Excited for Leftwich

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he is new and inexperienced but I liked his playcalling in the games he called and he was here for the good year for DJ. I imagine DJ will now be playing more at wideout, running outside of the line instead of up the gut and more. I am now excited for the next game! Leftwich has half a season to show he has the goods!

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
he is new and inexperienced but I liked his playcalling in the games he called and he was here for the good year for DJ. I imagine DJ will now be playing more at wideout, running outside of the line instead of up the gut and more. I am now excited for the next game! Leftwich has half a season to show he has the goods!
I appreciate that you're particular about your excitement. I didn't realize Leftwich had ever called plays so if there's actually something to go on, even though he's young and an unknown, I hope you're right.

I wasn't much of a fan of his as a player so it's hard for me to disassociate that feeling right now. I don't really know anything about him as a potential OC other than what he's done as part of the mess this year. For me, he was never a fundamentals type of guy as a player so as a QB coach, I don't know what he's been teaching the Cardinals QB's. I know Bradford has regressed and Rosen isn't blossoming so I have a hard time being excited about the guy who's been their coach. It may not be BL's fault but I can't separate out what he's been doing from what McCoy was doing.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont know, rosen since his first start regressed

The entire offense did. Honestly, when Bradford was benched it was like oh, maybe that's the problem. it wasn't. it was McCoy. Bradford might still be playing with competent playcalling. DJ need to be playing some WR, swing passes, sweeps, counters.....running up the gut should be 20-40%, not 60%. We'll see what happens.

Even this last game, for one Rosen had no blocking but for two, the first two picks were a tip and JJ nelson quitting on a route. His final pick was desperation. I have no concern for Rosen.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I appreciate that you're particular about your excitement. I didn't realize Leftwich had ever called plays so if there's actually something to go on, even though he's young and an unknown, I hope you're right.

I wasn't much of a fan of his as a player so it's hard for me to disassociate that feeling right now. I don't really know anything about him as a potential OC other than what he's done as part of the mess this year. For me, he was never a fundamentals type of guy as a player so as a QB coach, I don't know what he's been teaching the Cardinals QB's. I know Bradford has regressed and Rosen isn't blossoming so I have a hard time being excited about the guy who's been their coach. It may not be BL's fault but I can't separate out what he's been doing from what McCoy was doing.
I think he called a game in each of the last 2 preseasons.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

he called plays in preseason under BA a few times and in those games, I liked the playcalling.

When I think of leftwich I think of him ona broken ankle being carried up the field, snapping the ball and throwing passes in college. dude has heart.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The entire offense did. Honestly, when Bradford was benched it was like oh, maybe that's the problem. it wasn't. it was McCoy. Bradford might still be playing with competent playcalling. DJ need to be playing some WR, swing passes, sweeps, counters.....running up the gut should be 20-40%, not 60%. We'll see what happens.

Even this last game, for one Rosen had no blocking but for two, the first two picks were a tip and JJ nelson quitting on a route. His final pick was desperation. I have no concern for Rosen.

yes u right but i saw him still making those high throws , are 3 weeks ina row he does the same, hasnt be coached to correct it?

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Can't be any worse than Mr. 1 & 12.

I hope there are some puckered up ******** after what we have been subjected to. Inexcusable.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score

I'm sure everyone is equally as excited for "change" but the reality is that is likely a case of any port in a storm. For me, I question how the players will react to BL being elevated? Will he have authority and respect? I kind of doubt it.

On the one hand, being a former player will carry weight but the fact that he survived a regime change does not indicate to me that he is a guy who is a threat to steal coaching jobs. He was a safe "keep" from McCoy and Wilks who were both bad coaches. Guys who don't want to be threatened.

I know, that's a lot of mind reading but if you're coming into a team and you have a whole new scheme, new HC, new OC and 3 new QB's, what benefit is there to keeping Arians' QB coach? I'm sincerely asking because it seems pretty wonky to me.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not advocating at all to go back to Bradford. However, you have to wonder if the system and play calling impacted what Bradford can do. I was all for benching him but if BL can open up the offense I wonder what that could do for Bradford let alone Rosen.

I think if Rosen struggles you go back to Bradford to see what he can to under BL. If that doesn't work out, you bench him permanently.

Either way, here is to hoping we can do much better on offense.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone is equally as excited for "change" but the reality is that is likely a case of any port in a storm. For me, I question how the players will react to BL being elevated? Will he have authority and respect? I kind of doubt it.

On the one hand, being a former player will carry weight but the fact that he survived a regime change does not indicate to me that he is a guy who is a threat to steal coaching jobs. He was a safe "keep" from McCoy and Wilks who were both bad coaches. Guys who don't want to be threatened.

I know, that's a lot of mind reading but if you're coming into a team and you have a whole new scheme, new HC, new OC and 3 new QB's, what benefit is there to keeping Arians' QB coach? I'm sincerely asking because it seems pretty wonky to me.

I am assuming the simple explanation. They interviewed him and thought he was good so they kept him.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not advocating at all to go back to Bradford. However, you have to wonder if the system and play calling impacted what Bradford can do. I was all for benching him but if BL can open up the offense I wonder what that could do for Bradford let alone Rosen.

I think if Rosen struggles you go back to Bradford to see what he can to under BL. If that doesn't work out, you bench him permanently.

IMO the 75 yard bomb to kirk alone says we should keep Rosen in the game.

ReasonableMan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

The Bradford ship sailed already. You ride Rosen until he gets injured and make him take his lumps. End of the year you decide if you need to draft another QB.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way I am calling it now. If this team continues to play as is. We will have a new HC at the start of next season. This won't be let's see what he can do next season scenario.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score

You go back to making Bradford second fiddle.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again...I am only saying go back to Bradford if Rosen continues to struggle. There is no need to rush Rosen IMO. Also, again....if this new offense doesn't produce results bench him permanently.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leftwich has to be an improvement over McCoy, however, I will reserve my opinion for now. It would be great to see him succeed as an offensive coordinator.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I am assuming the simple explanation. They interviewed him and thought he was good so they kept him.
QB coaches aren't equipment managers though and to me, the decision is cause for questioning this regime. Why McCoy didn't have "his" guy and took on the last OC's coach is questionable to me. I would understand if there was some continuity issue they were going for but for BL to not get picked up anywhere else on top of the new regime adopting him from the old regime just raises a red flag for me in general and makes me doubt his potential as an OC in particular.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
The Bradford ship sailed already. You ride Rosen until he gets injured and make him take his lumps. End of the year you decide if you need to draft another QB.
I would rather see Bradford playing for personal reasons but I agree. There's a long list of bad reasons to go back to Bradford. As Warner has often said, whoever you pick as your starting QB, you have to stick with him. A QB can't play with a shadow looming over him. Rosen is the future and pulling him in and out of the lineup isn't the way to develop him.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
By the way I am calling it now. If this team continues to play as is. We will have a new HC at the start of next season. This won't be let's see what he can do next season scenario.
Yeah, he doesn't have a Hugh Jackson leash...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
QB coaches aren't equipment managers though and to me, the decision is cause for questioning this regime. Why McCoy didn't have "his" guy and took on the last OC's coach is questionable to me. I would understand if there was some continuity issue they were going for but for BL to not get picked up anywhere else on top of the new regime adopting him from the old regime just raises a red flag for me in general and makes me doubt his potential as an OC in particular.
Seasons over. BL is just getting a test drive as the interim OC. If he works out the rest of the season he might stay if not, new OC coming in?