Impact from the Manning Rumors

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Kolb would restructure, I would be all for him staying. My fear is that we have another year where Kolb can't stay on the field, Skelton does all the work, and then thinks that Kolb's contract is where he should be.
agreed. I think Kolb is the best QB on our roster, but have serious concerns about his durability. Even if he were more durable, I still don't believe his play is in any way worthy of his pay

but Peyton would be a huge upgrade. Like pentium 3 processor to a core i7

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL that wad complete and utter sarcasm. I actually went back and forth with Urban today and he said you have to " kick the tires" on Manning which is BIG change from last week.

Shane wake up bro. It doesnt mean it's going to happen but denying the smoke out there is just silly at this point. First Casserly, then Mort, and now Schefter. You don't need link, just keep up on Twitter.

This stuff isn't being pulled from thin air. At very least Manning camp is defining the market.

You can be damn sure this is ongoing conversation in Tempe and the timing actually works in Cards favor. The smoke part and cardinals being interested is old news at this point. Now it's a) is he healthy? And b) are we going to get him?

So to answer Chris question. I think this has very little to do with Kolb other then he was injured and played below average all year. But under normal circumstances Cards would keep him for 2012. But this is Peyton freaking Manning and him coming available potentially is game changer.

Peyton > Kolb obviously. Just that simple.

Listen Casserly outright said he got it from no inside info and based it just off of our QB situation. If you are seriously trying to tell me that you dont think that Schefter puts things out there to spark conversation and to "make news" I really dont know what to tell you. been done for years by folks at ESPN and in the BIG name market in the NFL. Speculation is rampant and people WILL report on it just to get a rise. INCLUDING Schefter. It doesnt matter if he says its the cards Peyton freaking Manning is involved in the rumor and thats all that matters to get you and people like you in a freaking tizzy. Just because you so wish that it doesnt come out of thin air doesnt make it so. No matter how much you or Chris try and say otherwise.

Wow you got Urban to Admit that if healthy you "have to kick the tires" Wow that is some revelation right there let me tell ya. That is a far cry from Urban reporting that the Cards have interest in Manning which is absolutely nowhere to be found or even implied.

You got me. you convinced me. We may as well start buying Manning jersey's right now. Im headed over to NFLshop.com right now.

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2012/01/22/on-championship-sunday-a-little-cardinals/

Last edited:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wish it to happen, but I still don't think it will. If he were to become a Az Cardinal, it would probably be because he sat out another year to further his healing process and could be ready to go after we go through another season of concussions and growing pains.

If he is good to go this year, I see no reason why he would put that neck behind our line. I know the guy is the best at reading blitzes, but he can't be constantly taking hits and this will most likely factor in when it comes decision time.

Outlook looks Grimm, because we given up the most sacks in the last two years. We've probably had the most QBs to leave a game due to injury in the last 2 years as well. Peyton is one smart cookie, I think you will find him behind a better line.
Here are my links.

Attachments

• links.jpeg
    links.jpeg
    12.2 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish it to happen, but I still don't think it will. If he were to become a Az Cardinal, it would probably be because he sat out another year to further his healing process and could be ready to go after we go through another season of concussions and growing pains.

If he is good to go this year, I see no reason why he would put that neck behind our line. I know the guy is the best at reading blitzes, but he can't be constantly taking hits and this will most likely factor in when it comes decision time.

Outlook looks Grimm, because we given up the most sacks in the last two years. We've probably had the most QBs to leave a game due to injury in the last 2 years as well. Peyton is one smart cookie, I think you will find him behind a better line.
Here are my links.

Crap!!! Now you went and made me hungry. :D

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crap!!! Now you went and made me hungry. :D

It would probably start another debate... but Dawg can I have my Johsonville Brat with catsup.... I can't stand mustard..... but a little kraut and onions will be ok.... also I like the bun toasted on the grille too.:)

I've heard some people say it's sacreligious to eat catsup on a brat.... but I'm on the other side of the aisle on this issue

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It would probably start another debate... but Dawg can I have my Johsonville Brat with catsup.... I can't stand mustard..... but a little kraut and onions will be ok.... also I like the bun toasted on the grille too.:)

I've heard some people say it's sacreligious to eat catsup on a brat.... but I'm on the other side of the aisle on this issue
I don't do the brats, I don't know why. I love me some hot links though, so spicy you need two buns. A definite must try if you haven't, most good BBQ spots have them but some get crazy and cut them up while adding their own sauce. I did make some Brats for Nash and Marion a few years back when I was cheffing at the FBR golf dohickey, hooked them up nice with the beer sauteed onions.:) (we jacked this thread real good:D)

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
My opinions:

No. If you aren't confident he can be your QB of the future, you are less likely to go through the potential ups and downs in a season.

I imagine all of this sucks pretty bad for Kolb. Fitz's family keeps babbling about "Manning to Fitz". Media is pushing this fairly heavily, even while games are going on. If Manning does actually get cut, watch out.

Further a large portion of the fan base would rather Skelton start over you. Who knows what the team thinks.

Not the kind of work environment I would want.

Again, if it is truly coming from the organization as I suspect, then it has to. The Cardinals clearly would like to upgrade over the QB they invested a fortune in. It means that investment doesn't mean as much as I thought it did. That favors an even playing field.

If Kolb is worth a damn, he'll let that roll off his back (if he returns). Two basics fundamentals for mental toughness in the pros is to ignore the chatter from fans and media, as their opinions will only affect you if you let it.

This stuff happens all of the time. In Aaron Rodgers first season as a starter, he was getting booed at TC, and a six-year old walked up to him and said,"we'll never love you." I think he's doing fine now.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's not an aisle buddy, you're on the other side of the Grand Canyon on this one.:D

Steve

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I am not sure if there is a better time to speculate on the possibility of landing an elite quarterback than at this point of the off-season.

I really think that Peyton will be cut by the Colts before he gets that roster bonus and here is why:

"ESPN Business Analyst Andrew Brandt reports that it would cost the Colts about $50.5 million to keep Peyton Manning ($28 million option + $7.4 million salary) and Andrew Luck ($15.1 million in bonus and salary) on their roster for next season. A number like that is what will keep trade rumors afloat all offseason."

If he is cut, I cannot think of a reason why the Cardinals would not at least bring him in for a visit/physical.

So while you might want to hold off on those authentic Manning jerseys, it might be a good idea to start putting a little bit away each paycheck so you can order one in mid March. :)

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
There is definitely legs to the story. I don't know tampering rules but if Urban is considered a Cards employee, he's probably not allowed to comment on Manning. Shane is just being argumentative. There are plenty of teams with QB needs. If there is nothing to it, why are the Cards and Miami being the two teams as the most likely destination? Who knows if it will happen and I perosnally think it won't unless Mike B steps in and handles the negotiations like he did with Fitz, but there are plenty of signs, therefore smoke, of the Cards being a player if he gets released.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First off, if the team pursued a healthy Manning I really don't think it can be taken as too much of an insult to Kolb. This is Peyton Manning we're talking about, and though I think he is much better than he's given credit for here, Kolb is a serious health risk. With that said, So is Peyton. Still, he's the best QB of all time and he would have a very short list of potential suitors and we would likely be at the top or nearby. Ownership would not pass up the PR value IMO. Looking at teams who are a good quarterback away from being serious contenders, we have to be at the very least, in the top three. Add on that Peyton has a house here, we have fabulous weather, a dome, Larry Fitzgerald and a better defense than he's ever had, it's not hard to see why there would be interest from his side. The reason all of this is pointless though IMO is that Manning is most likely going to retire. The guy has been out of the game for like a year and a half and still isn't near ready to be hit again.

If healthy, I still think Kolb will be our QB in '12. Why, do you ask? Because only the morons on this board can watch the two of them play and think that Skelton brings more to the team lol.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen Casserly outright said he got it from no inside info and based it just off of our QB situation. If you are seriously trying to tell me that you dont think that Schefter puts things out there to spark conversation and to "make news" I really dont know what to tell you. been done for years by folks at ESPN and in the BIG name market in the NFL. Speculation is rampant and people WILL report on it just to get a rise. INCLUDING Schefter. It doesnt matter if he says its the cards Peyton freaking Manning is involved in the rumor and thats all that matters to get you and people like you in a freaking tizzy. Just because you so wish that it doesnt come out of thin air doesnt make it so. No matter how much you or Chris try and say otherwise.

Wow you got Urban to Admit that if healthy you "have to kick the tires" Wow that is some revelation right there let me tell ya. That is a far cry from Urban reporting that the Cards have interest in Manning which is absolutely nowhere to be found or even implied.

You got me. you convinced me. We may as well start buying Manning jersey's right now. Im headed over to NFLshop.com right now.

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2012/01/22/on-championship-sunday-a-little-cardinals/

Doing so would be in direct violation of tampering rules. They also cannot talk with Manning or Condon. (his agent)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing to see here.

IF healthy AND cut we will throw the barn at him. I dont think the two will go together. There is nothing to speculate on.

If he is available we will offer him everything. no brainer. everyone who isnt super solid at QB will.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Sounds like a bunch of made up crap from Schefter to me just to get a rise. Which with you it seems to be working :D

Him and a lot of other people, including yourself.

What to do with Kolb should have nothing to do with Manny in my opinion. Yet, my opinion is blinded by my belief in Double Deuce.

I think Skelton is right around where Kolb is as a QB righ now. Thus I don't understand holding onto Kolb and his contract.

If Manning falls through, see if you can get Byron Leftwich on the cheap heap and go with Skelton.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

What color ?

I think the black Manning jersey would look cool.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Here are my links.

Pass the mustard, and put a Manning burger on the fire.

NOTE: I tried to put a Kolb burger on the grill and missed it. Then I bent down to pick the Kolb burger up, hit my head on the grill and now I am concussed.

The Skelton burger was awful till the last bite, which was great, and satisfied my hunger. Of course the cheese fell off after putting a slice on the burger two times in a row, but it all got sorted out.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If healthy, I still think Kolb will be our QB in '12. Why, do you ask? Because only the morons on this board can watch the two of them play and think that Skelton brings more to the team lol.

Then I am a moron.

Rather be in that party, then the blindmen who seem to think Kolb is so much better than Skelton and want to invest time, and money into developing a 27 year old 5 year vet that was signed to be a starter, than a 23 year old player at a 10th of the cost with the same amount of upside.

I guess all Skelton did was win, the bastard. We don't need wins. We need a QB that looks good! Maybe if we get Skelton a cool towel to hang outside his pants, and nice half sleave under armor. Oh, and have Andy Reid say he is a great QB while he picks our pockets, that will do it!

But to each his own stupidity.

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
ESPN basically said 'add the Cardinals to the list of teams that would be interested in Manning if he's released', a list which also apparently includes the Jets and Dolphins. If they weren't interested after the success with Kurt Warner at the end of his career, they haven't been paying attention. Having interest and actually signing him are two very different things IMO.

If Kevin Kolb is hurt or offended by the Cardinals having interest in one of top 2 or 3 quarterbacks of our generation so be it. It's not like he set the world on fire last season or in Philly.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If Kevin Kolb is hurt or offended by the Cardinals having interest in one of top 2 or 3 quarterbacks of our generation so be it. It's not like he set the world on fire last season or in Philly.

I was offended by Kolb's play last year, so I guess it all works out.

I bet he is offended by my offense to his offense, and the offense of his offensive QB play.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders;2580187]In my opinion, there is just too much smoke right now about the Cardinals interest in Peyton Manning for it not to be coming from the organization. It was the same thing last off season when rumors started coming out early about acquiring Kolb.

Which makes me wonder, are the Cardinals going to make the move to cut Kolb regardless of what happens with Manning?

Kolb is already facing the pressure of a QB controversy and returning from injuries. Now the organization that paid him is looking to replace him.

Can you pay him that 7 million dollars and hope he overcomes all of that? Can you pay him that 7 million dollars, knowing that Skelton could end up being your starter for most of the season anyway? Can you risk setting that salary expectation for Skelton later?

I don't see any way the Cards can go into next season without Kolb unless they do get Manning. I'm a Double Duece Moron like Rugby but there's no way I'd want to start 2012 with Skelton and Bartel as our QBs. Not just to save $7million when the cap is as high as it is and my franchise is worth close to a billion dollars. The only way I could see doing that would be if I were certain DDuece was the QBOF and I wanted to avoid a QB controversy. But then again we're talking about a franchise that had the Warner/Leinart situation for 4 years.

As for DDuece and his salary expectations I wouldn't worry about that because if he plays well enough to deserve top QB money we can go with him and a vet minimum backup. When is DDuece a free agent? After the 2013 season? Don't know for sure.

I don't know what to think about the health monitoring issue. You would think the Cards would want to stay on top of it but then is that something most NFL teams do?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I don't see any way the Cards can go into next season without Kolb unless they do get Manning. I'm a Double Duece Moron like Rugby but there's no way I'd want to start 2012 with Skelton and Bartel as our QBs. Not just to save $7million when the cap is as high as it is and my franchise is worth close to a billion dollars. The only way I could see doing that would be if I were certain DDuece was the QBOF and I wanted to avoid a QB controversy. But then again we're talking about a franchise that had the Warner/Leinart situation for 4 years.

As for DDuece and his salary expectations I wouldn't worry about that because if he plays well enough to deserve top QB money we can go with him and a vet minimum backup. When is DDuece a free agent? After the 2013 season? Don't know for sure.

I don't know what to think about the health monitoring issue. You would think the Cards would want to stay on top of it but then is that something most NFL teams do?

Skelton has two years remaining on his contract

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then I am a moron.

Rather be in that party, then the blindmen who seem to think Kolb is so much better than Skelton

You're right, you are a better judge of talent than the entire Cardinal's staff. I get that you can't judge talent, but shouldn't you be able to bank on that by now and just trust that when professionals say one thing and you think otherwise, that you may be wrong? There's a reason why Kolb was reinserted to the starting lineup everytime he was healthy. It's because he was and is better. It's plain as day to see so I'm not going to argue it anymore.
than a 23 year old player at a 10th of the cost with the same amount of upside.

According to you...

I guess all Skelton did was win, the bastard. We don't need wins.

So by your logic, we should just cut Kolb and trade for Vince Young or Tebow, who are well-known to "just win". Good call. Hey, maybe we can talk Trent Dilfer out of retirement...

But to each his own stupidity.

:thumbup:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
You're right, you are a better judge of talent than the entire Cardinal's staff. I get that you can't judge talent, but shouldn't you be able to bank on that by now and just trust that when professionals say one thing and you think otherwise, that you may be wrong?

No.

Brought to you by the same people that brought you the hits like:

1. Derek Anderson
2. Travis LaBoy
3. Buster Davis
4. Levi Brown
5. Etc., etc., etc.

There's a reason why Kolb was reinserted to the starting lineup everytime he was healthy. It's because he was paid to be the starter.

FTFY

It's plain as day to see so I'm not going to argue it anymore.

But, you go on to argue it. Pick a lane MD. Either debate or don't. Regardless of the mindless rehasing. :D

So, I can't judge talent, but you can ? PLFFFFFFFTTTTT!

Bull-pucky.

Actually, I should put it like this.....

So, we can't judge talent, and Rod Graves can ? PLFFFFFFFTTTTT!

Bull-pucky.

I mean Calais Campbell is so good in Graves eyes, he is not even going to pay him. He is that good.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You're right, you are a better judge of talent than the entire Cardinal's staff. I get that you can't judge talent, but shouldn't you be able to bank on that by now and just trust that when professionals say one thing and you think otherwise, that you may be wrong? There's a reason why Kolb was reinserted to the starting lineup everytime he was healthy. It's because he was and is better. It's plain as day to see so I'm not going to argue it anymore.

Just because guys are paid doesn't mean they always make a better judgement about a player than a hard core fan. That's been proven time and again.

There is just as much a possibility that Kolb got put back into the lineup the only time he got healthy because the Cards had paid a huge price for him and had to justify that expenditure and had nothing to do with his being better than DDuece.

Ironically Kolb didn't get his job back in Philly when he got healthy even after having those two huge games vs SF and ATL.

Both QBs were mediocre at best last season. I like DDuece more because he seems to me to bring that something special to the huddle that Kolb doesn't.
It's the intangibles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard