Manziel facing possible NCAA banishment

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
You are looney tunes if you don't this he's better than McCoy. Not that that's a bad thing.

Yeah you're right. Lol

Johnny Knucklhead has had 1 year, which was pretty damn good, Colt was a star basically his whole career at Texas. JM won the Heisman, I'll give him that but IMO Colt is the better pure passer of the 2 IMO. Too bad teams are scared to give Colt his shot at QB for more than 6-7 games cause I think he's better than average.

McCoy was one of the most decorated college QBs in the history of the NCAA, especially the Big 12/SWC.

1) 2 time Big 12 POY
2) 2 time all American
3) 3 time Bowl MVP
4) 9th all time passing leader yds
5) 9th all time in passing TDs
6) 2nd winningest QB in college football history

Etc

Until Manziel proves his talent throwing the rock again, I still say Colt is the better QB.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The NCAA will wait until his college career is over and then punish him. Because that's what they do. Pointless punishments after the fact that mean nothing and cost the player nothing.

The question is whether or not Texas A&M lets him play or if the NCAA gives him permission to play if they are still investigating. USC had to forfeit their games because they played with an ineligible player. Does Texas A&M want to take that risk?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The question is whether or not Texas A&M lets him play or if the NCAA gives him permission to play if they are still investigating. USC had to forfeit their games because they played with an ineligible player. Does Texas A&M want to take that risk?

I don't see why not. Does anyone care about games forfeited after the fact? How many people remember OU had to forfeit games in 2005? People only remember the record on the field.

The NCAA has to walk a fine line with things like this. If they can't prove the extracurricular activity gives the school a recruiting advantage could they have constitutional issues in preventing a person from earning money? They already have that lawsuit over EA sports.

To me it would be like me forbidding an employee from selling things on eBay. And firing them if they did it anyway.

I've always thought the best way to cheat in recruiting is to have one of your Billionaire boosters start an independent minor league baseball team and sign 8-10 guys the football coaches really want to pro baseball contracts.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...14-million-richer-still-clemsons-starting-qb/ :D

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I heard most scouts have him as a third rounder based on talent alone. He

doesnt have a strong enough arm for my liking

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, apparently they have him on video discussing it with the dealer. Got paid $7500 bucks... wanted the money for "new rims" on his ride.

Awesome. Good for you Johnny Football. Polish those rims nice and shiny on draft day, it may bring you comfort as your draft slide costs you hundreds of thousands, if not millions in cash.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...johnny-manziel-took-7500-autographing-helmets

An East Coast autograph broker told ESPN on Tuesday that Johnny Manziel was paid $7,500 for signing approximately 300 mini- and full-sized helmets on Jan. 11-12 while he was attending the Walter Camp Football Foundation event.

On the videos, which the broker said were recorded without Manziel's knowledge, ESPN heard Manziel say "you never did a signing with me" and that if the broker were to tell anyone, he would refuse to deal with him again in the future. Manziel, who appeared comfortable throughout the video recordings, also said if asked, he would say he had simply been approached by various autograph seekers.
At one point, ESPN heard a broker ask Manziel if he would take additional cash to sign with special inscriptions, but Manziel declined, indicating he had done that before and it led to questions. The video does not show Manziel accepting cash, which the broker alleges happened three times. The broker told ESPN that Manziel said he wanted money for new rims for his vehicle.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
The NCAA will wait until his college career is over and then punish him. Because that's what they do. Pointless punishments after the fact that mean nothing and cost the player nothing.

Plus, the NCAA is probably making a lot of money from Manziel jerseys and t-shirts right now. Don't want to cut off that revenue stream.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus, the NCAA is probably making a lot of money from Manziel jerseys and t-shirts right now. Don't want to cut off that revenue stream.

A&M alone made more than 30 million off of him last year.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but college football players are the most exploited of all athletes in the US. I can understand why Manziel and the OSU players can rationalize getting some slice of that pie.

But, a rule is a rule, and he should be punished. Of course, I thought it was a slam dunk Cam Newton was getting punished, so we'll see.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
A&M alone made more than 30 million off of him last year.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but college football players are the most exploited of all athletes in the US. I can understand why Manziel and the OSU players can rationalize getting some slice of that pie.

But, a rule is a rule, and he should be punished. Of course, I thought it was a slam dunk Cam Newton was getting punished, so we'll see.

:thud:

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I barely follow college football, but this is at least the third time I've heard of this guy getting bad press in the past few months.

Sounds like an entitled brat...or Oakland Raider.

Or the Justin Bieber of college football.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Unconventional delivery
Less than desirable height
Had a superb line protecting him last year (understatement) in a favorable system
A bit of a "hurler" without an NFL harm

History won't be kind to this guy

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unconventional delivery
Less than desirable height
Had a superb line protecting him last year (understatement) in a favorable system
A bit of a "hurler" without an NFL harm

History won't be kind to this guy

To be fair, he is extremely elusive and dodged many sacks by great defensive players. What he did last year was not luck or solely a system. Sumlin's teams have thrown for big yardage, but he never had anyone gash defenses with the run like he did.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
To be fair, he is extremely elusive and dodged many sacks by great defensive players. What he did last year was not luck or solely a system. Sumlin's teams have thrown for big yardage, but he never had anyone gash defenses with the run like he did.

Any athletic QB would look elusive behind Jake Matthews and Luke Joeckel and he won't survive long running like that in the NFL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After what Russell Wilson (who also played behind a beast of a line) has done I think smaller QBs who ooze ability will start getting a lot more respect. But IMO what makes Wilson so good is his leadership and he learns so quick from his mistakes... I dont see those traits in Johnny.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
But Manziel could learn. He's only 20 years old. He had a historically great year at 19 years old. He can definitely learn and get better.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After what Russell Wilson (who also played behind a beast of a line) has done I think smaller QBs who ooze ability will start getting a lot more respect. But IMO what makes Wilson so good is his leadership and he learns so quick from his mistakes... I dont see those traits in Johnny.

Wilson also appears to have a much stronger arm than Manziel.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wilson also appears to have a much stronger arm than Manziel.

I don't know why everyone thinks this about Manziel. He made a lot of accurate deep throws last year and made a lot of throws, with zip, off the wrong foot so they were basically all arm, on scrambles that hit receivers on the numbers way past the line of scrimmage. If you didn't see many of his games last year, you can see numerous throws like that on youtube highlights.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why everyone thinks this about Manziel. He made a lot of accurate deep throws last year and made a lot of throws, with zip, off the wrong foot so they were basically all arm, on scrambles that hit receivers on the numbers way past the line of scrimmage. If you didn't see many of his games last year, you can see numerous throws like that on youtube highlights.
He looked pretty NFL like in the Bama game, I am pretty sure.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not saying he has a weak arm, just I don't think it's close to Wilson's.

Everyone agreed Wilson had a first round arm, he was too short.