Excited for Leftwich

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
he's a first time OC after a year of being a QB coach. I expect next to nothing. That's not because I don't like Lefty. there's just no reason to get excited beyond the obvious "at least he's not McCoy!"

Great post. Everyone needs to have proper expectations. Nothing may improve in the short term. Change had to happen but this doesn't salvage the season it merely postpones the inevitable house cleaning at seasons end.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Well I didn't think he was forced on management. :) But, that isn't really a selling point considering what management went out and got. I'm sure Wilks and McCoy are relatively smart but that doesn't really mean anything.

Hopefully you're right and BL's a prodigy but that he was hired by this staff and "known" as smart isn't quite enough to go on.
he wasnt hired by "This staff"...Keim and Mike kept him from the previous staff.
that indicates they see something that they like.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
he wasnt hired by "This staff"...Keim and Mike kept him from the previous staff.
that indicates they see something that they like.
??? Keim and Mike are the one's who hired Wilks and McCoy!!! If that isn't an indictment against this staff then I don't know what is.

When I said "staff" I meant anyone involved in hiring decisions, not just "coaching" staff.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Pfffft the air goes out of my ball. Nothing against Byron - but really the only real experienced nfl hc just got fired - and this staff has nobody to turn to - I mean Keim is coming out fighting because he sucks at hiring a staff that can compete with the likes of belicheck- or even I feel like a damn Fool for ever hoping to hope because of player talent. Bradford would improve any team in the NFL as back up or starter - except ours ???? Ha ha - ha ha ha ha ha - ha ha - ok I’m back - we’re going to run the ball ha ha - ha ha ha ha ha - ha ha -

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Let's keep the expectations to a minimum.

Zero is what I would suggest staying at with this franchise, it's all downhill from there.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
"but really the only real experienced nfl hc just got fired - and this staff has nobody toturn to -"

This right here tells me that "experience" can be really over rated at times.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The playbook isn't changing. Terminology is not changing. What changes are expectations and practice and film and how players are used. My guess is that you will see a little more flexibility. Everybody a little more buttoned up. Rosen having much more of a say in what he wants to do and who he wants to get the ball to.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I appreciate that you're particular about your excitement. I didn't realize Leftwich had ever called plays so if there's actually something to go on, even though he's young and an unknown, I hope you're right.

I wasn't much of a fan of his as a player so it's hard for me to disassociate that feeling right now. I don't really know anything about him as a potential OC other than what he's done as part of the mess this year. For me, he was never a fundamentals type of guy as a player so as a QB coach, I don't know what he's been teaching the Cardinals QB's. I know Bradford has regressed and Rosen isn't blossoming so I have a hard time being excited about the guy who's been their coach. It may not be BL's fault but I can't separate out what he's been doing from what McCoy was doing.

I think it was last year BA gave Leftwich the OC reigns for one game and he did ok.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I think at 1 and 6 you can put away any hopes of the playoffs. It'd take something heroic and optimistic to want more than that. If he comes in and does great I guess i'll be happy drafting lower but the worst thing would be moderate improvement, enough to win say two games, cost us the number one pick, only later on to sink into utter irrelevance.

Which is why this is my prediction for exactly what will happen.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Sadly I don’t expect much success. With the offensive personnel despately short of impact players I’d be astonished if any OC could make a difference.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think at 1 and 6 you can put away any hopes of the playoffs. It'd take something heroic and optimistic to want more than that. If he comes in and does great I guess i'll be happy drafting lower but the worst thing would be moderate improvement, enough to win say two games, cost us the number one pick, only later on to sink into utter irrelevance.

Which is why this is my prediction for exactly what will happen.
High picks are nice but watching Competant, fun football is always my goal

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sadly I don’t expect much success. With the offensive personnel despately short of impact players I’d be astonished if any OC could make a difference.

I don't think you realize how low the bar is- if we get 350 yards average of offense, this move is a resounding success

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
High picks are nice but watching Competant, fun football is always my goal

Me too which is why I keep watching despite all evidence to the contrary that some day we will have our Patriots run or something like that.

I'm not knowledgeable about all fanbases but this fanbase is as due as any in my book for that.

I keep hoping one day a great leader will rise up out of the NFL and deliver us from this mess, I thought Whis had us there, he almost did, and then as if on cue, you cut to LF face going NO NO NO and the rest is history.

I kid about curses but this team is literally unreal, it really is, it's like a comedic sit com meets reality tv meets ESPN or something. It is highly entertaining if for no other reason than the heights and depths of human drama it can manifest.

Think about DG and the whole "They are who we thought the were" thing, think about ML rolling up his limo window on Whis, think about Jake getting his finger near bent off and jacking up his year.

A punter / QB?

Even way back you had Roy Green a DB turned all pro WR, you just do not see these things with other teams it's as if this team exists in some alternate reality.

It would be boring if we were never good, so once in a while we are good, but never quite good enough and never for any length of time and never because people are just that much better than the league it's like a luck train shows up and we ride it for a while all the while knowing it's never going to end in a Lombardi.

So competence, oh boy howdy, you may have come to the wrong team for that my friend. Enterainment sure, but competence has never been our strong suit.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me too which is why I keep watching despite all evidence to the contrary that some day we will have our Patriots run or something like that.

I'm not knowledgeable about all fanbases but this fanbase is as due as any in my book for that.

I keep hoping one day a great leader will rise up out of the NFL and deliver us from this mess, I thought Whis had us there, he almost did, and then as if on cue, you cut to LF face going NO NO NO and the rest is history.

I kid about curses but this team is literally unreal, it really is, it's like a comedic sit com meets reality tv meets ESPN or something. It is highly entertaining if for no other reason than the heights and depths of human drama it can manifest.

Think about DG and the whole "They are who we thought the were" thing, think about ML rolling up his limo window on Whis, think about Jake getting his finger near bent off and jacking up his year.

A punter / QB?

Even way back you had Roy Green a DB turned all pro WR, you just do not see these things with other teams it's as if this team exists in some alternate reality.

It would be boring if we were never good, so once in a while we are good, but never quite good enough and never for any length of time and never because people are just that much better than the league it's like a luck train shows up and we ride it for a while all the while knowing it's never going to end in a Lombardi.

So competence, oh boy howdy, you may have come to the wrong team for that my friend. Enterainment sure, but competence has never been our strong suit.
I agree but I'd say two of the warner years and one or two of Palmer's years were amazing and well worth the rest of the crap

Rosen will get us there.... Right?

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I agree but I'd say two of the warner years and one or two of Palmer's years were amazing and well worth the rest of the crap

Rosen will get us there.... Right?

That would be awesome.

I want like at least four SB that would be a nice round number, not going to get greedier than that, will take just one, but 4 would be nice.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be awesome.

I want like at least four SB that would be a nice round number, not going to get greedier than that, will take just one, but 4 would be nice.
Hell, I just want to make the playoffs at least 33% of the time. If we could at least be a common playoff team, anything is possible

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Others have mentioned it but it would be intriguing to see if Leftwich doesn't pan out, hiring Jedd Fisch as OC next year. Fisch was on the UCLA staff last year with Rosen and they seemed to mesh well, after Mora got canned he was interim HC which was good experience for him too. He has a long career in the NFL, often working with QB's. He's on the Rams staff now and has known McVay for years. So you not only potentially get a good OC, you weaken the Rams.

I'm hoping Leftwich pans out but honestly if he does, it's just more fuel to the fire Wilks movement, if he had his best OC coaching the Qb's and had a lousy coach as the OC, he's not very good at recognizing what's in front of him and just went off experience.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
We have Bradford to act as a QB coach for over $15 million - that screams the Cards are investing heavily in Rosen to me :)

If Bradford has any integrity he will step up and become a de facto QB coach and won’t whine about being inactive

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
If Bradford has any integrity he will step up and become a de facto QB coach and won’t whine about being inactive
Would you really want a QB who's okay with being a backup/inactive? They may be delusional at times but a QB has to believe he's the starter and want to be out on the field regardless of circumstances. The second he's lost that, you've got Kerry Collins.

It's one thing to be happy to be there because you haven't got the same size and skill but it's another to just not care if you're the starter.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard