Who is your most frustrating player in Cardinal history...

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Oy, yep. The man who pretty much singlehandedly cost us a playoff spot in 1984. Not for the miss at Washington(that was a rushed kick) but for the week 1 missed extra point against GB. We lost by 1 freaking point. Besides him, as for frustrating players:

John Lee-wasted a 2nd round pick on a kicker who wouldn't make a 35 yard FG and who missed 3 XP in his only year.

Leonard Davis-The first human turnstile

Levi Brown-the 2nd human turnstile

Matt Leinart-The guy would much rather make movies like House Bunny rather than prepare himself to be an NFL QB.

Thomas Jones-The guy would do the same thing. Take the ball, then dance around instead of hitting the hole, before tripping on a blade of grass.

Last edited:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would have to say Thomas Jones, Garrison Hearst, or Calvin Pace only because they sucked so bad for us then went on to play very well for other teams.

I'm very surprised that Tom Knight's name hasn't surfaced in this discussion yet...

I think everyone is being unfair to Hearst. His first 2 seasons were injury plagued then his first whole season he gains 1,000 yards and the team rewards him by cutting him. Never really gave the guy a chance.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was a replacement for ..... Steve Little.... a kicker who the Cardinals took in the..... FIRST ROUND!!!

Oh these young ones know nothing of frustration.

Lesser well known was when he missed like 4 or 5 chip shot field goals to end in the MNF tie with the Giants, still widely thought of as the WORST MNF game in history.

I say again, one of the best moments ever was watching ESPN's fledgling draft coverage back when they still had binders and watching them dig furiously through them trying to find the guy the Cardinals just drafted.

Someone probably remembers who it was I've forgotten, I keep wanting to say it was Swan but I don't think so.

No matter the important thing is those days are thankfully history.
Wasn't Swann because everyone knew of him and how he played minor league football and didn't go to college.

Last edited:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Leinart. Were not for Rackers and a horrible defense, his career would have started, and possibly continued in a much different manner. Had high hopes for Matt.

Are you referring to the MNF meltdown against the Bears? You're actually going to blame the defense for that? They gave up 3 points in that game. The other 21 came from 2 fumbles returned for TD's(1 from Leinart and 1 from Edge) and a Devin Hester punt return. I don't even blame Rackers for that. He should have never been in that position in the first place not to mention it's pretty weak to blame the kicker for 11 losses.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Easy for me, Beanie Wells. If he could have stayed healthy he'd be a top back in the league. That last half of hi rookie season showed a ton of promise but then he was injured next training camp and never really recovered.

On a different note, the most frustrating person in Cards history is easy for me as well, Rod Graves.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
5) KVB - great talent, couldn't stay healthy as a Card - could just as easily be Andre Wadsworth too

4) Tie Kelly Stouffer, Matt Leinart and for a year & a half - Kurt Warner (flame away, but you know it was true :) )

3) Buster Douglas - only because it proved the ineptitude of our FO

2)Bryant "Skillet Hands" Johnson - see #3 above X's 10

and Number One - Leonard "Big" Davis - never heard a Cardinal player so roundly booed each and every time when introduced

JTS

Buster Davis.

Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Buster Davis.

Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson.

You must be registered for see images attach

True but Buster Douglas may have been a beter draft pick than Davis. Douglass is a Columbus guy, waaaaaay back in the day, I used to play a little basketball against him and his buddies from high school.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Alan Branch

Some GREAT names getting thrown around in this thread.

Some others that I would throw out there:

- Anthony Clement
- Oliver Ross
- Cody Brown
- Jamel Flemming
- Blok
- Terrance Holt

.......lol, Dennis Johnson. The question is, who was the bookend with Dennis Johnson. I can't remember and for good reason.

Maybe the immortal Kyle Vanden Bosch, procurer of fine furniture?

I would put down Double Deuce, but he was WAY too much fun during the Tebow year to talk about. Back to back safeties. LOL!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Freddie Jones. I thought that guy was going to be a star when we got him from San Diego at the same time we were integrating a WCO under Marc Trestman with Plummer under center.

Arguably the Arizona Cardinals best tight end ever.

:(

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Early Doucet was another for me. He show flashes of brilliance and then not be heard from again for weeks on in. Injuries played a big part in his career too.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Early Doucet was another for me. He show flashes of brilliance and then not be heard from again for weeks on in. Injuries played a big part in his career too.

Doucet easily the most frustrating player. Consistently dropped passes that should have been caught for first downs.

Pre Arizona - I have a tie between kickersSteve Little and John Lee. Both high round draft choices who were horrible.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Matt Leinart from recent Cardinal history. If he would have panned out, the Cardinals would have been prepared for the post-Kurt Warner period. Instead, they spent a lot of money and a second round draft pick trying to fill the position.

And no, it wasn't Whis' fault. Leinart couldn't stay healthy when he got on the field and when he did he lived in Checkdown City his entire career.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
RB Ryan Williams because of injuries. He had a lot of obvious talent.

The Leenart because he just faded after the shoulder separation. He had shown some promise before that.

Thank God KW13 came through big time.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Draft - Wendell Bryant.

I agree Wendell Bryant could have been so much more than he was. He showed absolutely no desire to play and did nothing on the field. Second would be Levi Brown. As a long time PSU fan I thought he would become a reliable LT that could anchor the line. I had high hopes for both of these guys only to be frustrated with them. Bryant never cared and Levi never learned how to get better.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I agree Wendell Bryant could have been so much more than he was. He showed absolutely no desire to play and did nothing on the field. Second would be Levi Brown. As a long time PSU fan I thought he would become a reliable LT that could anchor the line. I had high hopes for both of these guys only to be frustrated with them. Bryant never cared and Levi never learned how to get better.

Bryant
Levi Clown
Beanie
Anthony Bell
Tommy Knight
Anthony Thompson
Skillet Hands Johnson
Scott Bergold
Schohawk
Alan Branch
Tony Sacca
Tupa

...just stay away from the big 10 early in the draft & everything will be ok :D;)

Those are just a few of the early round picks who sucked ass for our Redbirds from that conference...so don't draft Lewan please!!!

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
JJ Arrington - couldn't believe how a pro RB would constantly just fall down at the slightest touch from a defensive tackler. It seems the most important times when we needed a yard for a first down is when he fell down the easiest short of the sticks.

This. I think most of you are naming busts or washouts. That is frustration from the front office for missing on players but JJ had all the tools and talent to be a really good running back....except that he was afraid to get hit. I will never forget a play at SDS where we needed the first down and he dropped to the ground just before getting hit and just before reaching the first down. :bang: What kind of man gets to the NFL and is afraid of being hit?!?!? THAT is frustrating.

Most of the guys mentioned suffered from lack of talent.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really is.

With the expectation we had for him and the fix he was SUPPOSED to be at the #1 most important position on the field coupled with all the hype around him as the most NFL ready QB in a decade etc… He was infuriating!

Levi would be 2nd though ;)

I think I don't answer Leinart because Warner sort of diffused the whole issue with Leinart?

If Warner had never played here then Matt would be the obvious answer.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Bryant
Levi Clown
Beanie
Anthony Bell
Tommy Knight
Anthony Thompson
Skillet Hands Johnson
Scott Bergold
Schohawk
Alan Branch
Tony Sacca
Tupa

...just stay away from the big 10 early in the draft & everything will be ok :D;)

Those are just a few of the early round picks who sucked ass for our Redbirds from that conference...so don't draft Lewan please!!!

Hey, Tupa is one of my favorite Cardinals QB's and a pretty good punter. :D

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I don't answer Leinart because Warner sort of diffused the whole issue with Leinart?

If Warner had never played here then Matt would be the obvious answer.

All that was was a 3 year distraction and fun ride. Leinart should still Be in red and our future HOF QB leading us to SB contention yearly. Yet he's a bum on the streets. Regardless of Warner he still set this franchise back and the last two years 2011 and 2012 make the pick even more infuriating! At least for me.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All that was was a 3 year distraction and fun ride. Leinart should still Be in red and our future HOF QB leading us to SB contention yearly. Yet he's a bum on the streets. Regardless of Warner he still set this franchise back and the last two years 2011 and 2012 make the pick even more infuriating! At least for me.

Oh I know what you mean I just think its unlikely Matt was ever going to be as good as Warner was for that stretch.

So while it hurt us longer term in the short term it allowed us to give Warner one more chance and reap the benefits.

I'm still amazed how bad Matt was, he was never the same after the shoulder.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Bryant
Levi Clown
Beanie
Anthony Bell
Tommy Knight
Anthony Thompson
Skillet Hands Johnson
Scott Bergold
Schohawk
Alan Branch
Tony Sacca
Tupa

Something I never understood is Johnson, he was a reliable goto receiver at PSU then he gets to the NFL and develops skillet hands. Sacca on the other hand should never even have been drafted. He wasn't good enough to warrant a draft choice. I don't think he even had a 50% completion rate at PSU or he just barely made 50%.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
:mulli: that was Duck ;)

The only Aggie I've ever pushed the Cards to draft is some guy coming out this year whom is Houdini on the field & might be Pacman off of it :p

Ha! I hated that selection. Of course I've hated every selection of a RB by the Cardinals in the 2nd round. Every one has been a bust. For 50 years.

Leonard Davis a human turnstile? Whoever wrote that must have missed the games he played. Simeon Rice had 51 sacks in his 5 seasons in the AZ. Wouldn't we love to have a pass rusher like him now. His attitude sure sucked though.

Two worst moves in Arizona Cardinal history: Letting Leonard Davis leave as a free agent and then passing on Adrian Peterson to draft Leonard Davis. Even gave that bum Brown the same #. And trading for Kevin Kolb and paying that lack of talent $17 million.

Most frustrating Cardinal of all time? Bill Bidwill. How he let guys like George Boone and Rod Graves manage his business is truly amazing.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Most frustrating Cardinal of all time? Bill Bidwill. How he let guys like George Boone and Rod Graves manage his business is truly amazing.

George Boone should be the most frustrating person in the Cardinal organization due to his drafting. Clyde Duncan and Steve Little. Gene Stallings asked for Oline in the draft one year but Boone drafted K John Lee in the 2nd round. Amazing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen