Excited for Leftwich

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I'm extremely skeptical ....I have been saying be careful what you wish for cause you may be getting it.

Yeah there is something called bring the backup in it can't hurt which is of course a myth, a total myth. Sometimes it's true but mostly, um no.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Let's not overlook that Leftwich is inheriting McCoy's offense. It will take an off season to transition to a new offense.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
You know I used to think you should bring someone along slower, and I still do, check out Mahomes, he didn't start his first year until the last game.

He is WAY better than Josh.

Why wouldn't we want THAT on our team? We obviously would and if that comes up again then take it and let them sort it out.
I don't actually agree. Mahommes has a strong arm and is a great off-script athlete but I think Rosen is a better QB. Put him in KC with Reid and all of those weapons and he'd be doing pretty well. Mahommes is like RGIII to me. Looks unstoppable right now but I'm not really impressed with him as a "QB". Which is a long way of saying that I also don't count him as one who benefited by sitting for a year. They didn't sit him because they were developing him, they had the luxury of Alex Smith leading the league in passer rating and constantly winning games.

That's like Rodgers and the Packers. They are universally revered for being so smart for "sitting" Aaron Rodgers. They didn't choose to sit him, they chose to keep starting their pro bowl QB. Big whoop.

Teams that don't have an established starter at QB generally play their first round pick sooner than later.

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
You know I used to think you should bring someone along slower, and I still do, check out Mahomes, he didn't start his first year until the last game.

He is WAY better than Josh.

Why wouldn't we want THAT on our team? We obviously would and if that comes up again then take it and let them sort it out.

I don't actually agree. Mahommes has a strong arm and is a great off-script athlete but I think Rosen is a better QB. Put him in KC with Reid and all of those weapons and he'd be doing pretty well. Mahommes is like RGIII to me. Looks unstoppable right now but I'm not really impressed with him as a "QB". Which is a long way of saying that I also don't count him as one who benefited by sitting for a year. They didn't sit him because they were developing him, they had the luxury of Alex Smith leading the league in passer rating and constantly winning games.

That's like Rodgers and the Packers. They are universally revered for being so smart for "sitting" Aaron Rodgers. They didn't choose to sit him, they chose to keep starting their pro bowl QB. Big whoop.

Teams that don't have an established starter at QB generally play their first round pick sooner than later.

Very tough to compare Mahomes to Rosen. They are nowhere near the same type of QB. Mahomes is much better for a modern type offense that put less pressure on your offensive line. Rosen needs a decent line to succeed.

This is like comparing Aaron Rodgers to Eli Manning.

Rosen is a straight up pocket QB. Mahomes is really good outside the pocket.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But what is that based on? Wasn't BL a player with BA for the Steelers? Seems just as likely it was familiarity more than ability. While Leftwich was a former QB, which could be a good thing, I don't put him in that same category as guys like Sean Payton, the Grudens, McVay, Reich, etc. Those were also all former QB's but all of them were over achievers. They didn't have the talent to play at the NFL level but they still fought there way toward that goal. BL is what I don't usually like from athletes. A guy with all the physical gifts in the world who doesn't succeed with them.

He did alright I suppose and maybe injuries played a bigger part in his shortcomings than I'm giving credit for but I'm still skeptical.

dude.

We just fired the worst OC ever. Why sit and stir over an interim replacement? He either does well or we find someone else next year. Either way, it has to be better.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Let's not overlook that Leftwich is inheriting McCoy's offense. It will take an off season to transition to a new offense.
It's almost the same as BA offense minus some receivers if it takes season to transition out of last place offensively we have the wrong dude

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he can use the same terminology but call different plays. they all have pretty much the same plays in the playbooks.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Very tough to compare Mahomes to Rosen. They are nowhere near the same type of QB. Mahomes is much better for a modern type offense that put less pressure on your offensive line. Rosen needs a decent line to succeed.

This is like comparing Aaron Rodgers to Eli Manning.

Rosen is a straight up pocket QB. Mahomes is really good outside the pocket.
Doesn't seem that hard to compare them at all. You just did. ;)

But at the end of the day, I like QB's more than I like athletes. In the long run, I think a "QB" is going to serve a team better than a guy who just puts up numbers. Granted, all other things being equal, one would think that Rodgers would be "better" than Eli but as flawed as Eli might be, he's got two rings and Rodgers(and Favre and Young and many others) have just one.

In a vacuum, more skill and physical ability is tantalizing but I'll always take a little less of that if I get a guy who can do everything else better.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Leftwich has a great relationship with Rosen and was exposed to BA for two years. That gives me hope, at least for the short term.

He was exposed to BA for far longer than 2 years - closer to 10 years when BA was his OC in Pittsburgh (and when BA thought he would go on to become a head coach (of the Arizona Cardinals ))

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he called plays in preseason under BA a few times and in those games, I liked the playcalling.

When I think of leftwich I think of him ona broken ankle being carried up the field, snapping the ball and throwing passes in college. dude has heart.
Preseason does not count. Vanilla defense. fringe players, etc.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Preseason does not count. Vanilla defense. fringe players, etc.
I am specifically talking about the flow of his playcalling itself. That's all I am considering.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I still can not get my wife to understand this concept.
I am specifically talking about the flow of his playcalling itself. That's all I am considering.

It's still of minimal signifigance, the flow might look great for the meaninglessness of that situation just because no one is trying that hard to distrupt that flow.

It just doen't mean much, it's not the same thing.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's still of minimal signifigance, the flow might look great for the meaninglessness of that situation just because no one is trying that hard to distrupt that flow.

It just doen't mean much, it's not the same thing.
Okay?

Cool.

How about this: when he got a chance to call plays he didn't run up the middle over and over

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone is equally as excited for "change" but the reality is that is likely a case of any port in a storm. For me, I question how the players will react to BL being elevated? Will he have authority and respect? I kind of doubt it.

On the one hand, being a former player will carry weight but the fact that he survived a regime change does not indicate to me that he is a guy who is a threat to steal coaching jobs. He was a safe "keep" from McCoy and Wilks who were both bad coaches. Guys who don't want to be threatened.

I know, that's a lot of mind reading but if you're coming into a team and you have a whole new scheme, new HC, new OC and 3 new QB's, what benefit is there to keeping Arians' QB coach? I'm sincerely asking because it seems pretty wonky to me.
management wanted to keep him.ftwich was always known as a smart guy even as a player... he was being groomed to be an OC IMO by the previous staff...dude is gonna do fine. we just have to remember that he cant install a totally new offense mid season...he will be running mccoys offense,..but hopefully with a bit more creativity and aggression in the play calling

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
management wanted to keep him.ftwich was always known as a smart guy even as a player... he was being groomed to be an OC IMO by the previous staff...dude is gonna do fine. we just have to remember that he cant install a totally new offense mid season...he will be running mccoys offense,..but hopefully with a bit more creativity and aggression in the play calling
Well I didn't think he was forced on management. :) But, that isn't really a selling point considering what management went out and got. I'm sure Wilks and McCoy are relatively smart but that doesn't really mean anything.

Hopefully you're right and BL's a prodigy but that he was hired by this staff and "known" as smart isn't quite enough to go on.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
yes u right but i saw him still making those high throws , are 3 weeks ina row he does the same, hasnt be coached to correct it?
Those are typically a result of footwork. He’s having to dance a lot due to the oline. When he has time to set his feet his throws are on target. So I don’t think the high throws are a teaching thing.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
he's a first time OC after a year of being a QB coach. I expect next to nothing. That's not because I don't like Lefty. there's just no reason to get excited beyond the obvious "at least he's not McCoy!"

yep

maybe the team has found the next proto-McVay, but the odds of this are low

also: he is new, so like a new QB, he will make mistakes