The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There’s only a handful of players who have green light from their coaches to keep shooting if their shot is completely off like that. Harden’s one, Curry and Klay would be two others...Lillard, George, Durant, Westbrook, Kemba and probably very few others.
Booker is probably one.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure but in this day and age for a perimeter player to go 1 for 17 from 3 and still manage to score 38 points is kind of impressive and pretty damned rare I'd say.
Lots of help from the refs I would assume.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I remember in the pre draft process many who were against drafting Doncic in another Suns forum firmly said Doncic is much worse than Booker defensively and used that as the reason to pass on him. One poster from here also said something similar. I always thought that was odd because he didn’t show anything in the, granted limited, games of his I saw in Europe.

He’s already better defensively than Booker has ever been in any of Book’s years in the league. But that itself isn’t much of an accomplishment because Booker is one of the worst 5 defensive players at his position. Still, I’d say Luka’s close to almost average on that end.
I would have been glad to have Doncic at the #2 spot in the draft. His defense seemed fairly average to me. My concern was his shooting percentage, especially three point, that was declining year by year and in the season too. I felt he was a very accomplished player for his age, but sometimes prodigies are just people who peak earlier. That still might be the case with Doncic, but what he is right now is not bad at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns would have been hard pressed to pass on a center at #1 especially since most mocks had Ayton listed there.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The Suns would have been hard pressed to pass on a center at #1 especially since most mocks had Ayton listed there.
Even the Doncic fans on this site (myself included) thought Ayton was the right pick and I know I still think he was. The key is to not get too caught up in what these guys are doing as rookies and understand that they will likely change a lot from now to the time they hit their respective prime's. If in 3-5 years from now Luka is the much better player than we can play the shoulda/coulda game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Still 100% on board with Ayton as #1, but I am also 100% on board with Luka as #2 just behind him. There really is no other rookie in my eye that compares with the two of them.

I know many people outside of Phoenix would say that Ayton isn't worth Luka at this point, but it is what it is.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clint Capela reportedly out 4-6 weeks.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the above article:

The Rockets -- already without All-Star point guard Chris Paul and guard Eric Gordon because of injuries --- will struggle to replace Capela's productivity in the lineup. James Harden's historic offensive run had lifted the Rockets to sixth in the Western Conference with a 24-18 record.

Capela was playing outstanding basketball before suffering the injury while getting hit on a lob play during Sunday night's loss to Orlando. Capela is averaging 17.6 points, 12.6 rebounds and nearly two blocks a game. He signed a five-year, $80 million contract extension this summer.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25761296/houston-rockets-clint-capela-4-6-weeks-thumb-injury

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wonder if this makes Chriss their starting C now.

If so, Harden’s really about to earn every bit of that $228 million dollar contract.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even the Doncic fans on this site (myself included) thought Ayton was the right pick and I know I still think he was. The key is to not get too caught up in what these guys are doing as rookies and understand that they will likely change a lot from now to the time they hit their respective prime's. If in 3-5 years from now Luka is the much better player than we can play the shoulda/coulda game.

I'm good with the Ayton selection. We all knew Doncic was more ready to play than Ayton coming into the draft. Centers tend to develop more slowly.

Taking nothing away from Doncic, I think Ayton will close the gap over the next several years.

Here are their stats thus far.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/aytonde01.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/doncilu01.html

Another thought, I thought Donovan Mitchell would take another step after his rookie season. So far he has not. I'm thinking he will still become an elite player but it's always good to see how players advance in their sophomore seasons.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
At that point people would just play the “Well, hindsight is 20/20” game.

Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that and Ayton lives up to his potential by then.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most Mocks are based on scouting reports.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ehhhh not with you on that either. Particularly the “most” part.
Mocks are generally useless. There is very little to distinguish a mock on a website from someone here posting their top 10. Only difference is in theory that the writer might have more experience watching the player. But a majority of them aren't professional scouts and a lot of them are basing their whole rankings from Youtube videos that are almost always an unrealistic look a the player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN Draft Express, NBA Draft Net and even Tankathon are pretty reliable indicators where players stand in the draft and even more so as the draft nears.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
ESPN Draft Express, NBA Draft Net and even Tankathon are pretty reliable indicators where players stand in the draft and even more so as the draft nears.
Might I remind you that you said “most mocks” - words matter.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not to mention, why should it matter to a team what mocks say? I someone drafted Giannis first the mocks would have all “mocked” the GM. And mocks would (and were) wrong. And so I shall mock you (all in good fun) a second time!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some players that are now trade eligible.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard