Who is your most frustrating player in Cardinal history...

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
George Boone should be the most frustrating person in the Cardinal organization due to his drafting. Clyde Duncan and Steve Little. Gene Stallings asked for Oline in the draft one year but Boone drafted K John Lee in the 2nd round. Amazing.

Problem is Boone hit on some damn good-great players in the early 80's too...
Lomax
Juice
Stump
Sharpe
Tootie
EJ
Leonard Smith
Lonnie Young
Greer
Jetstream Green
Galloway
Nunn

...unless Bowtie was throwing darts at the board for those selections ;)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is Andre Wadsworth for me though I get the Leinart arguements. My thought is Wadsworth was the sure thing. He was Jadeveon Clowney, the can't miss pick, and he got hurt. It wasn't an attitude thing, a talent issue or a legal issue. Wadsworth just got an injury that pretty much ended his career despite his freakish athletic ability. That is most frustrating to me because it was out of anyone's control.

Leinart just wasn't as good as he was projected to be and didn't seem to work hard enough to overcome that difference. That is poor scouting in my mind, and while it sucks, I can at least wrap my head around it and see how the mistake was made.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm surprised Jake the Snake isnt getting more ink here. I wanted so much to believe he was a super star in the making, even as he racked up 3-4 int games and made valiant efforts to dig out of 21 point holes largely of his own creation.

I'd also like to nominated DRC. Not that he was the most frustrating but was certainly frustrating. Guy has pro-bowl talent but is too lazy 90% of the time to tap into it.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think I don't answer Leinart because Warner sort of diffused the whole issue with Leinart?

If Warner had never played here then Matt would be the obvious answer.

I disagree. Whiz would still be the coach if Leinart was anything other than a bum! If we could have transitioned from Warner to Leinart, we would have become a perennial playoff team. That's exactly what happens when you miss out picking your QBOF. The problem wasn't even Kolb. We never would have been in desperation mode, if not for Leinart. Piece of garbage!!

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
It's funny reading this thread and when certain names come up, I think of one specific play about why they were so frustrating. Bryant Johnson's sure touchdown that went right through his arms, JJ Arrington's dive to avoid a hit, etc.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Problem is Boone hit on some damn good-great players in the early 80's too...
Lomax
Juice
Stump
Sharpe
Tootie
EJ
Leonard Smith
Lonnie Young
Greer
Jetstream Green
Galloway
Nunn

...unless Bowtie was throwing darts at the board for those selections ;)

Bucky, He did hit on the ones you mentioned but there was a stretch where he baffled everybody with his picks. I just mentioned a few of his more curious picks.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
It's funny reading this thread and when certain names come up, I think of one specific play about why they were so frustrating. Bryant Johnson's sure touchdown that went right through his arms, JJ Arrington's dive to avoid a hit, etc.

The thread is about frustration so he could of easily won that title.

What people forget is that he was nearly ruined for a year by the resident dumb arse of all dumb arses, a guy I LOATHE.

Remember when Rodney nearly tore his finger off?

Jake sucked that year cause his hand was screwed up and after that i think that he simply ruined his game trying too hard on a terrible team.

I'm not going to rewrite history, Jake well, hard to say if he ever was going to get it but this team with it's incredible sucky FO ruined him if he ever did have a chance.

Then Mike S took his soul out of him and finished him off.

I think back on Jake and i am no longer as frustrated mostly I have good memories of that time, he was at least fun to watch.

It's weird deal, he'd of never gotten the chance to be so heroic on any other team, yet here he set up his own heroics with terrible play in the first half.

He was AMAZING when his back was against the wall, simply AMAZING, but trouble is he kept putting his own back against the wall.

Russ could go on for days, but I happen to think it was cool we got to see that, it would of likely never happened on any other team.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is Andre Wadsworth for me though I get the Leinart arguements. My thought is Wadsworth was the sure thing. He was Jadeveon Clowney, the can't miss pick, and he got hurt. It wasn't an attitude thing, a talent issue or a legal issue. Wadsworth just got an injury that pretty much ended his career despite his freakish athletic ability. That is most frustrating to me because it was out of anyone's control.

i can't put Wads on my list simply because he didn't frustrate me...he just saddened me. I too thought he was going to be the next Bruce Smith. Just an outright terror at DE that was going to make our D-line one of the best ever. I mean, can you imagine if he had actually stayed healthy and you had both him and Rice coming off the edge, with Swann in the middle blowing stuff up? They had the makings of the best D-line of all time, but Dr. Steadman saw to it that that never happened.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leinart. I wanted that asshat to succeed about 500 times more than he did.

Should have been our franchise face, still today. What a freaking washout.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think everyone is being unfair to Hearst. His first 2 seasons were injury plagued then his first whole season he gains 1,000 yards and the team rewards him by cutting him. Never really gave the guy a chance.

Hearst is my choice as well. Frustrating because he went on to be so good for the damn Niners. I'm not blaming Hearst for being hurt, I'm frustrated by the fact he wasn't a career Cardinal.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I think everyone is being unfair to Hearst. His first 2 seasons were injury plagued then his first whole season he gains 1,000 yards and the team rewards him by cutting him. Never really gave the guy a chance.

I just meant "frustrating" in that I wanted him to do so much more, not that the fault was his or anything like that.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
i can't put Wads on my list simply because he didn't frustrate me...he just saddened me. I too thought he was going to be the next Bruce Smith. Just an outright terror at DE that was going to make our D-line one of the best ever. I mean, can you imagine if he had actually stayed healthy and you had both him and Rice coming off the edge, with Swann in the middle blowing stuff up? They had the makings of the best D-line of all time, but Dr. Steadman saw to it that that never happened.

He is disappointing for me because even when we did everything right, it still didn't work out for the Cardinals. We finally beat incompetence and lose to plain old bad luck.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Here is one I have not seen mentioned, Tim Rosebaugh (I think that's his name) the QB we drafted in the first round that got hurt and then decided he wanted to go rodeo instead of play football.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Leinart is the winner {or loser} in this debate. There is no one that comes close. He not only failed miserably, but apparently scared the team off from evening trying to draft a QB in the first round since.

Wendell Bryant was just a complete waste in all possible aspects.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is disappointing for me because even when we did everything right, it still didn't work out for the Cardinals. We finally beat incompetence and lose to plain old bad luck.

not only that, but by trading down from the number 2 pick, we also got the Chargers #1 pick the next year which was top ten and netted us David Boston, who looked like a monster in the making and ended up being a disaster.

Both Wadsworth and Boston should have been superstars and ended up being a big bowl of nada.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
not only that, but by trading down from the number 2 pick, we also got the Chargers #1 pick the next year which was top ten and netted us David Boston, who looked like a monster in the making and ended up being a disaster.

Both Wadsworth and Boston should have been superstars and ended up being a big bowl of nada.

I wonder if the Cardinals ask potential draftees about nipple piercings now.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I disagree. Whiz would still be the coach if Leinart was anything other than a bum! If we could have transitioned from Warner to Leinart, we would have become a perennial playoff team. That's exactly what happens when you miss out picking your QBOF. The problem wasn't even Kolb. We never would have been in desperation mode, if not for Leinart. Piece of garbage!!

I take it from your comments that you don't particularly like Matt Leinart. As a matter of fact it appears you blame Leinart for the team's demise after he was released in 2010. Damn Leinart for forcing Whiz to roll out that collection of garbage at QB in 2010, 2011, and 2012. I bet that piece of garbage was just trolling around the training camps and facilities creating all kinds of havoc and sucking the life and skills out of every QB Whiz brought into camp. I guess Leinart won because he caused Whiz to get fired. I guess vengeance was his. I guess we will have to wait and see if Leinart continues to exact revenge on Whiz by causing the same problems in Tennessee.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Simeon Rice and Terry Metcalf. For different reasons.Simeon Rice because he would look great sacking the QB and then get flat ass steamrolled repeatedly on running plays.At times it seemed he was interested in pass rushing only and the run stopping was no interest to him.
Terry Metcalf because he would make a dazzling punt return or run or catch then make all knids of jukes and moves and make a big gain then get hit and fumble.It seemed like every crucial drive Metcalf would make a huge play but a least once a game it seemed like he would fumble.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Here is one I have not seen mentioned, Tim Rosebaugh (I think that's his name) the QB we drafted in the first round that got hurt and then decided he wanted to go rodeo instead of play football.

Timm Rosenbach I believe was his name and wore #3 if I remembered correctly. I also remember that there was some stuff done while he was with the organization which really rubbed him the wrong way and he just quit the sport because of it (that is coming from him and might have even written a book on it). I have no idea of what was factual or not which is still frustrating because he did appear to have the makings of a starting QB. I think he is a OC now for some college the last I heard his name :)

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
Timm Rosenbach I believe was his name and wore #3 if I remembered correctly. I also remember that there was some stuff done while he was with the organization which really rubbed him the wrong way and he just quit the sport because of it (that is coming from him and might have even written a book on it). I have no idea of what was factual or not which is still frustrating because he did appear to have the makings of a starting QB. I think he is a OC now for some college the last I heard his name :)

I think he was a supplemental draft pick, too. Not sure if that cost us a first round pick later or nor. He had a nice finish in 1990, I believe and thought he was the real deal.

ANDY440

Registered
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't have a most frustrating player but I'll use this thread to mention my most frustrating
Cardinal moment was when we had the ball at the Dallas 2 yard line in the 99 playoff game and knelt on it 3 or 4 times to run out the clock instead of punching it in.

They repaid us with a 44-7 ass beating the next time we met

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't have a most frustrating player but I'll use this thread to mention my most frustrating
Cardinal moment was when we had the ball at the Dallas 2 yard line in the 99 playoff game and knelt on it 3 or 4 times to run out the clock instead of punching it in.

They repaid us with a 44-7 ass beating the next time we met

It was 35-7. But we beat them 13-9 in the next meeting the Cowboys current HC was their QB in that game. Dave Brown played for us! Game was almost as ugly as the 9-6 win we had in 2002.

I'm still happy about the Cards beating the Cowboys 3 straight because Dallas botched a kick. Morey blocks a punt. Dallas misses an extra point in game 2 at the end and then in game 3 the Cowboys ice their own kicker and the Cards win all three in OT.

You gotta love Cardinal football.

Last edited: