The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
At that point people would just play the “Well, hindsight is 20/20” game.

Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that and Ayton lives up to his potential by then.

"by then"

This type of BS just triggers me.

Ayton is putting up 1~17/11/2/1 and a TS% of over 60. For all intents and purposes he is putting up better numbers than Doncic, has more winshares and a better net rating and does not have 2 years of pro experience.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"by then"

This type of BS just triggers me.

Ayton is putting up 1~17/11/2/1 and a TS% of over 60. For all intents and purposes he is putting up better numbers than Doncic, has more winshares and a better net rating and does not have 2 years of pro experience.
Ha. I agree with Slin on something. Ayton get's nitpicked a LOT. I don't see people complaining about Doncic's defense or rim protection, or steals, etc. I am not trying to knock Doncic, just that Ayton is nitpicked.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I agree with both JC and Slin. The critiques of Ayton have been preposterous, and a good portion of that has come from the Doncic hyperbole cult. Ayton has areas where he needs improvement, no doubt. But the narrative that the Suns "blew it" by not taking Doncic is foolish and idiotic.

Doncic is having a nice rookie year, without question, and has certainly proven that he would have been a worthy second pick in the draft and will likely have a solid NBA career, assuming nothing goes wrong. The hyperbole that he is some spectacular, out of this world talent - another Larry, Magic, MJ, Lebron, etc. - is nitwitted. He's a nice player, but he is NOT changing the course of NBA history. It is that out-of-hand nonsense - and being labeled a "hater" because of not buying into it - that irritates me about Doncic and his fan base.

I know there aren't a lot of those irritating Doncic fanatics here, but they are out there on some of the other less discriminating forums... and not to mention the idiots in major sports media outlets, who of course never pass up a chance to hype anything that fits their agenda.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree with both JC and Slin. The critiques of Ayton have been preposterous, and a good portion of that has come from the Doncic hyperbole cult. Ayton has areas where he needs improvement, no doubt. But the narrative that the Suns "blew it" by not taking Doncic is foolish and idiotic.

Doncic is having a nice rookie year, without question, and has certainly proven that he would have been a worthy second pick in the draft and will likely have a solid NBA career, assuming nothing goes wrong. The hyperbole that he is some spectacular, out of this world talent - another Larry, Magic, MJ, Lebron, etc. - is nitwitted. He's a nice player, but he is NOT changing the course of NBA history. It is that out-of-hand nonsense - and being labeled a "hater" because of not buying into it - that irritates me about Doncic and his fan base.

I know there aren't a lot of those irritating Doncic fanatics here, but they are out there on some of the other less discriminating forums... and not to mention the idiots in major sports media outlets, who of course never pass up a chance to hype anything that fits their agenda.
I gotta tell you, you seem to downgrade Doncic to an extent equal to those you purport to hate for overly amplifying him. I was, and remain, an Ayton fan. Have never wavered on that. But unlike you I don’t see it as Ayton verses Doncic. I look at them individually. Word choice like “nice” rookie year is preposterous. I get the impression that you’re jealous of the attention Doncic gets in lieu of Ayton. I find that a bit silly.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I gotta tell you, you seem to downgrade Doncic to an extent equal to those you purport to hate for overly amplifying him. I was, and remain, an Ayton fan. Have never wavered on that. But unlike you I don’t see it as Ayton verses Doncic. I look at them individually. Word choice like “nice” rookie year is preposterous. I get the impression that you’re jealous of the attention Doncic gets in lieu of Ayton. I find that a bit silly.

Seriously? Insert eyeroll here...

Doncic isn't having some kind of "magical/transcendent" rookie year... he is having a "nice" rookie year. Nothing preposterous about that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Doncic isn't having some kind of "magical/transcendent" rookie year... he is having a "nice" rookie year. Nothing preposterous about that.

I cringe a little on both of those descriptions. I agree he isn't having a transcendent rookie season but Ayton is having a nice rookie year and I'd say Doncic is having more impact than Deandre. To me, Luka is having an excellent rookie season and easily one of the best during the one and done era.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Has a chance to be only the 3rd rookie selected for the All Star game in the last 20 years.

He’s having a pretty special year and it’s pointless to argue otherwise.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Has a chance to be only the 3rd rookie selected for the All Star game in the last 20 years.

My cats watch more basketball than Chuck does and they share an almost equal understanding of the differences in today's game from Barkley's era. That said, I'm quite sure Luka will be on the All Star team thanks in large part to his international fanbase. But does he deserve to be on it? I'm not sure but I think it's close enough to argue in favor of it. It's certainly not like when Yao made it while rehabbing all season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

ok.

Can we move on now please?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My cats watch more basketball than Chuck does and they share an almost equal understanding of the differences in today's game from Barkley's era. That said, I'm quite sure Luka will be on the All Star team thanks in large part to his international fanbase. But does he deserve to be on it? I'm not sure but I think it's close enough to argue in favor of it. It's certainly not like when Yao made it while rehabbing all season.
It’s not just Chuck, Steve Kerr, Steph Curry, Jimmy Butler etc have all said the same thing and each of those guys watch more basketball than me, you and your cats combined I’m sure :)

I think he deserves it based on merit but because it’s in the West, it’s incredibly tough as there would certainly be snubs either way.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Correct. But it ISN'T the Luka Doncic thread, which is really what everyone, especially you, are talking about.
Luka Doncic is a player for a different team. This is the appropriate thread for it.

If you have a problem with it, there’s other threads that aren’t “Around the NBA” for ya to browse.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Luka Doncic is a player for a different team. This is the appropriate thread for it.

If you have a problem with it, there’s other threads that aren’t “Around the NBA” for ya to browse.
I don't think it's unreasonable to come to an "around the NBA" thread and expect more about the NBA than just you arguing about how great Luka Doncic is.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The Mavs are 5-11 over the last 16

The Suns are 7-9 which includes a double OT loss at Washington, a loss on a back to back road game following the double OT at Brooklyn, a last second loss against Denver where Murray went unconscious, a loss against Golden State, a loss against OKC and a loss on a Kemba game winner...

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think it's unreasonable to come to an "around the NBA" thread and expect more about the NBA than just you arguing about how great Luka Doncic is.
I can talk about any NBA player I want as I see fit in an “Around the NBA” thread.

There is no reason to be insecure about it just because seemingly everyone outside the state of Arizona are fans of Doncic’s game. Suns fans certainly shouldn’t be because Ayton is having a pretty good season thus far as well averaging 17/11 as a rookie big.

If we had taken like Bamba or something and got that type of production then I could understand the bitterness.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

he's putting up numbers that only MJ and Oscar Robertson did in their rookie seasons... while instantly putting the Mavs in the playoff picture for the first time in years.

to say that's merely a "nice" rookie season is ludicrous and that's coming from a guy who wasn't on the Doncic bandwagon.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I can talk about any NBA player I want as I see fit in an “Around the NBA” thread.

There is no reason to be insecure about it just because seemingly everyone outside the state of Arizona are fans of Doncic’s game. Suns fans certainly shouldn’t be because Ayton is having a pretty good season thus far as well averaging 17/11 as a rookie big.

If we had taken like Bamba or something and got that type of production then I could understand the bitterness.
What? Can you point out who on this board or any Suns fan thinks Doncic ISN'T good simply because they think that Ayton is suffering because of that?

Doncic is good. Ok. What else is there to talk about?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey. Want to have a real argument? Will Zion be better than Doncic?

I vote yes.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
he's putting up numbers that only MJ and Oscar Robertson did in their rookie seasons... while instantly putting the Mavs in the playoff picture for the first time in years.

to say that's merely a "nice" rookie season is ludicrous and that's coming from a guy who wasn't on the Doncic bandwagon.
The mavs are not in the playoff picture lol

They had an easy schedule and are 5-11 over their last 16, worse than the Suns.

And by the same logic Ayton is putting up numbers that no rookie has.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The mavs are not in the playoff picture lol

They had an easy schedule and are 5-11 over their last 16, worse than the Suns.

And by the same logic Ayton is putting up numbers that no rookie has.
To be fair, I don't think Cheese is minimizing Ayton by saying Doncic is good. Most of us aren't.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, this is the "Around the NBA" thread and while Luka is on another team he also has a number of other threads on the main page here, why is that? Is it really necessary to gush over him in every thread possible? Why did the lovefest get moved here, were there not enough people participating in the other Luka specific threads? I don't get it. Why is there so much talk about him? Is he having a good season? Sure, he'll probably win rookie of the year and that's great for him but it doesn't really matter since the Suns didn't select him and this is a Suns board. So how many threads need to be dedicated to a player on another team that's only been in the league for 3 months?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
To be fair, I don't think Cheese is minimizing Ayton by saying Doncic is good. Most of us aren't.
Right? Ayton’s name wasn’t even in cheese’s post. What the hell is wrong with people?!? Doncic and Ayton aren’t symbiotically attached. You can discuss one without even thinking about the other. It’s possible!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort