Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim cited for DUI on July 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason for this type of thread is because for decades now many of us have been affected by drinking and driving and have worked in some way to increase awareness of the hazards related to it. We've lost friends or family members to drunk drivers or been hit by a drunk driver personally. There have been many campaigns, groups, slogans, etc aimed at reducing the number of drunks on the road. For all the effort it seems like many in society still just don't care. They act like the people driving drunk are the real victims and the cops are just out to get them. With arrests like this, they immediately question whether alcohol was even a factor, compare it to other crimes, and do everything they can to basically say it's not really that big of a deal. They share what to do in case you get pulled over and have been drinking instead of being adamant about not drinking and driving. People talk all day long about it being "inexcusable and unacceptable" but those are just tough words. They don't want real consequences and are much more in favor of continuing to slap people on the wrists for getting DUI's. This was a big deal to me when I was in high school and lost a friend to a drunk driver. Sadly, not much has really changed in 30 plus years. We're sitting here having the same revolving arguments. I imagine if there were a decades long movement aimed at drivers who drove too fast and nothing much ever seemed to change then we'd have threads on speeders like we do on drunks.

Arizona currently has the most strictest DUI laws in the nation. This is the wrong state to drink and drive in. I don't see how you can say not much has changed in 30 years.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Just because it wasn't on THAT video doesn't mean that Keim didn't say he was the head of security etc.. It also highly unlikely that he registered on an HGN test if he ONLY had 2 beers 90 minutes prior especially at his size... Sooo IMO he was clearly lying. But just an opinion based on experience.

IMO, the video I posted indicates to me that he was more than influence by 2 beers... His speech seemed slurry, and he needed to hold his fists to his chin in order to comply with the eye test - and even then he still seemed to not be able to fully comply. He even seemed to be on the verge of dozing off during that test.
The fact that he has a prior DUI can't be ignored. And along with my own in-person accounts, I believe he was in fact, drunk. We'll see how it all shakes out... but most importantly, I really, really hope this is "the" wake-up call for Keim.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona currently has the most strictest DUI laws in the nation. This is the wrong state to drink and drive in. I don't see how you can say not much has changed in 30 years.

I cant believe they let him go. There should be a 12 hour minimum hold.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Just because it wasn't on THAT video doesn't mean that Keim didn't say he was the head of security etc.. It also highly unlikely that he registered on an HGN test if he ONLY had 2 beers 90 minutes prior especially at his size... Sooo IMO he was clearly lying. But just an opinion based on experience.

The police report is being amended to reflect that he did not represent himself as head of security.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

and to do this on the 4th of July isn't just reckless, it's IDIOTIC. Anyone who drinks and ever has to think about this kind of stuff KNOWS that on that day/new year's and halloween, the cops are out in full force. And yet, he did this anyway which makes me question his intelligence even more.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any good lawyer will tell you:

1. pull over safely an be polite to the officer
2. Don't lie but don't answer any potentially incriminating questions. Simply say you have been advised not to answer questions.
3. Refuse Field sobriety test and Breathlizer test
4. Take the chemical test at the Police Station

pretty standard

Im not so sure I agree with this. Why take the ride to jail if its not necessary? I have pulled people over for swerving and driving like their drunk. Perform FST's and you let them go scott free. Under your advice its possible the person automatically gets booked and a night in jail.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mike Golic was on the local radio today and said what Keim said is the SOP for a NFL player/exec getting pulled over. Identify yourself and then request that they talk to the head of security with the team.

I might be jaded but my guess is that the team is hoping that the Head of Security will work out something with the officer to keep it all under wraps.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not in Arizona. Catch and release to paddy wagon, with curbside dropoff is not unusual here.

That's asking for trouble. As a dept. You take him off the street let him go and then he goes and grabs his secondary car and drives away killing someone. Its happened and there is a reason why states have the mandatory hold time.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not so sure I agree with this. Why take the ride to jail if its not necessary? I have pulled people over for swerving and driving like their drunk. Perform FST's and you let them go scott free. Under your advice its possible the person automatically gets booked and a night in jail.

Well obviously this advice is if you have been drinking.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well obviously this advice is if you have been drinking.

Thats what Im telling you I have pulled people over that have had a couple beers and they adequately pass the tests and are released??? You can have a couple beers and not be imparied tot he point of a mandatory arrest.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Golic was on the local radio today and said what Keim said is the SOP for a NFL player/exec getting pulled over. Identify yourself and then request that they talk to the head of security with the team.

I might be jaded but my guess is that the team is hoping that the Head of Security will work out something with the officer to keep it all under wraps.

this is what I was thinking too. Nico sure as hell would have taken care of that stuff for the NY Hawks!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just heard on the radio last night by a traffic cop. "Clear me M Mary" (warning) "Subject passed all FST's"

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats what Im telling you I have pulled people over that have had a couple beers and they adequately pass the tests and are released??? You can have a couple beers and not be imparied tot he point of a mandatory arrest.

Not all cops are as nice as you.

Plus I'm just going off of what my lawyer friend said and I've heard the same thing from other lawyers as well. Of course they are blood sucking lawyers so they probably just want extra cash.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Doesn't the head of security also work for the Chandler Police? I believe so... which, in my own naive thinking, could add credence to the "work something out" potential...

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is what I was thinking too. Nico sure as hell would have taken care of that stuff for the NY Hawks!

You think Keim would at least know the last name of his head of security. I wonder how poor Sean McKenzie, I mean Shawn Kinsey, feels now that he knows that his boss doesn't know his full name.

Maybe the Card HQ should plan a team building exercise before the preseason begins.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And yet, he did this anyway which makes me question his intelligence even more.
He's smart enough to have one of thirty jobs on the planet and bring home a seven figure salary, along with negotiating huge contracts and managing a $150ish million dollar budget.

But, he may not be the wisest of persons out there.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You think Keim would at least know the last name of his head of security. I wonder how poor Sean McKenzie, I mean Shawn Kinsey, feels now that he knows that his boss doesn't know his full name.

Maybe the Card HQ should plan a team building exercise before the preseason begins.

I wouldn't necessarily call him his boss?? The head of security for the team likely answers directly to Bidwill. The GM is in charge of all things in relation to building a roster. Im doubting he has much to do with overall security. Semantics I know. But you know what I mean :)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been pulled over for dui when I hadnt had a drink in months. one doesnt have to be drinking in order for a cop to think you are drunk.

Well, it is no longer DWI (implying alcohol) for a reason. It is DUI (could be alcohol, medicine, drugs, cough syrup, fatigue, vertigo, etc.). It's not necessarily whether you are drunk, but whether you are impaired. You can be sober and still not be safe to drive.

Reaction score
Are you serious? Let's go through the thread. You liked TJ's post#13 that was about people overreacting to DUIs. Then liked Solar7's post 22 and 27 complaining that DUIs rules are too strict. You still hadn't actually said anything yourself on the thread... just supported posts that were posturing/defending what Keim did wasn't so bad.

Then we get to your first actual post of the thread. Post #41. Did you condemn him for his actions? Even say he needs a slap on the wrist? Or maybe needs to get help? Nope. You did none of the above. Your simply replied to someone else's post that Keim was one of the best GMs in the league.

Next, in post 101 from Hollywood, you liked another defense of Keim where it was even opined he he might have actually been high on paint fumes from a nearby house!

So, so far through multiple pages, you've liked a bunch of posts finding excuses for Keim, called him one of the best GMs in the league but actually said NOTHING about what he actually did. And the silence there is DEAFENING.

Then, in post 199, you started defending people being able to drive with 2-3 drinks and started into some whataboutism BS with cellphones to take the stink of Keim. Then, in post 214, before we knew the police report was wrong, you were actually defending him about lying to the cops.

That's all you've done on this thread... either supported rationalizations/excuses for his behavior, complimented Keim and vociferously attack other posters who condemned his actions. When you do all that yet never say ONE BAD WORD ABOUT WHAT KEIM DID, you sure as hell are defending his ass, clear as day.

It doesn't take a genius to figure that out... or a judgmental prick.

:biglaugh: Because I like other people's posts I'm defending him? That's a stretch as well I'm not calling for his firing is. Not everyone goes into hysterics like you do genius. Maybe I didn't say ONE BAD THING because I'm not a judgmental prick?

Reaction score
Okay... maybe you're not lying. maybe you've just smacked your head one too many times and knocked your brain out of whack.

Here's was my statement: Keim shouldn't be the figurehead for a huge sports team.

That's not saying his career should be over, unless you think there are only 30 TOTAL JOBS IN 30 FRONT OFFICES AROUND THE LEAGUE. Is that what you think? That being a figurehead/GM is the ONLY CAREER KEIM CAN HAVE? You realize there are probably HUNDREDS of jobs in front offices around the league, and hundreds more as an executive position in college, but the job he has right now is the TOP of those. That doesn't mean I think his career should be ended. It means he shouldn't be trusted to be THE executive/THE face of a franchise. That guy needs to be knocked down a peg and rebuild himself and get help before he can rise to the top of the mountain again.

This really isn't that hard to understand.

I get it... you have a grudge against me. You think I'm a judgmental prick because I consistently disagree with your takes like John Brown is better than Antonio Brown, Carson Palmer is better than Big Ben, our WR group last year was strong... or Brandon Williams and Bethel could easily man the 2nd and 3rd CB spots... and then you're proven wrong, time after time after time after time. But just because you make yourself look foolish there repeatedly, doesn't mean you get to distort what I'm saying or try to act like you're not defending a two-time DUI offender. Because that's exactly what you've done on this thread.

What is the definition of hypocrite?

Status
Not open for further replies.