What single play will you remember most on your deathbed?

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
The Fitz Super Bowl TD reception, and Gonzo's World Series winning hit are probably my top 2 as well; but, I'd throw in Thunder Dan Majerle's dunk over Manute Bol to this list, since it hasn't been called out yet. I know he was called for a charge, but being at the game, and the thunderous ovation he got for it still gives me goosebumps.

Go Cards.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Fitz Super Bowl TD reception, and Gonzo's World Series winning hit are probably my top 2 as well; but, I'd throw in Thunder Dan Majerle's dunk over Manute Bol to this list, since it hasn't been called out yet. I know he was called for a charge, but being at the game, and the thunderous ovation he got for it still gives me goosebumps.

Go Cards.

Speaking of dunks.... I always loved the epic dunk John Starks put on Jordan

Attachments

• starks.jpg
    starks.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 132

HotSauce

Veteran
Reaction score
Football will probably be the last thing on my mind on my death bed.

However, I'd say O.J. Anderson's big run vs. the Cowboys in his first NFL game ranks pretty high to me. I thought the team had arrived. Boy was I wrong.

This wasn't a play, but I think that I'll remember the day that TE J.V. Cain died at practice more than anything else.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Offsides, really? On an Offensive Tackle. In which game did that happen?

It was a false start vs the Rams with the Cards inside the Rams 20. We were sitting not 20 yards away almost dead even with the los. One of the most bogus calls of all time. Davis didn't move before the snap.

If we're going to post plays we don't want to remember two are from 2006. The fumble vs the Rams and Rackers missed FG vs the Bears.

The Cards had a great team that just imploded after those two heartbreakers plus blowing the KC game. Rallied to run the table in Division games going 3-0 vs SF,SEA, and STL, and two years later were in the SuperBowl with most of the same players in key roles.

False start, sorry. semantics. I thought we were inside the ten but the 20 works too. either way,. we were going to win and it was going to be worth sitting in the friggin sun all day on those bleachers.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
couldnt narrow it down

Good memories:

-Being in the endzone where Kurt Warner threw the game winning TD pass to Hightower to win the NFC championship
-Kurt to Fitz go ahead Super bowl TD
-2001 World series win

Good memories of hilarious losses:

-Cards losing to falcons 6-3 in 2004
-Jets cardinals game from this past season with hilariously horrible QB-ing

Bad memories (but still cherished in a horrible painful way)

-Scott Norwood's wide right
-Music city miracle
-Holmes's Super bowl TD catch
-Kurt Warner's super bowl pick 6
-Robert Horry checking Steve Nash into the boards in game 4

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's probably my second worst sports moment. The Suns just collapsed after that.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That's probably my second worst sports moment. The Suns just collapsed after that.

We had Amare and one other key player out for 1 game and they just had to go without Horry for 1 game. Those suspensions were just stupid.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had Amare and one other key player out for 1 game and they just had to go without Horry for 1 game. Those suspensions were just stupid.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Diaw I think it was.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score

-Scott Norwood's wide right
-Music city miracle
-Holmes's Super bowl TD catch
-Kurt Warner's super bowl pick 6

Attachments

• bg.jpg
    bg.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 162

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On my deathbed, I will not be thinking about football. I will be thinking about what comes next.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I was about 20 rows up on the 10 yard line on the visitor side for this play. When I saw there was only one guy on Fitz I knew he would catch it.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most memorable was in high school. Football game against the school JK McKay (son of USC coach John McKay) and Pat Hayden played for. HUGE rivalry. Hayden passed to JK McKay and a friend of mine, a huge Samoan kid, hit McKay with such force we could hear McKay's ribs break. I was sitting five rows up in the stands and will never forget the sound McKay made when all the air left his body. He staggered a bit, spit out some teeth, coughed up a lot of blood and passed out cold. McKay senior came out of the stands and went ballistic on the Samoan kid. Which cleared the bench of all our players. Parents started punching it out in the stands. An ambulance carted off McKay Jr. Police arrested a few parents. And we won. (The game and the fight in the stands. Rich, white-collar Catholic-school parents were NO match for our working class Mexican fathers who spent their days in the groves picking oranges and lived for the Friday night games their sons played in.) THAT's football.
Great story.

The team they played for was Bishop Amat in La Puente.

I played for Redlands High and we played against Bishop Amat in 1972 in Anaheim Stadium. I was a sophomore and played on the kick off team and got to tackle JK McKay really hard on one kick off. Funny you wrote that story and reminded me of this.

What school did you go to?

You had to be in CIF AAAA at that time which was the big schools.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The one indelible NFL memory I have, and what made me a fan for life, was in the Epic in Miami game, Chargers V Miami 1982. The play was Kellen Winslow Sr blocking a Miami FG to send the game to overtime, which the Chargers eventually won.

The play alone is good enough--blocking a game-winning FG to force overtime in the playoffs--but what makes it epic is everything that came before it. Winslow put up one of the single greatest games I've ever seen, even now. Suffering from numerous injuries and dehydration, Winslow put up these epic #'s: 13 catches for 166 yards, a TD, and a blocked FG, a record that stood for 30 years until 2012 when Vernon Davis eclipsed it.

Seeing Winslow carried off the field, towel draped over his head, was an image a 12 year old kid doesn't forget.

You must be registered for see images attach

When they checked him in the locker-room afterward he had a 105 degree temperature and had lost 13 lbs. Simply one of the best games I've ever seen (was a huge Charger fan when Coryell was the coach), coupled with one of the most incredible individual performances before or since.

Said Coryell: "I have coached for 31 or 32 years and this is tremendous...There has never been a game like this. It was probably the most exciting game in pro football history."

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There are so many to pick, but there isn't anything so far that can top 2001 Game 7. I was at a bar, under age in Tucson (20 at the time) but my buddy was head of security and snuck our group of friends in. I was hammered, and for some reason there was a HUGE group of typical douche Yankee's fans there. When we got down, they ran their mouths and beat their chests like we all knew they would.

Then comes up the greatest closer of all time. Cooked. We are cooked. NY has the whole 9/11 thing and the great storyline if they win. The rest was history.

Look, there are some amazing Cardinals plays I could list, the Larry TD in the superbowl was amazing, and I literally almost got thrown out of Cadillac Ranch for climbing on top of my booth after that play while it felt like the world was shaking.

But beating the greatest closer of all time in Game 7? That's the stuff legends are made of.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only because I was there to see it...the Mel Gray catch/no catch vs the Redskins in St. Louis.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is another for me and it was a significant play because the Bruins had beaten the Flyers something like 30 straight times in Boston before that. After that, the Flyers couldn't be beaten and eventually took the Cup.

As for Cardinal memories, here are a few(good and bad):

-Beating the Eagles in week 9 in 1978 snapping an 12 game losing streak dating to the previous season. This is also the first football game I ever saw live.

-Being there when Jacke kicked the FG that put us in the playoffs for the first time in a gazillion years.

-Neil O'Donahue missing a potential game winning FG against the Redskins in 1984.

-Jay Feely scoring a TD.

-Slaughtering the Panthers in the divisional round of the 2008 playoffs.

-Beating the Patriots in NE this past season.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
That Fitz play in the Superbowl would have been mine as well but I will go with DT john Mendenhall walking over and kicking Conrad Dobler in the butt while he was bent over in the huddle. That will always be the funniest thing I ever saw in football.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Best play ever.

Helps that there was a speechless Cowboy announcing the game too.
wow LOL....a regular season game at that. but I might remember that one on my death bead because I was there cheering for dallas.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I won't remember any unless Cards win a Super Bowl.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Football-Michael Irvin's second TD catch in Superbowl 27 against the bills. It was a beautiful play and at the end of the first half(believe it or not was the KO play of the game IMO)

Vince Young's game winning trot in the rose bowl against the greatest college football team in the history of NCAA.

Basketball-Dirk's and 1 against the spurs in game 7 in SanAntonio that tied the game and propelled them to win. the dude has made so many great plays in his career so it's really hard to just pick 1, but for some reason that play and game 7 on the road against the spurs takes the cake. that was the day that dirk and the mavs went from a playoff loser to a real champion contender.

Baseball-Rangers game 6 world series one strike away and Nelson Cruz was out of position and failed to track down a line drive on the warning track. the rest is history.

Hockey-Bret Hull's illegal goal to win the stanley cup against buf sabres. they really hate dallas teams there for good reason.

Last edited:

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
Being a Cardinals fan, I mostly think of bad plays like Steve Bono's 76 yard TD run and the Bills returning an onside kick for a TD. Best by far was Fitz's TD scamper in the Superbowl that so many have mentioned.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Only because I was there to see it...the Mel Gray catch/no catch vs the Redskins in St. Louis.

That one (along with the 2008-2009 NFC Championship Game) might be the one for me.

I wasn't there (saw it on TV), but the amount of time the refs spent figuring out what happened (no replay back then obviously), was excruciating.

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
If we're talking Cardinals football, I have to go with the Fitz Super Bowl TD.

If we're talking anything not Cards football, I have to go with Gibsons HR in the World Series for the Dodgers.