What single play will you remember most on your deathbed?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Sports being such an important part of my life, I was thinking today, knowing that I don't have too much time left, what was the most memorable sporting event play that will probably be the last one I think of fondly, or otherwise, as death approaches. Doesn't have to be the Cardinals or even the sport of football. Simply what play stands out the most for you up to this point in your life, young or old.

IF Cards had held off the Steelers last drive in the Super Bowl, mine would be Larry Fitzgerald's TD run and catch from Warner to win the game. But ......

I suppose mine goes way back to the fun days of being a kid. I pretended to be sick so I could stay home from school to watch the '60 Yankee/Pirates World Series. The Mazeroski walk off H.R. to win it all over the mighty Yankees is still today the biggest sport's shock of my life. My childhood idol was Mickey Mantle, and to this day all these years later I consider that the biggest upset of all time in sports. It was crushing to an 11 yr old kid who loved Mantle and the Yankees.

A distant second, 41 yrs later, might very well be Gonzalez' hit off Rivera to win the Diamondback's world series over the evil Yankees, who I grew up later in life to hate.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Best play ever.

Helps that there was a speechless Cowboy announcing the game too.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blocked punt for OT TD vs. Dallas.

#2 - Fitz TD is #2.

#3 - Mike Eruzione's Goal vs. Russia 1980 Olympics with 10:00 minutes left in 3rd period to put US up 4-3.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

Best play ever.

Helps that there was a speechless Cowboy announcing the game too.

Beat me to it. This was THE play for me. Either that or Dansby's INT to end the Green Bay playoff classic.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Offsides, number 75, offense. Because there is under 10 seconds left, the game is over.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Blocked punt for OT TD vs. Dallas.

#2 - Fitz TD is #2.

#3 - Mike Eruzione's Goal vs. Russia 1980 Olympics with 10:00 minutes left in 3rd period to put US up 4-3.

If we are going through all sports, I would say Gibby's HR in the World Series. I remember everything about that, where I was sitting, who was there, everything.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking of the Luis Gonzalez hit to win the world series also.

Others:

Rex Chapman's running/twisting 3ptr to tie Seattle at the buzzer in the 97 playoffs

Christian Laettner's buzzer beater over Kentucky in 92... 3/4 court pass to Laettner who hit the turnaround jumper for a 104-103 win (he also shot 100% in the game).

Joe Montana to John Taylor for the game winning touchdown in the 1988-89 Superbowl (I grew up in CT without pro sports teams and that superbowl is what got me following football... I made the Cardinals my team when I moved to AZ in 96)

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
all sports? John Paxson's dagger-through-the-heart 3 pointer at the end of 3OT vs the Suns to dash our closest hopes of winning the Finals. Back the we only had the Suns and Cards. And the Cards were hopeless, so the Suns were the only AZ team there was any chance with. The whole city was into it. Like half the cars on the road were painted, and at 6 years old I had "GO SUNS" shaved into the back of my head that my mom would color in purple and orange with marker every morning. EVERYBODY was into it. And then Paxson took it all away :(

Close second was Gonzo's World Series winning RBI vs the Yankees. I didn't actually see it though. I was 16 and left to go to a party when it appeared we had no hope. Bottom of the 9th, down 1, and I believe we had 2 outs. I was driving down the street with a girl I was seeing at the time and people were driving around flashing lights hanging out windows honking horns. It was crazy. I had to turn to the radio and hear it myself to believe it

But the sports moments I remember most probably weren't plays. I am from S. California, as a little kid I was a Raiders (switched to Card when they moved back to OAK) and Lakers fan (switched to the Suns after watching the Suns beat em down at my first live sports game at the Coliseum). But when Bo Jackson got his career ending hip injury and when Magic Johnson got AIDS probably stick out the most. I was so young that I thought sports stars were invincible. Was a huge reality check for me

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
The Fitz TD and punt block TD against the Cowboys are probably mine too.. with a definite shout out to Dansby's OT TD vs. the Packers.

My story on the Cowboys punt block... my buddy and I went to a bar right near his house, were sat randomly with two guys who ended up being pretty cool. They then sat a table of four girls who were Cowboys fans in the hightop next to us. So, seeing as we are four guys and they are four girls, we try to strike up some conversation but they totally blow us off and cheer obnoxiously all game long. When the punt block/TD happened, I recall all of us jumping up, screaming as loud as we could, and doing victory laps around their high top high fiving/celebrating.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Harrison and Holmes TDs at end of both halfs in the Superbowl. :(

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
First of all, I aint gonna knock all the strippers off of me so I can get all misty about some damn pigskin. ;) Second, I don't think Sissy is going to kick the bucket any time soon, just has a flare for the dramatic and he loves setting up the polls, but I like the guy. :) Third, I will live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rockon:

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
All Time?? Tommie Fraizer's 75 yard TD run in the 1996 Fiesta Bowl.

You must be registered for see images

Cardinals. Aaron Franciscos Interception and fumble in the Super Bowl...I have always hated that guy!

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Fitz TD and punt block TD against the Cowboys are probably mine too.. with a definite shout out to Dansby's OT TD vs. the Packers.

My story on the Cowboys punt block... my buddy and I went to a bar right near his house, were sat randomly with two guys who ended up being pretty cool. They then sat a table of four girls who were Cowboys fans in the hightop next to us. So, seeing as we are four guys and they are four girls, we try to strike up some conversation but they totally blow us off and cheer obnoxiously all game long. When the punt block/TD happened, I recall all of us jumping up, screaming as loud as we could, and doing victory laps around their high top high fiving/celebrating.

lol. I've got a story for that game too. I went to the game with a couple friends. Scalped tickets. It ended up being the only time I had ever bought fake tickets. Dude was gone, we were pissed. Walked over to a bar in Westgate. Rue Louie I think it was called. We got sat next to a group of 4 friends, 3 Cowboys fans and 1 Cards fan. Actually had a really good time watching it there. There was a lot of trash talking back and forth, but all in good fun, nobody got out of hand or crossed any lines

as far as my Cards plays I will remember. Harrison's TD and Fitz's TD from the SB. Dansby's TD vs Packers (I was sitting right behind that endzone with a couple OBNOXIOUS Pack fans in front of me. That victory was amazing). A couple others that weren't at such clutch season moments, but were electrifying and memorable: PP's punt return TD vs. CAR. Wasn't his longest or his most impressive, but it was his first. Then there's his TD return vs. STL. This one was his longest and most impressive. Not to mention the balls it takes to decide to run it from the 1. I was at both of those games too. The crowd went insane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The play at exactly 1 minute of this video and Fitz's TD run in the least 3 minutes of the SB!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Betty Alexander - university dorm room - circa 1972

hah - similar opening thoughts as well, was going to mention several different memorable plays I have had in life :)

I dont ill be thinking about sports very much at that point - will moreso be focused on what is happening in sports right then if anything.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dockett picking off the Eagle lateral, running around, and then falling as the clock ran to 0. Cardinals go to their 1st SB. I was jumping, screaming, and crying all at the same time. No greater sports related emotional moment in my life.
Second would be Syracuse winning the 2003 NCAA championship in a great finish vs Kansas.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch BEAST MODE run against the Saints. Most dominating run.. ever..

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The play at exactly 1 minute of this video and Fitz's TD run in the least 3 minutes of the SB!

Oh and Hightower TD at end of NFC championship game!

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cardinals - Larry's TD.

Most memorable was in high school. Football game against the school JK McKay (son of USC coach John McKay) and Pat Hayden played for. HUGE rivalry. Hayden passed to JK McKay and a friend of mine, a huge Samoan kid, hit McKay with such force we could hear McKay's ribs break. I was sitting five rows up in the stands and will never forget the sound McKay made when all the air left his body. He staggered a bit, spit out some teeth, coughed up a lot of blood and passed out cold. McKay senior came out of the stands and went ballistic on the Samoan kid. Which cleared the bench of all our players. Parents started punching it out in the stands. An ambulance carted off McKay Jr. Police arrested a few parents. And we won. (The game and the fight in the stands. Rich, white-collar Catholic-school parents were NO match for our working class Mexican fathers who spent their days in the groves picking oranges and lived for the Friday night games their sons played in.) THAT's football.

Last edited:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In the Superbowl I still don't think Homes got both feet in. Still believe one foot was on top of the other foot, blocking the 2nd foot from touching the ground by an inch or two.

|_|-|
Foot 1 and 2 (disregard part of the right most line the extends past the horizontal line)

So probably that.

edit: perfect picture of what I was trying to say. (with the feet positioned like that he would need to be 20-40 degrees leaning TOWARDS the middle of the field for both feet to have ever touched.)

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the Superbowl I still don't think Wallace got both feet in. Still believe one foot was on top of the other foot, blocking the 2nd foot from touching the ground by an inch or two.

|_|-|
Foot 1 and 2 (disregard part of the right most line the extends past the horizontal line)

So probably that.

+1. If they ruled the pass incomplete, I dont think they could have overturned it. Typical Cards luck.

That play haunts me, more than the Harrison TD.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Baseball= David Freese homerun against the Rangers

Football = Hightower sealing the win against the Eagles in the NFC Championship game

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave