Some things remain the same

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
With all the change that this off-season has brought to this team, there are still some things that remain unchanged. Unfortunately, one of those is the Cardinal's penchant for 'tanking' it in a game where they had the opportunity to take a big step forward.

BA, (in his post-game presser), dutifully took responsibility for the debacle that was 'Cardinal's Football' in U of P Stadium Saturday evening, and said that the poor play was fixable. He also noted that unfortunately, injuries aren't.

The injuries, (given the fact that the Cards on-field leadership failed to rouse their level of play enough to match San Diego's effort), were almost bound to occur. That almost always happens when two forces meet, and only one of them is willing to play as hard as the other. This was a near perfect setting for Cardinal's to become injured. They played without the fire and determination of the San Diego team, who came here with something to prove. Getting fired can do that to a man like Whiz, and he certainly had the Charger offense playing in high gear. From that standpoint alone, this game was very costly.

The fix that BA alluded to in his post-game presser may be harder to make than simply being a matter of preparation. This is nothing new for the Cards, (just ask any old time fan of the red birds and they will tell you). This kind of fiasco happens at least once a season, (more than once normally). In my opinion, it has nothing to do with coaching preparation. It has everything to do with on-field leadership, (or I should say, lack of it).

Many are saying that fortunately, this one occurred during a meaningless game that was not on prime-time national TV. Try telling that to the 60+ thousand fans wearing red at the Stadium last night. The disgust that they felt, and the anger incurred, may be very damaging to this franchise.

This could effect not only the string of sell-outs compiled at the stadium, but the change in colors worn by the fans at home games, which has gradually turned to red instead of the opponent's colors. This is precisely the situation that several posters, (myself included), had talked about early-on this off-season, when there was a post asking 'what the most important thing was that BA should know about this job'? Many posters, (if not most), felt that BA should not underestimate how important it was for this team to not fall into that old trap of settling into complacency just when things appeared to be going well.

This is NOT a battle hardened team. In fact, it is the opposite, in that THIS team did not scrimmage or tackle each other during training camp. The collective psyche of this team is very fragile. There are only really two on-field leaders, Fitz on offense, and Dockett on defense. Fitz, while quietly showing the way to prepare, is NOT vocal enough, (or 'in your face' enough), to lead this offense. That has to come from Carson Palmer, and until he steps in and takes charge of his huddle, he cannot inspire this offense to greatness, (as Kurt Warner did).

On defense, Dockett is the vocal leader, but that comes with a caveat. Dockett has the bad habit of becoming complacent, and not getting involved, (or investing himself), in situations where there seems to not be anything in it for him. This game was a perfect example of that.

Dockett hated camp, and was more than happy to get home to his own bed. That had just happened, and he was content. After all, his job was not on the line, the game was a meaningless pre-season game, and the defense had already shown that it was better than most. He could simply ride this one out. WRONG !!! That is precisely why this defense will never be great while Dockett remains its leader and spokesperson. He falls into this trap far too often, and too many of the other veterans follow him into it.

It is imperative that BA sees this, and that he realizes that part of this 'FIX' is that Dockett is either totally invested, (or subplanted), as the defensive leader on this team. Until someone on the defense is willing to step up and take this challenge EVERY game, and be the Ray Lewis of this team, this will continue to happen. BA is in the position to encourage new leadership on this defense.

Replacing the on-field leadership on this team will not be easy, but I believe it is imperative if this team is to take that next step forward to solid respectability. BA can influence it, but he can't BE the on-field leader. There must be someone to step-up and be the Ray Lewis for the Cardinals, and inspire us to 'return-in-kind' when the opponent punches you right in the face, no matter what game it is. A real leader refuses to allow anyone to come into his house and disrespect him. Right now, we still don't have that leadership established. Dockett seems to be supremely equipped for it, but he doesn't always deliver on his responsibility as the leader of the defense. When he fails to do so, the usual result is what we saw in Glendale on Saturday evening. In my opinion, until either 'he' takes responsibility, or someone else challenges him for that leadership, this team will not progress to REAL respectability.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Dockett IMO isn't & never has been a leader.

This is exactly what happens when a team is basically gutted from the inside & out and not bonded as teammates thru the on the field battles of success & failure. It's gonna take time IMO & possibly longer given so many 1 year deals.

It took Warner 2 years to become that leader & I think CP can be that dude in time if they win & the team starts to believe in him.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I think this team is a mess and will be lucky to go 4-12. So of course, they will go 12-4 now.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We are going to be bottom five in the league on defense. 5-11. Right where we should be really.

Yeah... I was a little surprised about Wolfley harping on "desire" and "attitude" when it comes to stopping the run on Saturday night. Some of it is heart, but heart doesn't matter when you're "playing the run on the way to the passer." If your linebackers are bad (and they are after Dansby), that's a recipe for disaster.

I hope that was just Wolf talking for Wolf, and not the defensive philosophy.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah... I was a little surprised about Wolfley harping on "desire" and "attitude" when it comes to stopping the run on Saturday night. Some of it is heart, but heart doesn't matter when you're "playing the run on the way to the passer." If your linebackers are bad (and they are after Dansby), that's a recipe for disaster.

I am not sure that how much Wolf even knows about defensive football, though it is surely more than I do. Still I agree with you about playing the run on the way to the passer. That is a terrible defensive philosophy. If that is what is left for this defense, then trouble is surely brewing.

One would think that we have some talent, both at LB and D-line. I am just not sure how much we are playing to the strength of that talent right now. Without Williams at nose, we are not strong up the middle. Even with him, we were not nasty. In my opinion both strength and nastiness are traits I would look for in a NT. Maybe we could get that way playing a 4-3, and utilize our D-line more in the rush, and still introduce a little nasty into the mix.

I don't like that most of our defense seems to look to Dockett for leadership. To me, that is something that has been entrusted to him by his peers, yet he seems to not take responsibility for it all the time. In my opinion, that is a shame and a waste. I bet most of these rookies have NEVER been involved on the short end of a game like they just were, whether in Pop Warner, High School, or College.

I am saddened that no one, either on offense or defense, seemed willing to stand up and punish San Diego for what they were doing to us. Maybe that is simply a product of too much roster turnover, or fluff practice habits without real contact, or maybe something else, but it does not bode well to me as we are about to enter the season. There has been little chemistry building, (which may contribute to the apparent lack of on-field leadership), but something needs to happen soon, or this will become a very long season indeed. We have enough talent to play with some degree of respectability, and that is what I want to see out of this team. I don't want to witness yet another year of 'roster spot holders' merely cruising through another season without being willing to expend great effort to achieve respectability.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The injuries, (given the fact that the Cards on-field leadership failed to rouse their level of play enough to match San Diego's effort), were almost bound to occur. That almost always happens when two forces meet, and only one of them is willing to play as hard as the other.

So someone rolled up on Cooper's leg while he was making a block on the second level, and his fibula broke because he wasn't playing hard enough? Mendenhall sprained his knee because he didn't elevate his level of play enough to match San Diego's? Sorry, i'm not buying any of it.

...dave

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

One of the reasons SD ran the ball fairly well was Dansby kept guessing wrong and attacking the wrong gap. Reminded me of McKinnon and how he got the nickname "Wrong Gap" Ronnie. Hopefully it was just that Dansby was rusty or that it was pre season and he was taking chances he may not take in the regular season. But who knows?

Reaction score
So someone rolled up on Cooper's leg while he was making a block on the second level, and his femur broke because he wasn't playing hard enough?
Fibula, not femur. It's a significant distinction, a broken femur is far more serious an injury and therefore more difficult recovery, than a broken fibula.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So someone rolled up on Cooper's leg while he was making a block on the second level, and his femur broke because he wasn't playing hard enough? Mendenhall sprained his knee because he didn't elevate his level of play enough to match San Diego's? Sorry, i'm not buying any of it.

...dave

Now this I agree with.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

he thinks if he says it 5000 times it will become true.

At least vary what you say wolfster.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah... I was a little surprised about Wolfley harping on "desire" and "attitude" when it comes to stopping the run on Saturday night. Some of it is heart, but heart doesn't matter when you're "playing the run on the way to the passer."
I agree that the problem had more to do with technique (or lack thereof) than it did with desire or attitude, but my take's a bit different:

Too many of our defensive players seemed to be imitating Raynoch (Lunge, Bounce Off & Whiff!) Thompson and allowed SD ballcarriers to turn 0-gain plays into +8-yard gains.

Recommended Solution - Plenty of film work (& yelling).

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Dockett IMO isn't & never has been a leader.

This is exactly what happens when a team is basically gutted from the inside & out and not bonded as teammates thru the on the field battles of success & failure. It's gonna take time IMO & possibly longer given so many 1 year deals.

It took Warner 2 years to become that leader & I think CP can be that dude in time if they win & the team starts to believe in him.

Maybe Dockett is not a leader in your opinion, but he is in the opinions of the majority of his team-mates. He was just voted one of the defensive captains for the Cards by his peers.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Maybe Dockett is not a leader in your opinion, but he is in the opinions of the majority of his team-mates. He was just voted one of the defensive captains for the Cards by his peers.

Coincidence that our best season as a team defensively (recently) was when his role was reduced and he was forced to play disciplined football? I think not.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Coincidence that our best season as a team defensively (recently) was when his role was reduced and he was forced to play disciplined football? I think not.

I think not either. In my opinion, it is sad that he is looked to as a leader, but is a lousy role model. Too many times last year, it seems like the defense worked our way out of imminent trouble, only to have him go 'all Dockett' on us and get a stupid 15 yarder for unsportsmanlike, or personal foul. In fact that was not just from last year, that seems to have been a trait of his.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think not either. In my opinion, it is sad that he is looked to as a leader, but is a lousy role model. Too many times last year, it seems like the defense worked our way out of imminent trouble, only to have him go 'all Dockett' on us and get a stupid 15 yarder for unsportsmanlike, or personal foul. In fact that was not just from last year, that seems to have been a trait of his.

I'd like for you to name one example where this happened last year. Pretty interesting that we'd have such a dominant defense when we have a loose cannon running around on deck.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Maybe my point was misunderstood, but perhaps you just disagree. My point was that our defense was most effective when Dockett was asked to read and react. This prevented the running lanes that he opens up when he shoots gaps on running plays. Teams can block down or kickout vs him and it just opens up huge holes. I still think Dockett is a valuable player, I just think our defense, and 3-4 defenses in general, is better when the front is 2 gapping rather than 1 gapping.

It is one reason why I don't like the 3-4 defense. No matter the scheme, Dockett is still a prototype 3 technique in a 4-3 and is just not a 3-4 DE. I honestly wonder is he would be better at the NT position where he has a natural advantage vs the C with his speed.

Reaction score
So someone rolled up on Cooper's leg while he was making a block on the second level, and his fibula broke because he wasn't playing hard enough? Mendenhall sprained his knee because he didn't elevate his level of play enough to match San Diego's? Sorry, i'm not buying any of it.

...dave

I agree.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Maybe my point was misunderstood, but perhaps you just disagree. My point was that our defense was most effective when Dockett was asked to read and react. This prevented the running lanes that he opens up when he shoots gaps on running plays. Teams can block down or kickout vs him and it just opens up huge holes. I still think Dockett is a valuable player, I just think our defense, and 3-4 defenses in general, is better when the front is 2 gapping rather than 1 gapping.

It is one reason why I don't like the 3-4 defense. No matter the scheme, Dockett is still a prototype 3 technique in a 4-3 and is just not a 3-4 DE. I honestly wonder is he would be better at the NT position where he has a natural advantage vs the C with his speed.

I just about completely agree with your post. He used to be a dominant 3-4 DE but once he was switched to 4-3, it killed a lot of his game. He hasn't been able to find his DE instincts thus far. It would be interesting to see him a NT. He would definitely have the advantage against centers. I'm not a big fan with Dumpster Dan and this would help clear that. Too bad we still don't have Scho. I can see him or to a lesser extent Acho at DE with Dockett at NT.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I just about completely agree with your post. He used to be a dominant 3-4 DE but once he was switched to 4-3, it killed a lot of his game. He hasn't been able to find his DE instincts thus far. It would be interesting to see him a NT. He would definitely have the advantage against centers. I'm not a big fan with Dumpster Dan and this would help clear that. Too bad we still don't have Scho. I can see him or to a lesser extent Acho at DE with Dockett at NT.

I think you have these switched up.

I like the idea of Dockett as a penetrating nose in passing situations, but then do we have someone as good or better to play in his place? I don't think so.

I like Dan Williams--have since before we drafted him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen