Hey Laker fans

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
In all seriousness, I hope we can agree on one thing:

No matter who wins this series, if that team then goes on to win the Finals, can we please put the idiotic "Defense Wins Championships" mantra to rest? Because it's obvious that both of these teams are offensively oriented -- and you know what, they're both pretty darn good. The lowest score by either team through four games was the Lakers' 106 tonight. Both teams can be competent defensively, through stretches, but neither has a strong defensive identity.

So, deal? Really, I mean it.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
You are using a spray bottle to try and put out a house fire.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Rebounding is a part of defense and that has played a big factor in the series so this is not entirely true. That's the difference between this and a D'Antoni team - we still aren't great defensively (and probably will never be with Amare and Nash on the court) but at least we can grab an occasional board.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rebounding is a part of defense and that has played a big factor in the series so this is not entirely true. That's the difference between this and a D'Antoni team - we still aren't great defensively (and probably will never be with Amare and Nash on the court) but at least we can grab an occasional board.
+1
I couldn't have said it better myself(which is no surprise).
Phil was concerned about the offensive rebounding going into tonights game and for good reason.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. Flat out, no. I've been seriously pissed about the Lakers D this series in EVERY game. This kind of play is entertaining, but it doesn't fly.

You won because our defense couldn't get stops at the end of the game. We left wide open shooters. Look at Kobe's quotes after the game...he isn't upset about scoring a bunch of points. He's pissed that you guys scored at will.

Defense wins championships. No doubt.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
No. Flat out, no. I've been seriously pissed about the Lakers D this series in EVERY game. This kind of play is entertaining, but it doesn't fly.

You won because our defense couldn't get stops at the end of the game. We left wide open shooters. Look at Kobe's quotes after the game...he isn't upset about scoring a bunch of points. He's pissed that you guys scored at will.

I like a mad Kobe that wont pass the ball. He will quit on your team at halftime of game 5.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tyler, you need a hot tub time machine to live in the world you think is reality.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Tyler, you need a hot tub time machine to live in the world you think is reality.

Why because Kobe has never quit on his team before? Even you dont believe that.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Totally agree... and how any Suns fan can't see that we are as close as ever to making it to the NBA finals because we actually play defense (we outrebounded the best rebounding team in the NBA tonight by 15!!!!), is just being stupidly blind!!!

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Or speak the truth. You, me and everybody else knows that Kobe is a poor sport.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Kobe's a machine, it won't be his fault when the Lakers don't win this series just like it wasn't in 2006 and 2007. He's been the best player in the series by a pretty wide margin.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Totally agree... and how any Suns fan can't see that we are as close as ever to making it to the NBA finals because we actually play defense (we outrebounded the best rebounding team in the NBA tonight by 15!!!!), is just being stupidly blind!!!

18 of those were offensive.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

But they might win anyway. What will you say then?

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

That isn't the point. It doesn't matter how poorly the Lakers played D, they lost. Look at the team that won, the Suns. They also played pretty poor defense, but they won. If one of these crappy defensive teams beats the dirty ass Celtics then "Defense loses championships" may make a more appropriate bumper sticker.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
18 of those were offensive.

I know... but to me, rebounding is a mindset that is very similar to defense. Typically, solid rebounding teams are solid defensive teams, period... The Suns are showing that they have improved as a defensive team and can play tough - when they set their minds to it...

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
That isn't the point. It doesn't matter how poorly the Lakers played D, they lost. Look at the team that won, the Suns. They also played pretty poor defense, but they won. If one of these crappy defensive teams beats the dirty ass Celtics then "Defense loses championships" may make a more appropriate bumper sticker.

The day the Suns finally get their title I will make stickers that say "offense wins championships"

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But they might win anyway. What will you say then?

Uhm, that you only started winning games when your zone defense held the Lakers scoring from up in the moon's orbit to down into the stratosphere? You know...defense?

Please don't act like it is your offense that's the difference. Your defense is doing what our defense isn't doing...stopping us enough to win. Key stops to prevent runs. Big rebounds. Things our defense should be doing to you that it isn't.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The day the Suns finally get their title I will make stickers that say "offense wins championships"

Are you going to put that in your will so your great-grandkids can carry it out for you?

:head2head:

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Uhm, that you only started winning games when your zone defense held the Lakers scoring from up in the moon's orbit to down into the stratosphere? You know...defense?

Dude, settle down. I meant the Lakers might win anyway. You just said their defense has been unacceptable, and yet they're 2-2. It's entirely possible that they'll win the series without playing any better defense than they already have. I'm asking whether you'll disown the title just because it doesn't fit some idiot's blueprint of the correct design.

Your defense is doing what our defense isn't doing...stopping us enough to win.

And in the first two games, it was the Laker defense doing that. Isn't that always true?

You're not getting my point. Who wins this series doesn't matter. These are two good offensive teams, who are going to score 100+ pretty much every game. If your offense is good enough to overwhelm the other team's defense, you can be a great team even while giving up a (relatively) big number of points.

Key stops to prevent runs. Big rebounds. Things our defense should be doing to you that it isn't.

So, you aren't willing to win 120-110, like you did in the first two games? Not manly enough?

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Are you going to put that in your will so your great-grandkids can carry it out for you?

:head2head:

LoL Laker fans are so touchy.

My buddy David is the same way, it's all fun and games until you say something about his Lakers then he lashes out like a hormonal teenager.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, you aren't willing to win 120-110, like you did in the first two games? Not manly enough?

I didn't dig it so much, no. The Lakers haven't been an offensive juggernaut at any point this season. In fact, they've been a better defensive team than anything else. Other than the wins, this Mary Todd Lincoln did NOT enjoy the games.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison