The Official "What's for Dinner" Thread!

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Grilled chicken breast, gluten free angel hair pasta, lettuce and tomato and Chick peas.

I keep it light before bed time.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Honey glazed ham;
Homemade mashed potatoes;
Steamed green beans in herb butter;
Rum cake for dessert;

And 2 rum & cokes.

Full, relatives are happy, and it's nap time!

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats pommes purée?

http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2010/02/basic-pommes-puree-tips.html
Basic Pommes Puree = potato, salt, pepper, butter and some form of cream.

Pommes Puree is silky smooth and more rich than typical mashed potatoes. It usually has a higher ratio of fat and never contains skins in the final product.

Now, I know how to make great tasting Pommes Puree, but I want to know more about the science involved in making the perfect batch. Someone recently told me that by leaving the peel on the potato as it simmers, and then discarding it later, you will get more potato flavor in the end. Much to my surprise, it did taste more potato-ey this way. I enjoy learning little things that make simple foods better.

I always use Yukon Golds, hot whole milk, unsalted cold butter, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. I don't have a food mill or ricer (and both of these don't make the mixture fine enough) so I'll either pass it through my tamis, or my chinois if I want it to be super smooth.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Bought a turkey at $0.50 / lb, so a 16 lb turkey for $8.

Cooked it Tuesday, so...

Tuesday: Roasted turkey w/ gravy, stuffing, and steamed asparagus.

Wednesday: Turkey enchiladas with refried beans.

Thursday (today): Turkey pot pie.

And planning on:

Friday: Twice baked potatoes and shredded BBQ turkey;

Saturday: Sandwiches and turkey soup.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In honor of Cinco de Mayo, I made carne asada with tomatillo avocado salsa. As someone who is still cooking with the training wheels on, this was a big step for me. I used the broiler setting for the first time ever and discovered what a tomatillo was!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night was carne asada burritos and home made spanish rice. Tonight pot roast.

I find putting only enough water to coat the botom of the crockpot, loading it w veggies and potatos and putting the meat on top makes it the best. The juice marinades the potatoes and etc while the meat doesn't get rubbery. Also sear prior to adding in favorite seasonings

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It's Carne Asada night in the Jones casa.

I tell my kids all the time that the greatest gift their mom gave me was teaching me to make Mexican food. My oldest was like; Oh real nice Dad! :p

I'm like fine, you guys are cool too I guess.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chicken soup.
I'm going to be making Turkey Noodle Soup this weekend (my grandma's recipe--which is ridiculously simple, but she's the one that taught me). I'm really excited about it. LOVE IT.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be making Turkey Noodle Soup this weekend (my grandma's recipe--which is ridiculously simple, but she's the one that taught me). I'm really excited about it. LOVE IT.

I'm surprised you even have time to cook with all of the ass and boob grabbing that's apparently going on over there. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA