available For The Suns GM Position?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I probably will not help this conversation. I don’t see that many GM’s out there.

Hinkie
Demps
Griffin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I doubt it is Griffin

A lot of history between him and the Suns and him and James Jones.

If he was their guy it would have happened long ago.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Hasn’t he been a nightmare at each of his stops?

But that's the problem that most people refuse to acknowledge- Successful coaches and GMs typically don't just sit there available. If there is one who is just sitting there, they are unlikely to join a crappy team. There is this fantasy that the Suns can just go ahead and hire an established, successful GM and Head Coach. If Jones isn't hired, or if Igor is fired, their replacements will be folks like McHale. That's why I laugh when folks want to fire Igor and JJ as if though Greg Popovich and Danny Ainge are just sitting there available, pining for the Suns to hire them.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
But that's the problem that most people refuse to acknowledge- Successful coaches and GMs typically don't just sit there available. If there is one who is just sitting there, they are unlikely to join a crappy team. There is this fantasy that the Suns can just go ahead and hire an established, successful GM and Head Coach. If Jones isn't hired, or if Igor is fired, their replacements will be folks like McHale. That's why I laugh when folks want to fire Igor and JJ as if though Greg Popovich and Danny Ainge are just sitting there available, pining for the Suns to hire them.
Yeah but a rock and a stick is an upgrade over JJ and Igor

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns can't hire Griffin the next best option may be James Jones. I know. I know.

At least he hasn't made any panic moves. Signing Crawford was a decent move and getting a usable player for Ryan Anderson in Tyler Johnson is looking better and better.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

so you laugh at your own imaginary projections? that's weird because no one thinks those guys are coming here. believe it or not, there is a middle ground between the best executives and coaches in the league and the Igor's of the world.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Heard on the radio today they are thinking about hiring Kevin McHale.

How does that hit you?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heard on the radio today they are thinking about hiring Kevin McHale.

How does that hit you?

meh.

I think they really have to do something way outside of just hiring a GM. They need to do what the Clippers did... hire a Jerry West type as godfather and let him help craft the vision of the team and pick a new GM.

And they have a perfect person to do that... that they sadly will NEVER ask. That job has Colangelo written all over him.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
And they have a perfect person to do that... that they sadly will NEVER ask. That job has Colangelo written all over him.

He's 79 years old. I doubt he'd want the job even if it were offered. Anyone who's trying to turn the Suns around has to be up for a long-term commitment.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
meh.

Bryan Colangelo? I heard he was classy guy from someone who worked with him. "A real class act".

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
so you laugh at your own imaginary projections? that's weird because no one thinks those guys are coming here. believe it or not, there is a middle ground between the best executives and coaches in the league and the Igor's of the world.

I laugh because people live in a fantasy world. I laugh because of the reactionary nature of most fans. This team will turn around because of the players, not because of a coach or a GM. If you fire Igor and JJ, you will get the McHale types if you are lucky. There is no savior with a long resume sitting there waiting for the Suns to hire them.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I laugh because people live in a fantasy world. I laugh because of the reactionary nature of most fans. This team will turn around because of the players, not because of a coach or a GM. If you fire Igor and JJ, you will get the McHale types if you are lucky. There is no savior with a long resume sitting there waiting for the Suns to hire them.
C'mon so why have a coach ? We have talented players but probably the most horrific coach in NBA history. We have no GM and JJ doesn't even count c'mon. JJ said before the season he didn't care about wins and losses. That was the stupidest comment ever. You have fans who spend their hard earned money wanting wins not losing. Triano is 5x the coach Igor is. This team needs a decent GM and a coach who has a clue

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I laugh because people live in a fantasy world.

A fantasy world YOU create for them because your argument to maintain course just doesn't fit the reality of the situation.

I laugh because of the reactionary nature of most fans.

Like you used to laugh at people who thought McD was atrocious for years? Really got the last laugh on that one.

This team will turn around because of the players, not because of a coach or a GM.

Players NEED a coach to get BETTER. Literally NONE of our guys have done that compared to last season (Booker/JJ aren't any better) Ayton looks exactly like they did the second he hit the floor in the first game. Bridges... I don't even know what to say. You laud his D, but it didn't take him long to get that point and he's been stuck in the mud offensively all year.

And we need a GM to get and be able to identify BETTER players.

This really isn't hard to understand.

If you fire Igor and JJ, you will get the McHale types if you are lucky. There is no savior with a long resume sitting there waiting for the Suns to hire them.

Only person who lives in a fantasy world is one who believes staying the course with the biggest failures in the history of the team will magically lead to improvement.

truth is, with Sarver captaining the Titanic, throwing darts blindfolded at this point is better than sticking with what they've got now because at least that way, they could luck into something better.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
There is no "magic" about it. Young players get better. ANY GM could identify what they need to add. Hell, Sarver could hire you and I, and I am fairly sure we'd know what we would need to add. The funny part is that there is NOTHING in recent history to suggest the next coach or a GM will be better than the previous once. Replacing Igor and Jones will do nothing, just like replacing Triano and McD did nothing. Let Jones get a damn point guard and a couple of vets, let Igor coach them, let the youngsters develop with some form of continuity.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no "magic" about it. Young players get better. ANY GM could identify what they need to add. Hell, Sarver could hire you and I, and I am fairly sure we'd know what we would need to add. The funny part is that there is NOTHING in recent history to suggest the next coach or a GM will be better than the previous once. Replacing Igor and Jones will do nothing, just like replacing Triano and McD did nothing. Let Jones get a damn point guard and a couple of vets, let Igor coach them, let the youngsters develop with some form of continuity.

I really don't know if keeping Koko is the right idea but firing him just seems like the wrong move. We are bottom of the barrel when it comes to continuity in every just about every area (Sarver notwithstanding). Unless we are absolutely convinced that Koko cannot do the job and that we have a much better candidate available, I'm in favor of staying with Koko and probably for another season.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really don't know if keeping Koko is the right idea but firing him just seems like the wrong move. We are bottom of the barrel when it comes to continuity in every just about every area (Sarver notwithstanding). Unless we are absolutely convinced that Koko cannot do the job and that we have a much better candidate available, I'm in favor of staying with Koko and probably for another season.
I was absolutely convinced just after thanksgiving.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How about this pretend your a fan of any other team in the NBA what coach are you replacing and hoping Igor is your coach ....I guarantee not one

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
meh.

I think they really have to do something way outside of just hiring a GM. They need to do what the Clippers did... hire a Jerry West type as godfather and let him help craft the vision of the team and pick a new GM.

Yup this ran through my mind this morning brainstorming on this.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was absolutely convinced just after thanksgiving.

If this comes across as condescension it isn't intended but for me, your comments about how talented this team is suggests to me that you don't watch a lot of NBA. We have players with potential but every team has that. IMO there are only 2, maybe 3, teams that are as devoid of NBA ready talent as we are. I was hoping for more growth from the players and that may well be on Koko but those of you that went off on Koko back in October and November weren't judging him on a lack of player development. You were pissed for many reasons but most of them could be explained away by our youth and overall lack of game ready NBA talent. So, for those that actually believe we have a lot of NBA ready talent, there is no real meeting ground for agreement on Koko's performance with those of us on the other side.