Cards to workout DE/LB Ricky Sapp

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The National Football Post reports that former Clemson defensive end Ricky Sapp is scheduled to work out for the Cardinals in April. Sapp is scheduled to work out for the Jets in April as well. Previous teams that have seen what Sapp has to offer include the New England Patriots and the Philadelphia Eagles.

Sapp (6′4″, 245 lbs.) compiled 139 tackles and 16 sacks in a four-year career with Clemson. The defensive end, however, tore his ACL in November of 2008, but managed to recover by starting all 14 games for the Tigers in 2009. Sapp admitted, however, that he played all of 2009 with his knee at around 60% healthy. Though he’s confident he can fully recover, it’s an issue that teams are likely to consider on draft day.

It didn’t affect his 40-yard dash time at the Combine, though. He ran an impressive 4.66, one reason why scouts believe he could thrive as a stand up outside linebacker in a 3-4. Sapp, however, is considered to be a second round talent.

link

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
I live just a few miles from Clemson so I have been able to see alot of this guy. If he were to fall to the third round I would say let's get him. He is fast and if he can get 100% healthy, he cause cause havoc as a pass rusher.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Hmmmm.....

6'4" 245 4.66 forty 100+ tackles. Sounds like a guy used to play for us that just signed with the Dolphins.

I really think that some of these college tweeners like Sapp and Kindle are prime prospects for 3-4 weak side linebackers.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Hmmmm.....

6'4" 245 4.66 forty 100+ tackles. Sounds like a guy used to play for us that just signed with the Dolphins.

I really think that some of these college tweeners like Sapp and Kindle are prime prospects for 3-4 weak side linebackers.

That's a fascinating thought, Duckjake. Good call, man!

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There are still people (specifically Rob Rang from nfldraftscout.com) who believe, if healthy, Sapp could be the best pass rusher in the entire draft. I would be willing to take him in round 2 if he's there. My perfect scenario as of now (which could change 500 times between now and the draft) would be McClain/Weatherspoon in round 1, Sapp in the second, and Troup with one of the thirds.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He may not go in the first round bit I doubt if he would last until our pick in the 2nd round.

Mitch

Reaction score
There are still people (specifically Rob Rang from nfldraftscout.com) who believe, if healthy, Sapp could be the best pass rusher in the entire draft. I would be willing to take him in round 2 if he's there. My perfect scenario as of now (which could change 500 times between now and the draft) would be McClain/Weatherspoon in round 1, Sapp in the second, and Troup with one of the thirds.

Good plan, Binkar!

Mitch

Reaction score
He may not go in the first round bit I doubt if he would last until our pick in the 2nd round.

This is exactly right, az jam...which is why maybe the Cardinals are prepping for a trade down from #26.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Hmmmm.....

I would luv a big time pass rusher, it just can't be ignored because of our need at ILB. We have question marks at all LB positions in my book. We kind of know the potential, but as many coaches say "potential will get me looking for a new job". A "great defensive football player" could be added everywhere except for DE.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I would luv a big time pass rusher, it just can't be ignored because of our need at ILB. We have question marks at all LB positions in my book. We kind of know the potential, but as many coaches say "potential will get me looking for a new job". A "great defensive football player" could be added everywhere except for DE.

But what I'm saying Bucky is that some of these 6'4" 245lb 4.65 forty pass rushers could be converted to WILB. After all almost any guy we draft for the position will have to be converted because almost no college teams play a 3-4.

Buckybird

Reaction score
But what I'm saying Bucky is that some of these 6'4" 245lb 4.65 forty pass rushers could be converted to WILB. After all almost any guy we draft for the position will have to be converted because almost no college teams play a 3-4.

I'm in

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
To take that one step further, almost no Big 12 teams play any type of defense :D.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

I'd be so down with that, plus Spikes and Jacoby Ford in the 3rd/4th.

Buckybird

Reaction score
I'd be so down with that, plus Spikes and Jacoby Ford in the 3rd/4th.

1) McClain/Weatherspoon
2) Sapp
3) Troupe
3) Spikes
4) Ford

Me likey!!! But in reality I just dont see McClain or Weatherspoon being there at #26. Lets all rub or lucky rabbits foot

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just don't see moving Sapp to WILB. I've seen several publications put Sapp and Eric Norwood inside. As a South Carolina graduate and Nc resident I've watched a good deal of each these two's snaps. Nothing I've seen leads me to believ that they can play in space well enough to play the mike. Both excell at pass rushing, however.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1) McClain/Weatherspoon
2) Sapp
3) Troupe
3) Spikes
4) Ford

Me likey!!! But in reality I just dont see McClain or Weatherspoon being there at #26. Lets all rub or lucky rabbits foot

I don't see McClain falling by any means. I honestly don't see any of those guys available at those spots except Ford and Spikes. Oh well, one can wish.

Question:
(I am not into hypotheticals very often, but we have plenty of time to kill.)
Would you trade our 1st and 3rd for 2 of New England's 2nd rounders? The "value points" match up pretty close. It would obviously depend on who is sitting on the board at that time, but to be able to grab 3 of the following players would be great:

Cody
Sapp
Lee
The best of the remaining corners
Cam Thomas
etc.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
1) McClain/Weatherspoon
2) Sapp
3) Troupe
3) Spikes
4) Ford

Nor Sapp or Troupe either. The Cards would look at Sapp in the early 2nd in a trade down, if they can. Then target Troup with hopefully a 3rd that they'd add from the trade.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

3-4 WILB is virtually the same position as a 4-3 WOLB. No team on earth would take this guy in the second to try and change his position. It would make zero sense. The guy's best/only attribute is his pass rush ability, so why would you want to draft him high knowing that you want to play him against his strengths??

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
Sapp looks way too small and undersized to be going up against NFL tackles IMO.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
3-4 WILB is virtually the same position as a 4-3 WOLB. No team on earth would take this guy in the second to try and change his position. It would make zero sense. The guy's best/only attribute is his pass rush ability, so why would you want to draft him high knowing that you want to play him against his strengths??

Totally disagree. Just looking at the difference in Dansby's play from being a 4-3 OLB compared to a 3-4 WILB tells me that.

If the guys only attribute is rushing the passer then no I wouldn't look to him as a 3-4 WILB but if the guy is 6'4" 245lbs and runs a 4.65 forty and has 100 tackles and has exhibited the athletic ability to play in coverage then yes I would look at him at that spot regardless of where he played in college.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Totally disagree. Just looking at the difference in Dansby's play from being a 4-3 OLB compared to a 3-4 WILB tells me that.

If the guys only attribute is rushing the passer then no I wouldn't look to him as a 3-4 WILB but if the guy is 6'4" 245lbs and runs a 4.65 forty and has 100 tackles and has exhibited the athletic ability to play in coverage then yes I would look at him at that spot regardless of where he played in college.

You're impressed that he has 100 career tackles? The most he had in a season was 60. The guy also most assuredly did NOT excell in coverage. Have you watched him at Clemson?

Buckybird

Reaction score
You're impressed that he has 100 career tackles? The most he had in a season was 60. The guy also most assuredly did NOT excell in coverage. Have you watched him at Clemson?

but didnt he play mostly DE in college?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Who cares about that? Does the guy have the size, speed and athleticism to make the switch? If he doesn't then so what? That doesn't detract from my take that some of these "tweener" college DEs could make good WILBs if they do have those attributes.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Who cares about that? Does the guy have the size, speed and athleticism to make the switch? If he doesn't then so what? That doesn't detract from my take that some of these "tweener" college DEs could make good WILBs if they do have those attributes.

Uhhhhh, you do. Maybe a difference of 40 tackles in a year doesn't detract much, but the fact that you made up numbers in your head, then paraded them around this and other threads as if they were real detracts from your credibility. If what you are saying is so right then why make up lies to substantiate it?? C'mon man, you're better than that.

Last edited: