The 2024 NBA playoffs thread

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I don’t think Irving is a garbage human. I don’t know much about him before he came to Dallas. But since he has been in Dallas he has turned the team around as the leader of that team.
listen here dallas fan slash respectable poster slash having the best time of his life

happy for you - but don't for one second think i condone kyrie - let's just not go there

my post was about him being so unlikely to lead the team

Lorenzo

Reaction score
listen here dallas fan slash respectable poster slash having the best time of his life

happy for you - but don't for one second think i condone kyrie - let's just not go there

my post was about him being so unlikely to lead the team
ok

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think Irving is a garbage human. I don’t know much about him before he came to Dallas. But since he has been in Dallas he has turned the team around as the leader of that team.
Beyond his anti-vax, conspiracy theory spewing crap, he’s also a vehement antisemitic piece of trash. That might not matter to you, but it’s sure as hell matters to me.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
every team could've had every player - this whole we should've known who to get thing is self torture - be it trade or draft pick - it's different from the wanting to win a championship every year torture - i don't get it - especially with all the travel back in time movies - never works out - everything goes wrong and you wish it was all the way it originally was

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Passing on Halliburton bothers me a lot more than Luka. Smith over Halliberton seemed just as stupid then as it does now.
Halliburton hurts, but Luka’s gonna go down as one of the best players of all time… like possible top 10 player ever. We’ve never had that type of player. That one hurts much more for me.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
While I don't disagree, I actually think his footwork and body positioning is what makes him so good at defending. He is so good at anticipating and then sliding to where the offensive player is going and just stonewalls them.
It’s both those things combined with being stocky and strong. I haven’t seen the guy he can’t defend yet. It’s a special guy that can defend anyone effectively on the court.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s both those things combined with being stocky and strong. I haven’t seen the guy he can’t defend yet. It’s a special guy that can defend anyone effectively on the court.

He's still the most disappointing kid at UCLA I can remember since maybe Stuart Gray. Not fair he had a knee issue that year, apparently had Osgood Schlatter at the time but all the reports were he was the best player on the team in preseason practices and then the games started and he was good, but nothing like what we were expecting. Couldn't make outside shots, struggled to finish against size. The famous game against WSU where ironically Klay Thompson went off on him and Howland called him out and that was really it apparently he decided then he was going pro. Everyone knew he had NBA talent and in hindsight he was clearly right about Howland but it was such a disappointing year, that whole freshman class was overrated and Jrue went pro and became the guy we were all expecting at UCLA.

Great guy, donates tons of money, the way he handled his wife when she was sick was amazing.

I know lots of UCLA fans who had a bad impression of him when he left that have now become fans of his.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
every team could've had every player - this whole we should've known who to get thing is self torture - be it trade or draft pick - it's different from the wanting to win a championship every year torture - i don't get it - especially with all the travel back in time movies - never works out - everything goes wrong and you wish it was all the way it originally was
The mavericks almost drafted Michael Jordan. They were so close, 1 pick behind the bulls. They got sam Perkins instead. My dad used to talk about that for years and I didn’t understand it because I was only a year old in 1984. I don’t even know if Dallas was going to draft Michael if he fell to them, apparently they were. Portland had to be the worst with the we should have drafted this guy scenario for passing on Michael. They got Sam Bowie a pick ahead of him.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The mavericks almost drafted Michael Jordan. They were so close, 1 pick behind the bulls. They got sam Perkins instead. My dad used to talk about that for years and I didn’t understand it because I was only a year old in 1984. I don’t even know if Dallas was going to draft Michael if he fell to them, apparently they were. Portland had to be the worst with the we should have drafted this guy scenario for passing on Michael. They got Sam Bowie a pick ahead of him.
The Portland pass is the one people always talk about.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The Portland pass is the one people always talk about.
For sure. It was more of a local thing for Dallas. They sucked so bad after their short little 80’s spurt died out and a lot of fans played the what if game with MJ. MJ was the only one who could sell out their arena in the 90’s. One of the Dallas broadcasters, Dale Hansen, actually used to do MJ countdowns before he came to Dallas for a game. he actually started in the bit in 1984 and MJ always acknowledged it when he came to Dallas. I think the bit even made it to the last dance. My best pre dirk/nash memory of the mavs was when they upset the 1998 bulls at reunion arena. I think Dallas had like 13 wins that year. I could be off by a year.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's going to pain me if Luka gets a ring before our team does but it looks like he is at least going to have a shot if they field a decent team for the next decade or so. Damn, this franchise sucks at drafting and luck in the lottery. Also, because of recent trades, we are likely going to have to field competitive teams that go nowhere until we are in full control of our draft again. Then after that, we likely have to bottom out again. So, basically we may not get it done until I am a very old man.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's going to pain me if Luka gets a ring before our team does but it looks like he is at least going to have a shot if they field a decent team for the next decade or so. Damn, this franchise sucks at drafting and luck in the lottery. Also, because of recent trades, we are likely going to have to field competitive teams that go nowhere until we are in full control of our draft again. Then after that, we likely have to bottom out again. So, basically we may not get it done until I am a very old man.
Yup. Only way this team contends in the next five to ten years is if their scouting becomes off the charts and a situation where someone like a Kawhi falls to wherever the hell their first round picks are or they get once in a generation lucky and get a Jokic in the second.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Only way this team contends in the next five to ten years is if their scouting becomes off the charts and a situation where someone like a Kawhi falls to wherever the hell their first round picks are or they get once in a generation lucky and get a Jokic in the second.
They are going to take another run with Durant but when this likely doesn't work? I fully endorse trading Booker while he still has maximum value. He isn't a #1 and we could get started earlier in the process.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It really sucks for those fans who are already old men:)