Excited for Leftwich

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Bradford ship sailed already. You ride Rosen until he gets injured and make him take his lumps. End of the year you decide if you need to draft another QB.
My God, why do people keep thinking this?

You don’t do this literally right after his rookie seasons sans a critical injury.

Absolutely mind-boggling.

ReasonableMan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

You don’t do this literally right after his rookie seasons sans a critical injury.

A critical injury would be part of deciding to draft a new QB no?

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Seasons over. BL is just getting a test drive as the interim OC. If he works out the rest of the season he might stay if not, new OC coming in?
Well, not to be too negative in what is supposed to be a relatively positive development but this whole situation, right now, boils down to the Cardinals promoting from within. They aren't making a bold move to fix things, they're just sacrificing one of their own and the rest of them keeping their jobs.

If BL had been on the streets or a QB coach somewhere else and they went out and got him and promoted him to OC, that would be far different. That, to me, would speak to his up and coming potential. That he wasn't picked up by anyone else and kept by this regime makes me doubt his credentials. It doesn't dismiss them completely but I've definitely got to see some proof first.

If he's the 2nd coming of Bruce Arians, kudos to the Cardinals. If he's BA and then some, even better. Those are some big "if's". Settling for better than McCoy is what I worry about. There literally isn't a bar to rise above. Anyone with a pulse will be better than McCoy but this is still the regime that somehow didn't know that already.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure there will be any quick fixes.

I'm not sure if our coaches even know what the problems are, let alone their causes.

For example: Are our linemen tipping off plays? (It sure seems as if our defensive guys are being suckered; where by comparison, their guys know what the next play will be. Why is that?

I also wonder why our runners run into their tacklers and the play stops cold, but when their runners run into our tacklers, they always bounce off. Is it technique? Is it want-to? Is it lack of talent?

Maybe it's a sweeping generalization, but, despite coach Wilk's focus on "playing smart" we seem to "play dumb" more often than not. (Why?)

This team looks really really bad. I'm afraid we're in for a long draught.

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again...I am only saying go back to Bradford if Rosen continues to struggle. There is no need to rush Rosen IMO. Also, again....if this new offense doesn't produce results bench him permanently.

If u bench him now u will lose him and need to find a new qb

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score

I don't subscribe to it myself but there is a relatively valid theory that says you keep drafting QB's until you hit on one. I don't think they are saying replace Rosen next year but if he just doesn't get it and looks bad along the way, drafting a QB wouldn't be out of the question. Look at Paxton Lynch and the Broncos. It sucks, but it happens. I don't see those types of struggles from Rosen but I don't blame those who look at the numbers and have their concerns.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not sure what Letfwich can do when Wilkes still has final say at the end of day. Especially with Leftwich is 1st time OC & one of the younger staff members. I dont see him been able to push back on Wilkes unless Bidwill told him not to go anywhere near offense.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I appreciate that you're particular about your excitement. I didn't realize Leftwich had ever called plays so if there's actually something to go on, even though he's young and an unknown, I hope you're right.

I wasn't much of a fan of his as a player so it's hard for me to disassociate that feeling right now. I don't really know anything about him as a potential OC other than what he's done as part of the mess this year. For me, he was never a fundamentals type of guy as a player so as a QB coach, I don't know what he's been teaching the Cardinals QB's. I know Bradford has regressed and Rosen isn't blossoming so I have a hard time being excited about the guy who's been their coach. It may not be BL's fault but I can't separate out what he's been doing from what McCoy was doing.
I feel the same very average player who I didn't like. Wasn't impressed he was on our staff. Only thing that gives me a tingle is he's an Arians guy

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Please stop grading Rosen on the debacle of an offensive scheme. I ACCEPT him making mistakes because he’s a rookie. But we’re asking this kid to shovel **** with a teaspoon.
And, because it's the internet, let's have a long debate about whether the spoon is sliver or steel. ;)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what Letfwich can do when Wilkes still has final say at the end of day. Especially with Leftwich is 1st time OC & one of the younger staff members. I dont see him been able to push back on Wilkes unless Bidwill told him not to go anywhere near offense.

Great point. And hopefully that is part of the equation.

And if Wilks signed off on the 4th down play, he should be banned from any input on the offense

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I have seen nothing that would suggest that Wilkes had any control over the offensive playcalling. Obviously he has control over game decisions, like going for it on 4th down. From what I can tell we simply were seeing terrible play calling from McCoy and that is only highlighted by the lack of overall talent on the field.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate that you're particular about your excitement. I didn't realize Leftwich had ever called plays so if there's actually something to go on, even though he's young and an unknown, I hope you're right.

I wasn't much of a fan of his as a player so it's hard for me to disassociate that feeling right now. I don't really know anything about him as a potential OC other than what he's done as part of the mess this year. For me, he was never a fundamentals type of guy as a player so as a QB coach, I don't know what he's been teaching the Cardinals QB's. I know Bradford has regressed and Rosen isn't blossoming so I have a hard time being excited about the guy who's been their coach. It may not be BL's fault but I can't separate out what he's been doing from what McCoy was doing.

Playing ability and coaching ability aren't connected.

Bradford Regressed? He was the same ol Bradford.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen nothing that would suggest that Wilkes had any control over the offensive playcalling. Obviously he has control over game decisions, like going for it on 4th down. From what I can tell we simply were seeing terrible play calling from McCoy and that is only highlighted by the lack of overall talent on the field.

Incorrect - Wilks has stated in the past he does and makes calls in critical situations.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I feel the same very average player who I didn't like. Wasn't impressed he was on our staff. Only thing that gives me a tingle is he's an Arians guy
But what is that based on? Wasn't BL a player with BA for the Steelers? Seems just as likely it was familiarity more than ability. While Leftwich was a former QB, which could be a good thing, I don't put him in that same category as guys like Sean Payton, the Grudens, McVay, Reich, etc. Those were also all former QB's but all of them were over achievers. They didn't have the talent to play at the NFL level but they still fought there way toward that goal. BL is what I don't usually like from athletes. A guy with all the physical gifts in the world who doesn't succeed with them.

He did alright I suppose and maybe injuries played a bigger part in his shortcomings than I'm giving credit for but I'm still skeptical.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm optimistic. Leftwich is really energetic and upbeat on the sidelines. He's a former QB and young enough to know how the league works nowadays. Plus he has years of tutelage under BA in Pittsburgh and AZ. He has to be better than McCoy.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
But what is that based on? Wasn't BL a player with BA for the Steelers? Seems just as likely it was familiarity more than ability. While Leftwich was a former QB, which could be a good thing, I don't put him in that same category as guys like Sean Payton, the Grudens, McVay, Reich, etc. Those were also all former QB's but all of them were over achievers. They didn't have the talent to play at the NFL level but they still fought there way toward that goal. BL is what I don't usually like from athletes. A guy with all the physical gifts in the world who doesn't succeed with them.

He did alright I suppose and maybe injuries played a bigger part in his shortcomings than I'm giving credit for but I'm still skeptical.
I'm extremely skeptical ....I have been saying be careful what you wish for cause you may be getting it.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I don't subscribe to it myself but there is a relatively valid theory that says you keep drafting QB's until you hit on one. I don't think they are saying replace Rosen next year but if he just doesn't get it and looks bad along the way, drafting a QB wouldn't be out of the question. Look at Paxton Lynch and the Broncos. It sucks, but it happens. I don't see those types of struggles from Rosen but I don't blame those who look at the numbers and have their concerns.

You know I used to think you should bring someone along slower, and I still do, check out Mahomes, he didn't start his first year until the last game.

He is WAY better than Josh.

Why wouldn't we want THAT on our team? We obviously would and if that comes up again then take it and let them sort it out.