Impact from the Manning Rumors

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, there is just too much smoke right now about the Cardinals interest in Peyton Manning for it not to be coming from the organization. It was the same thing last off season when rumors started coming out early about acquiring Kolb.

Which makes me wonder, are the Cardinals going to make the move to cut Kolb regardless of what happens with Manning?

Kolb is already facing the pressure of a QB controversy and returning from injuries. Now the organization that paid him is looking to replace him.

Can you pay him that 7 million dollars and hope he overcomes all of that? Can you pay him that 7 million dollars, knowing that Skelton could end up being your starter for most of the season anyway? Can you risk setting that salary expectation for Skelton later?

Last week Jurecki got a tweet from Kolb that he was feeling better now that the season is over and is symptom free. When Urban was asked about it, he just referred them back to Jurecki, which means the organization hasn't been monitoring Kolb's symptoms.

I have long believed Kolb would be back on the team next year. Now I am not so sure about that at all. Manning just lets the Cardinals move past Kolb without admitting they made a mistake.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An off hand comment by The guy on TV(casserly) which he admittedly said was just a guess on his part which spread like wildefire on the internet does not equate to smoke. FYI

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An off hand comment by The guy on TV(casserly) which he admittedly said was just a guess on his part which spread like wildefire on the internet does not equate to smoke. FYI

Schefter and multiple sites are now confirming "real interest"

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Urban has said as much as well on Twitter, but it would be "interested as an upgrade", which is what I mentioned.

Smoke everywhere.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Urban released an entire article saying teh whole matter wasnt even worth talking about and stated that you could pretty much guarantee Kolb will be on roster next season.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here you go:

Report: Cardinals are interested in Peyton Manning
Posted by Mike Florio on January 22, 2012, 1:39 PM EST

Getty ImagesSome believe that new Rams coach Jeff Fisher opted against the Dolphins in order to avoid Tom Brady. Instead, the former Titans coach could once again be jostling with Peyton Manning for division titles.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Cardinals have real interest in Eli’s big brother. On March 8, the Colts owe Peyton a $28 million option bonus. Since he can’t be traded before March 13, the only way to not pay the money is to cut him. (Barring, of course, an agreed delay of the due date.)

Schefter goes so far as to say that the Cardinals will pursue Manning if he’s released — something the Cardinals would be prevented from telling Manning directly, given the tampering rules.
Last year, the Cardinals sent a second-round pick and former first-rounder Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to the Eagles for quarterback Kevin Kolb.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Urban released an entire article saying teh whole matter wasnt even worth talking about and stated that you could pretty much guarantee Kolb will be on roster next season.

Yeah that tune has changed recently.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So now that Shane is caught up with the rest of us, back to the original point.

It wasn't "Will we get Peyton Manning?"

It was "What does all of this chatter mean for Kolb's future?"

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sounds like a bunch of made up crap from Schefter to me just to get a rise. Which with you it seems to be working :D

"In my opinion, there is just too much smoke right now about the Cardinals interest in Peyton Manning for it not to be coming from the organization."

Above a pretty bold predictionand start of thread for just meanintg this: It was "What does all of this chatter mean for Kolb's future?"

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Of course Urban said that. Manning is still under contract. If he gets released then everything changes.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Schefter, a respected NFL Information Source, says he has confirmed the Cardinals will pursue Manning if he is released.

Urban has basically confirmed this on twitter.

Jude LaCava was discussing today.

Multiple sites are running stories on it.

All of this well after Casserly's comments.

Your opinion that it is all made up is noted.

Now back to the original question:

What does this mean for Kolb? Why is the organization getting health updates on Kolb from Jurecki? It is all strange.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Shefter, a respected NFL Information Source, says he has confirmed the Cardinals will pursue Manning if he is released.

Urban has basically confirmed this on twitter.

Jude LaCava was discussing today.

Multiple sites are running stories on it.

All of this well after Casserly's comments.

Your opinion that it is all made up is noted.

Now back to the original question:

What does this mean for Kolb? Why is the organization getting health updates on Kolb from Jurecki? It is all strange.

Quote and link for Urban quote confirming this interest please?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All sports writers say things like "insider" just to spark interest doesnt make it fact. And guess what he said it and now Lacava and peopel are talking about it. GO FIGURE. BIG shock...lol

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again Shane,

Your opinion that it is all made up is noted. Thanks for stopping by. God forbid that people who actually talk to organizations and athletes and make their living report on it, not clear it with you first.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again Shane,

Your opinion that it is all made up is noted. Thanks for stopping by. God forbid that people who actually talk to organizations and athletes and make their living report on it, not clear it with you first.

I never said they have to clear anything with me. But just because Schefter spikes a rumor citing "sources" dont make it any more possible than before.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Someone call the Browns and see if their front office is as gullible as ours was last year!

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Urban acknowledged the Shefter tweet, but that is about it

As a member of the organization -- I suspect Urban is probably under orders not to speculate about players under contract given tampering rules.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's Janurary.
Let's talk again in March.

I think the Colts intentions will be known well before their deadline with Manning. And honestly, their actions scream that they are releasing him.

I dont think its too soon to start talking about the scenario... and its not like we have some else to speculate on for the next 2 months.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Urban acknowledged the Shefter tweet, but that is about it

As a member of the organization -- I suspect Urban is probably under orders not to speculate about players under contract given tampering rules.

Yup in fact he told the other tweeter that it was the first he heard of it.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
BTW: Jurecki is reporting on Fox 10 sports tonight that the Cardinals are on Peyton's "short list".

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort