Manziel facing possible NCAA banishment

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is being investigated for taking money (supposedly 5 figures) from a memorabilia dealer to sign a ton of autographs.

The kids family is very well off, why the hell would he risk his college career for a pittance of what he will potentially make in the NFL? This guy is a dummy.

I am not going to claim he is undraftable, but his stock is clearly plummetting, and if he does get suspended he will have sat out a full season prior to the 2014 draft. The NFL might grant him an exception and allow him to enter a supplemental draft during the next month (like Pryor did) but its doubtful because has not been out of HS long enough to be eligible.

At this point where would you guys be willing to draft him, supplemental this summer or 2014?

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I barely follow college football, but this is at least the third time I've heard of this guy getting bad press in the past few months.

Sounds like an entitled brat...or Oakland Raider.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm betting he did it on purpose. Can't quit -- parents won't let him -- but doesn't want to be at A&M anymore. He figured another way out. He can go back to Tyler and work on his golf game and drink beer now.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
To show you how dumb Aggies are...his families filthy rich, so he cheats to make some $$$ & possibly now is going to get punished by the NCAA. He got the big head & drowned in his own fame & hype...he's gonna bust big time as an NFL player!

But Scam Newton & Auburn and then the Buckeyes got off cheap, so I'm betting the punishment will be a slap on the wrist! :bang:

Last edited:

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Big deal, he works, he gets paid...the NCAA doesn't like it because they don't profit. Who is hurt from this? He may be an immature *******, but so are a lot of guys his age.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Big deal, he works, he gets paid...the NCAA doesn't like it because they don't profit. Who is hurt from this? He may be an immature *******, but so are a lot of guys his age.

True. And the last i checked his parents' $$$ isn't his. If he has the talent he'll get his crack at the NfL, and if not, so what.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm betting he did it on purpose. Can't quit -- parents won't let him -- but doesn't want to be at A&M anymore. He figured another way out. He can go back to Tyler and work on his golf game and drink beer now.

I agree I said that the day the story came out. Apparently there are multiple eye witnesses who saw Manziel signing stuff so really all the NCAA has to do is verify that money changed hands and he's in trouble. The standard is they let the athlete repay the amount of the violation, sit out some games, and get reinstated but in his case there is some speculation the NCAA may not do that because they see it as intentional.

Note, I pointed this out on the UA board a couple of years ago there's a certain website for Arizona sports that did something very similar to this with 4 kids in Arizona mens basketball recruiting class 2 years ago. They were giving away autographed tshirts and pictures signed by the 4 freshmen in that class(Turner, Nick Johnson, Sidiki Johnson and Chol). Apparently even people on that site asked it was an NCAA violation and they were told no because we're not charging money, and they're not yet students at UA. A reporter friend of mine talked to a compliance officer he knows and said completely untrue, if that situation had gotten back to the NCAA all 4 athletes would have been suspended because it's against the rules to use student athletes to market a product, in this case their website. He did say the suspension would have been very minor probably 3 games and a few hundred dollars. Clearly nobody at the NCAA is aware of that or cares because in fact that site still has that thread up where those gifts are proudly talked about, with pics.

Manziels' case is apparently much worse, he apparently DID get paid for it, and he is completely aware that it's against NCAA rules, the kids in the UA situation weren't, they were clearly told it was ok because they weren't being paid.

I don't know what the NCAA is going to do but I completely agree with you I suspect Manziel did it on purpose to try and force the NFL's hand so he can get around waiting.

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To show you how dumb Aggies are...his families filthy rich, so he cheats to make some $$$ & possibly now is going to get punished by the NCAA. He got the big head & drowned in his own fame & hype...he's gonna bust big time as an NFL player!

But Scam Newton & Auburn and then the Buckeyes got off cheap, so I'm betting the punishment will be a slap on the wrist! :bang:

Pot calling the kettle black? BIM!

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He reminds me of Maurice Clarett thinking he too was all that after his freshman year and was going to challenge the NFL eligibility rules. Both idiots. Johnnie more so because he didn't need the money to the extent Clarett did.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He reminds me of Maurice Clarett thinking he too was all that after his freshman year and was going to challenge the NFL eligibility rules. Both idiots. Johnnie more so because he didn't need the money to the extent Clarett did.

Very similar, his own dad admits he's concerned about the amount of drinking his son is doing, just like Clarett. Frankly I think his NFL stock was iffy anyways due to size, but the last few months have probably not helped his stock at all.

Fun kid to watch too bad he couldn't keep it together.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
This is why Freshman should never be awarded the Heisman...

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
If he gets suspended, it will be for 2 games. Remember, A&M and Alabama have a rematch in Week 3 and there is no way he'll be missing that big-money game!

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
He is being investigated for taking money (supposedly 5 figures) from a memorabilia dealer to sign a ton of autographs.

The kids family is very well off, why the hell would he risk his college career for a pittance of what he will potentially make in the NFL? This guy is a dummy.

I am not going to claim he is undraftable, but his stock is clearly plummetting, and if he does get suspended he will have sat out a full season prior to the 2014 draft. The NFL might grant him an exception and allow him to enter a supplemental draft during the next month (like Pryor did) but its doubtful because has not been out of HS long enough to be eligible.

At this point where would you guys be willing to draft him, supplemental this summer or 2014?

"johnny Football" is almost to much for an 17-19 year old to be named. To accept payments for your signature is way to out especially when you come from a wealthy family. Maybe he should be named "Johnny Premadona".

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Lots of fans in College Station are like:

You must be registered for see images

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
saw some things on him recently.......building quite the "Leinart" like reputation as a party boy

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Saw this on reddit. Don't know for sure if it is authentic but I found it funny.

You must be registered for see images attach

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this on reddit. Don't know for sure if it is authentic but I found it funny.

You must be registered for see images attach

You aren't sure? lol

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The NCAA will wait until his college career is over and then punish him. Because that's what they do. Pointless punishments after the fact that mean nothing and cost the player nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz